[patch][7.4a] Copyright information in vim.rc is old

  • Ken Takata
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 8, 2013
      Hi,

      Copyright year in vim.rc (and vim16.rc) seems old.
      I think it's better to move to version.h.
      Please check the attached patch.

      Regards,
      Ken Takata

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 8, 2013
        Ken Takata wrote:

        > Copyright year in vim.rc (and vim16.rc) seems old.
        > I think it's better to move to version.h.
        > Please check the attached patch.

        Actually, I have been told that only the first year matters.
        So we can just keep 1996.

        --
        So when I saw the post to comp.editors, I rushed over to the FTP site to
        grab it. So I yank apart the tarball, light x candles, where x= the

      • Tony Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 9, 2013
          On 08/07/13 20:59, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

          > Ken Takata wrote:
          >
          >> Copyright year in vim.rc (and vim16.rc) seems old.
          >> I think it's better to move to version.h.
          >> Please check the attached patch.
          >
          > Actually, I have been told that only the first year matters.
          > So we can just keep 1996.

          Note that under current international legislation, no © statement is
          required anymore; all original literary works (including program
          sources) are automatically protected until 50 years (in the European
          Union, 70 years) starting at 00:00 hours on the 1st of January following
          the author's death (and, for collective works, the death of the last
          known author). I'm not sure if it's 00:00 UTC or 00:00 local time. Bram
          is a Dutchman, and there are other authors for at least some parts of
          the work, but local laws apply wherever you make a copy.

          The intelligence of any discussion diminishes with the square of the
          number of participants.
          -- Adam Walinsky

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 9, 2013
            Tony Mechelynck wrote:

            > On 08/07/13 20:59, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            > >
            > > Ken Takata wrote:
            > >
            > >> Copyright year in vim.rc (and vim16.rc) seems old.
            > >> I think it's better to move to version.h.
            > >> Please check the attached patch.
            > >
            > > Actually, I have been told that only the first year matters.
            > > So we can just keep 1996.
            > >

            > Note that under current international legislation, no Š statement is
            > required anymore; all original literary works (including program
            > sources) are automatically protected until 50 years (in the European
            > Union, 70 years) starting at 00:00 hours on the 1st of January following
            > the author's death (and, for collective works, the death of the last
            > known author). I'm not sure if it's 00:00 UTC or 00:00 local time. Bram
            > is a Dutchman, and there are other authors for at least some parts of
            > the work, but local laws apply wherever you make a copy.

            The copyright statement is not needed to obtain copyright, but to
            explain to the reader who has claimed copyright. This does matter in
            case things turn bad. In practice there has never been any copyright
            dispute over files in the Vim distribution.

            --
            "I know that there are people who don't love their fellow man,
            and I hate those people!" - Tom Lehrer