Re: Patch 7.4a.001

  • tux-
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 6, 2013
      I see.

      I commited my changes ("hg commit -m ..."), used hg fetch
      --switch-parent ... how can I pull 7.4 now?

    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 6, 2013
        On 06/07/13 21:26, tux- wrote:
        > I see.
        >
        > I commited my changes ("hg commit -m ..."), used hg fetch
        > --switch-parent ... how can I pull 7.4 now?

        You should already have it. "hg tags" ought to show, among others,
        "v7-4a-001" as one of the close ancestors of your "tip". Or, enable the
        graphlog extension, then "hg glog -l 10" ²will show you how the latest
        10 changeset relate to each other in terms of ancestry.

        If you have (as I do, see
        http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compunix.htm for
        Unix-like) a "myenviro" script to set the settings for configure and
        make, then (assuming a bash shell)

        source myenviro
        (make && make install || echo 'exit status' $?) 2>&1 |tee -a make.log

        will install the latest vim 7.4a as (by default)
        /usr/local/bin/vim # the executable
        /usr/local/share/vim/vim74a/*
        where that new vim74a directory becomes your new $VIMRUNTIME. Your $VIM
        directory (normally /usr/local/share/vim/ under Unix-like) is unchanged,
        as is (of course) your $HOME directory, so any user scripts you had will
        be kept.

        For Windows the details are a little different but the philosophy is the
        same.

        Real Users know your home telephone number.

      • tux-
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 7, 2013
          Tony Mechelynck schrob am Sonntag, 7. Juli 2013 um 06:53 Zeit:

          > You should already have it.

          Oh, right, thanks!

          But why does it still "make" 7.3? :-/ (I use MS Windows, VS 2010.)

          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 7, 2013
            Patch 7.4a.002
            Problem: Valgrind errors in test 89. (Simon Ruderich)
            Solution: Allocate one more byte. (Dominique Pelle)
            Files: src/misc2.c

            *** ../vim-7.4a.001/src/misc2.c 2013-07-04 21:14:48.000000000 +0200
            --- src/misc2.c 2013-07-07 16:03:35.000000000 +0200
            ***************
            *** 4712,4718 ****
            {
            wc_path = vim_strsave(search_ctx->ffsc_wc_path);
            temp = alloc((int)(STRLEN(search_ctx->ffsc_wc_path)
            ! + (STRLEN(search_ctx->ffsc_fix_path)) - len));
            }

            if (temp == NULL || wc_path == NULL)
            --- 4712,4719 ----
            {
            wc_path = vim_strsave(search_ctx->ffsc_wc_path);
            temp = alloc((int)(STRLEN(search_ctx->ffsc_wc_path)
            ! + STRLEN(search_ctx->ffsc_fix_path + len)
            ! + 1));
            }

            if (temp == NULL || wc_path == NULL)
            *** ../vim-7.4a.001/src/version.c 2013-07-06 16:21:14.000000000 +0200
            --- src/version.c 2013-07-07 16:14:38.000000000 +0200
            ***************
            *** 730,731 ****
            --- 730,733 ----
            { /* Add new patch number below this line */
            + /**/
            + 2,
            /**/

            --
            Kisses may last for as much as, but no more than, five minutes.
            [real standing law in Iowa, United States of America]

          • Tony Mechelynck
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 7, 2013
              On 07/07/13 15:26, tux- wrote:

              > Tony Mechelynck schrob am Sonntag, 7. Juli 2013 um 06:53 Zeit:
              >
              >> You should already have it.
              >
              > Oh, right, thanks!
              >
              > But why does it still "make" 7.3? :-/ (I use MS Windows, VS 2010.)

              Oh, does it? Mine (on Linux) doesn't. Try doing a full make (i.e.,
              telling Make to rebuild everything).

              Normally, the mere fact that version.h has changed, that it now includes
              the lines

              /*
              * VIM_VERSION_NODOT is used for the runtime directory name.
              * VIM_VERSION_SHORT is copied into the swap file (max. length is 6 chars).
              * VIM_VERSION_MEDIUM is used for the startup-screen.
              * VIM_VERSION_LONG is used for the ":version" command and "Vim -h".
              */
              #define VIM_VERSION_NODOT "vim74a"
              #define VIM_VERSION_SHORT "7.4a"
              #define VIM_VERSION_MEDIUM "7.4a BETA"
              #define VIM_VERSION_LONG "VIM - Vi IMproved 7.4a BETA (2013 Jul 6)"
              #define VIM_VERSION_LONG_DATE "VIM - Vi IMproved 7.4a BETA (2013 Jul 6,
              compiled "

              and that version.o depends on both version.c and version.h (which
              version.c includes) should make Make launch a compile of version.c, even
              in a "partial" build. Of course, if you have changed those very lines in
              your "home changes", then…

              Are you sure your "current" changeset ("hg log -r ." without the quotes)
              is on the default branch and is a descendant of v7-4a-001? To make sure,
              enable and use the graphlog extension as I said earlier. If it isn't, then
              hg up -r default
              # apply your changes again (possibly by hg merge)
              hg commit -m 'local changes, as follows: bla bla bla'
              No new branch! The next fetch will pull changesets the way they are on
              the remote, then merge your changes (it is best to place them somewhere
              in the file where there is low risk of bit-rot).

              OLD WOMAN: Well, how did you become king, then?
              ARTHUR: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite,
              held Excalibur aloft from the bosom of the water to signify by
              Divine
              Providence ... that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur ... That is
              why I am your king!
              PICTURES LTD

            • tux-
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 7, 2013
                Tony Mechelynck schrob am Sonntag, 7. Juli 2013 um 16:22 Zeit:

                > Are you sure your "current" changeset ("hg log -r ." without the quotes)
                > is on the default branch and is a descendant of v7-4a-001?

                "hg tags" says 7.4 is current. :-/
                The "hg up" command did not change anything, version.h also says 7.4.

                Hmm. Weird..

              • Tony Mechelynck
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 7, 2013
                  On 07/07/13 16:16, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                  > Patch 7.4a.002
                  > Problem: Valgrind errors in test 89. (Simon Ruderich)
                  > Solution: Allocate one more byte. (Dominique Pelle)
                  > Files: src/misc2.c

                  Notwithstanding the email's Subject, this is indeed patch 7.4a.002.

                  The doctrine of human equality reposes on this: that there is no man
                  really clever who has not found that he is stupid.
                  -- Gilbert K. Chesterson