Re: [patch][7.4a] Copyright information in vim.rc is old

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 9, 2013
      On 08/07/13 20:59, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > Ken Takata wrote:
      >
      >> Copyright year in vim.rc (and vim16.rc) seems old.
      >> I think it's better to move to version.h.
      >> Please check the attached patch.
      >
      > Actually, I have been told that only the first year matters.
      > So we can just keep 1996.

      Note that under current international legislation, no © statement is
      required anymore; all original literary works (including program
      sources) are automatically protected until 50 years (in the European
      Union, 70 years) starting at 00:00 hours on the 1st of January following
      the author's death (and, for collective works, the death of the last
      known author). I'm not sure if it's 00:00 UTC or 00:00 local time. Bram
      is a Dutchman, and there are other authors for at least some parts of
      the work, but local laws apply wherever you make a copy.

      The intelligence of any discussion diminishes with the square of the
      number of participants.
      -- Adam Walinsky

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 9, 2013
        Tony Mechelynck wrote:

        > On 08/07/13 20:59, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        > >
        > > Ken Takata wrote:
        > >
        > >> Copyright year in vim.rc (and vim16.rc) seems old.
        > >> I think it's better to move to version.h.
        > >> Please check the attached patch.
        > >
        > > Actually, I have been told that only the first year matters.
        > > So we can just keep 1996.
        > >

        > Note that under current international legislation, no Š statement is
        > required anymore; all original literary works (including program
        > sources) are automatically protected until 50 years (in the European
        > Union, 70 years) starting at 00:00 hours on the 1st of January following
        > the author's death (and, for collective works, the death of the last
        > known author). I'm not sure if it's 00:00 UTC or 00:00 local time. Bram
        > is a Dutchman, and there are other authors for at least some parts of
        > the work, but local laws apply wherever you make a copy.

        The copyright statement is not needed to obtain copyright, but to
        explain to the reader who has claimed copyright. This does matter in
        case things turn bad. In practice there has never been any copyright
        dispute over files in the Vim distribution.

        --
        "I know that there are people who don't love their fellow man,
        and I hate those people!" - Tom Lehrer