Improve tests for mercurial repos on Windows

  • Taro MURAOKA
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 5, 2013
      Hi list.

      When using vim's mercurial repository on Windows,
      executing tests has some problems and is very very very stressfull.

      * converting 'ff' of *.ok and *.in causes messy status for hg.
      * executing single test is failed often,
      because of forgetting convert 'ff'.
      * debugging and modifing tests are not easy. too many steps are
      required.

      To resolve these problems, I have changed most part of
      src/testdir/Make_dos.mak. What are changed:

      * Place converted files into temporary directory (dostmp).
      * Set dependencies between input, temporary and output files.
      * Use upper case letters for commands which derived from DOS.

      As a result of these changes, we can execute tests very easily.

      $ nmake -f Make_dos.mak win32
      $ nmake -f Make_dos.mak test87.out
      $ hg status
      (nothing changed, when test was succeeded)

      Please check an attached patch.

      Best.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2013
        Taro Muraoka wrote:

        > When using vim's mercurial repository on Windows,
        > executing tests has some problems and is very very very stressfull.
        >
        > * converting 'ff' of *.ok and *.in causes messy status for hg.
        > * executing single test is failed often,
        > because of forgetting convert 'ff'.
        > * debugging and modifing tests are not easy. too many steps are
        > required.
        >
        > To resolve these problems, I have changed most part of
        > src/testdir/Make_dos.mak. What are changed:
        >
        > * Place converted files into temporary directory (dostmp).
        > * Set dependencies between input, temporary and output files.
        > * Use upper case letters for commands which derived from DOS.
        >
        > As a result of these changes, we can execute tests very easily.
        >
        > $ nmake -f Make_dos.mak win32
        > $ nmake -f Make_dos.mak test87.out
        > $ hg status
        > (nothing changed, when test was succeeded)
        >
        > Please check an attached patch.

        Thanks, I'll put it in the todo list.

        --
        VOICE OVER: As the horrendous Black Beast lunged forward, escape for Arthur
        and his knights seemed hopeless, when, suddenly ... the animator

      • Ken Takata
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 25, 2014
          Hi Taro,

          2013/7/6 Sat 15:43:27 UTC+9 Taro MURAOKA wrote:
          > Hi list.
          >

          > When using vim's mercurial repository on Windows,
          > executing tests has some problems and is very very very stressfull.
          >
          > * converting 'ff' of *.ok and *.in causes messy status for hg.
          > * executing single test is failed often,
          > because of forgetting convert 'ff'.
          > * debugging and modifing tests are not easy. too many steps are
          > required.
          >
          > To resolve these problems, I have changed most part of
          > src/testdir/Make_dos.mak. What are changed:
          >
          > * Place converted files into temporary directory (dostmp).
          > * Set dependencies between input, temporary and output files.
          > * Use upper case letters for commands which derived from DOS.
          >
          > As a result of these changes, we can execute tests very easily.
          >
          > $ nmake -f Make_dos.mak win32
          > $ nmake -f Make_dos.mak test87.out
          > $ hg status
          > (nothing changed, when test was succeeded)
          >
          > Please check an attached patch.
          >

          > Best.

          I think your patch is very useful, but I found an issue with it.
          When I wanted to run a test again, I used to delete the output then run
          the test.
          E.g.:

          $ nmake -f Make_dos.mak test87.out
          $ del test87.out
          $ nmake -f Make_dos.mak test87.out

          This doesn't work after applying your patch.
          (Actually, deleting dostmp\test87.out instead of test87.out works fine,
          but it is a little bit confusing.)

          Attached patch is an additional patch to the Taro's patch.

          Regards,
          Ken Takata

        • Taro MURAOKA
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 25, 2014
            It seems very nice!

            Thank you Ken.

            2014年9月25日木曜日 21時50分47秒 UTC+9 Ken Takata:
            > Hi Taro,
            >
            > 2013/7/6 Sat 15:43:27 UTC+9 Taro MURAOKA wrote:
            > > Hi list.
            > >

            > > When using vim's mercurial repository on Windows,
            > > executing tests has some problems and is very very very stressfull.
            > >
            > > * converting 'ff' of *.ok and *.in causes messy status for hg.
            > > * executing single test is failed often,
            > > because of forgetting convert 'ff'.
            > > * debugging and modifing tests are not easy. too many steps are
            > > required.
            > >
            > > To resolve these problems, I have changed most part of
            > > src/testdir/Make_dos.mak. What are changed:
            > >
            > > * Place converted files into temporary directory (dostmp).
            > > * Set dependencies between input, temporary and output files.
            > > * Use upper case letters for commands which derived from DOS.
            > >
            > > As a result of these changes, we can execute tests very easily.
            > >
            > > $ nmake -f Make_dos.mak win32
            > > $ nmake -f Make_dos.mak test87.out
            > > $ hg status
            > > (nothing changed, when test was succeeded)
            > >
            > > Please check an attached patch.
            > >

            > > Best.
            >
            > I think your patch is very useful, but I found an issue with it.
            > When I wanted to run a test again, I used to delete the output then run
            > the test.
            > E.g.:
            >
            > $ nmake -f Make_dos.mak test87.out
            > $ del test87.out
            > $ nmake -f Make_dos.mak test87.out
            >
            > This doesn't work after applying your patch.
            > (Actually, deleting dostmp\test87.out instead of test87.out works fine,
            > but it is a little bit confusing.)
            >
            > Attached patch is an additional patch to the Taro's patch.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Ken Takata

          • Ken Takata
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 5, 2014
              Hi Taro,

              2014/9/25 Thu 23:44:43 UTC+9 Taro MURAOKA wrote:
              > It seems very nice!
              >
              > Thank you Ken.
              >

              > 2014年9月25日木曜日 21時50分47秒 UTC+9 Ken Takata:
              > > Hi Taro,
              > >
              > > 2013/7/6 Sat 15:43:27 UTC+9 Taro MURAOKA wrote:
              > > > Hi list.
              > > >

              > > > When using vim's mercurial repository on Windows,
              > > > executing tests has some problems and is very very very stressfull.
              > > >
              > > > * converting 'ff' of *.ok and *.in causes messy status for hg.
              > > > * executing single test is failed often,
              > > > because of forgetting convert 'ff'.
              > > > * debugging and modifing tests are not easy. too many steps are
              > > > required.
              > > >
              > > > To resolve these problems, I have changed most part of
              > > > src/testdir/Make_dos.mak. What are changed:
              > > >
              > > > * Place converted files into temporary directory (dostmp).
              > > > * Set dependencies between input, temporary and output files.
              > > > * Use upper case letters for commands which derived from DOS.
              > > >
              > > > As a result of these changes, we can execute tests very easily.
              > > >
              > > > $ nmake -f Make_dos.mak win32
              > > > $ nmake -f Make_dos.mak test87.out
              > > > $ hg status
              > > > (nothing changed, when test was succeeded)
              > > >
              > > > Please check an attached patch.
              > > >

              > > > Best.
              > >
              > > I think your patch is very useful, but I found an issue with it.
              > > When I wanted to run a test again, I used to delete the output then run
              > > the test.
              > > E.g.:
              > >
              > > $ nmake -f Make_dos.mak test87.out
              > > $ del test87.out
              > > $ nmake -f Make_dos.mak test87.out
              > >
              > > This doesn't work after applying your patch.
              > > (Actually, deleting dostmp\test87.out instead of test87.out works fine,
              > > but it is a little bit confusing.)
              > >
              > > Attached patch is an additional patch to the Taro's patch.
              > >
              > > Regards,
              > > Ken Takata

              The patch improve_dos_test.diff conflicts with 7.4.497 and 7.4.498.
              I have updated it.

              Regards,
              Ken Takata