Re: 'balloonexpr' crash...?

  • Christian J. Robinson
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 5, 2013
      On Sat, 6 Jul 2013, Nazri Ramliy wrote:

      > If I were you I'd try reducing the vimrc a'la binary search.
      >
      > Just a suggestion.

      Yeah, I tried that. This appears to be a true Heisenbug:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heisenbug

      - Christian

      --
      Windows 2000: Designed for the Internet
      The Internet: Designed for UNIX

    • Zulox4
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 5, 2013
        On Saturday, July 6, 2013 2:02:26 AM UTC+2, Heptite wrote:
        > On Sat, 6 Jul 2013, Nazri Ramliy wrote:
        >

        > > If I were you I'd try reducing the vimrc a'la binary search.
        >

        > > Just a suggestion.

        If you use Ms windows it may be better to use Ms Native Compiler to compile Vim.
        Or if you like Un*x, may be better mingw tools and gcc-tdm compiler !

        > Yeah, I tried that. This appears to be a true Heisenbug:
        >
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heisenbug
        >

        > - Christian
        >

        > --
        >
        > Windows 2000: Designed for the Internet
        >
        > The Internet: Designed for UNIX

      • Charles
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 6, 2013
          On Sat, Jul 6, 2013 at 1:02 AM, Christian J. Robinson <heptite@...> wrote:
          > On Fri, 5 Jul 2013, Christian Brabandt wrote:
          >
          >> On Fr, 05 Jul 2013, Christian Robinson wrote:

          >>> Right now I don't have the tools to do that. Sorry.
          >>

          >> Can you tell me, how to reproduce the problem? Then I might be able to
          >> get a backtrace provided that it also crashes on linux.
          >

          > Unfortunately I have not been able to isolate what combination from my
          > rather extensive configuration causes this, so without giving you everything
          > (sorrry, not an option), I cannot tell you how to reproduce it.

          If the crash is really in balloonexpr, shouldn't it be enough to
          supply the parameters given to baloonexpr?

        • Christian J. Robinson
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 6, 2013
            On Sun, 7 Jul 2013, Charles wrote:

            > On Sat, Jul 6, 2013 at 1:02 AM, Christian J. Robinson <heptite@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Unfortunately I have not been able to isolate what combination from
            >> my rather extensive configuration causes this, so without giving
            >> you everything (sorrry, not an option), I cannot tell you how to
            >> reproduce it.
            >
            > If the crash is really in balloonexpr, shouldn't it be enough to
            > supply the parameters given to baloonexpr?

            That's what I thought, so that's where I started. I cannot cause Vim
            to crash without it, and it always happens immediately after
            displaying a balloon. But I also cannot cause Vim to crash on a clean
            configuration with only the 'balloonexpr' (and folds) set. Trying to
            excise only portions of my configuration got frustrating too, because
            I couldn't really find a specific point where it stopped happening.

            Of course, it could be a bug in something more "core" than
            'balloonexpr' and I'm just somehow hitting it with my specific
            combination of configuration and the file it happens with. Without
            being able to effectively diagnose it--and I am still trying,
            halfheartedly--I just can't say for sure.

            Someone else posted a confusing reply earlier in this thread about
            'balloonexpr' possibly being evaluated in the wrong context (if I
            understood the context of the message right--I may not have).

            - Christian

            --
            As a matter of fact, no, I don't have a life.
            Christian J. Robinson <heptite@...> http://christianrobinson.name/