Re: 'balloonexpr' crash...?

  • Zulox4
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 4 9:00 PM
      On Friday, July 5, 2013 3:56:11 AM UTC+2, char101 wrote:
      > On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 8:55 AM, Charles <p...mail.com> wrote:
      >
      > > On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 5:43 AM, Christian J. Robinson <h...mail.com> wrote:
      >

      > >> At some point in the last couple of weeks I have noticed that my recent Vim
      >
      > >> builds (native Windows 7 binaries built under cygwin) are crashing whenever
      >
      > >> my custom 'balloonexpr' is triggered--the balloon shows, then Vim crashes.
      >

      > > Hi,
      >

      > > If you compile it yourself why note generate a pdb (with /Zi) and then
      >
      > > register a postmortem debugger (e.g. windgb)
      >
      > > therefore when it crash you can trace the line causing it.
      >

      > EDIT: Sorry, didn't see that it was build with cygwin.

      Hello,

      I think that the problem is gcc compiler on cygwin.
      You could try to compile with mingw and gcc-tdm 4.4.0 compiler with the package here: https://code.google.com/p/msysgit/downloads/list and debug with gdb.
      The 7z file "msysGit-fullinstall-1.8.3-preview20130601.exe" contain all you need (also gdb 6.8), you could manual extract somewhere with 7zip tool. The starting script is msys.bat in the root folder pack directory.
      In this file (pack msysgit) you have also vim 7.3.
      To build vim new versions you have Make_ming.mak make file in src vim folder.
      You can also trace the functions call stack with gdb, to find how vim works:
      1.http://dustymabe.com/2012/10/14/trace-function-calls-using-gdb/
      2.See the script http://superadditive.com/software/callgraph.tar.gz in http://blog.superadditive.com/2007/12/01/call-graphs-using-the-gnu-project-debugger/ and http://stackoverflow.com/questions/764382/automate-tracing-in-gdb/1123188#1123188

      Hope usefull !

    • Zulox4
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 4 9:16 PM
        On Friday, July 5, 2013 6:00:00 AM UTC+2, Zulox4 wrote:
        > On Friday, July 5, 2013 3:56:11 AM UTC+2, char101 wrote:

        > > > Hi,
        > >

        > > > If you compile it yourself why note generate a pdb (with /Zi) and then
        > >
        > > > register a postmortem debugger (e.g. windgb)
        > >
        > > > therefore when it crash you can trace the line causing it.
        > >

        > > EDIT: Sorry, didn't see that it was build with cygwin.
        >
        > Hello,
        >
        > I think that the problem is gcc compiler on cygwin.
        > You could try to compile with mingw and gcc-tdm 4.4.0 compiler with the package here: https://code.google.com/p/msysgit/downloads/list and debug with gdb.
        > The 7z file "msysGit-fullinstall-1.8.3-preview20130601.exe" contain all you need (also gdb 6.8), you could manual extract somewhere with 7zip tool. The starting script is msys.bat in the root folder pack directory.
        > In this file (pack msysgit) you have also vim 7.3.
        > To build vim new versions you have Make_ming.mak make file in src vim folder.
        > You can also trace the functions call stack with gdb, to find how vim works:
        > 1.http://dustymabe.com/2012/10/14/trace-function-calls-using-gdb/
        > 2.See the script http://superadditive.com/software/callgraph.tar.gz in http://blog.superadditive.com/2007/12/01/call-graphs-using-the-gnu-project-debugger/ and http://stackoverflow.com/questions/764382/automate-tracing-in-gdb/1123188#1123188
        >
        > Hope usefull !

        But may be this issue: https://github.com/dhruvasagar/vim-markify/issues/1

        Best regards !

      • Christian Brabandt
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 5 1:46 AM
          Hi Christian!

          On Do, 04 Jul 2013, Christian J. Robinson wrote:

          > At some point in the last couple of weeks I have noticed that my
          > recent Vim builds (native Windows 7 binaries built under cygwin) are
          > crashing whenever my custom 'balloonexpr' is triggered--the balloon
          > shows, then Vim crashes.
          >
          > Unfortunately after hours of effort I have been unable to create a
          > simple case where it occurs without my full configuration, and my
          > full Vim configuration is far too extensive to provide here.
          >
          > I am reporting this in case someone wants to try doing some kind of
          > debugger work with Vim and 'baloonexpr' set, or at least see if they
          > can reproduce the problem with a small baseline vimrc.
          >
          > If it helps, the data returned by my custom expression can be rather
          > long, and multi-line. I use it to "preview" closed folds.

          Can you provide a stack trace of the crash?

          regards,
          Christian
          --
          Packungsaufschriften US-amerikanischer Produkte:
          Auf einer Mikrowelle:

        • Christian Robinson
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 5 2:07 AM
            On Jul 5, 2013, at 2:46 AM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:

            > Hi Christian!
            >
            > On Do, 04 Jul 2013, Christian J. Robinson wrote:
            >

            >> At some point in the last couple of weeks I have noticed that my
            >> recent Vim builds (native Windows 7 binaries built under cygwin) are
            >> crashing whenever my custom 'balloonexpr' is triggered--the balloon
            >> shows, then Vim crashes.
            >>

            > Can you provide a stack trace of the crash?

            Right now I don't have the tools to do that. Sorry.

            --
            Christian J. Robinson <heptite@...>

          • Christian Brabandt
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 5 4:32 AM
              On Fr, 05 Jul 2013, Christian Robinson wrote:

              > On Jul 5, 2013, at 2:46 AM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:
              > > On Do, 04 Jul 2013, Christian J. Robinson wrote:
              > >> At some point in the last couple of weeks I have noticed that my
              > >> recent Vim builds (native Windows 7 binaries built under cygwin) are
              > >> crashing whenever my custom 'balloonexpr' is triggered--the balloon
              > >> shows, then Vim crashes.
              > > Can you provide a stack trace of the crash?
              >
              > Right now I don't have the tools to do that. Sorry.

              Can you tell me, how to reproduce the problem? Then I might be able to
              get a backtrace provided that it also crashes on linux.

              regards,
              Christian
              --
              Man kann niemanden überholen, wenn man in seine Fußstapfen tritt.
              -- François Truffaut

            • Dominique Pellé
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 5 4:35 AM
                Christian Robinson <heptite@...> wrote:

                > On Jul 5, 2013, at 2:46 AM, Christian Brabandt <cblists@...> wrote:
                >
                >> Hi Christian!
                >>
                >> On Do, 04 Jul 2013, Christian J. Robinson wrote:
                >>

                >>> At some point in the last couple of weeks I have noticed that my
                >>> recent Vim builds (native Windows 7 binaries built under cygwin) are
                >>> crashing whenever my custom 'balloonexpr' is triggered--the balloon
                >>> shows, then Vim crashes.
                >>>

                >> Can you provide a stack trace of the crash?
                >
                > Right now I don't have the tools to do that. Sorry.

                If you have cygwin, you have gdb. You can
                get stack trace by running Vim in gdb as follows:

                $ gdb --args vim
                (gdb) run

                ... and when it crashes, you can get the stack with:

                (gdb) bt

                Make sure you compile with -O0 -g and don't strip vim
                to get a useful stack.

                What is the value of 'balloonexpr'?

                Dominique

              • Christian J. Robinson
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 5 11:02 AM
                  On Fri, 5 Jul 2013, Christian Brabandt wrote:

                  > On Fr, 05 Jul 2013, Christian Robinson wrote:

                  >>> Can you provide a stack trace of the crash?
                  >>
                  >> Right now I don't have the tools to do that. Sorry.
                  >
                  > Can you tell me, how to reproduce the problem? Then I might be able to
                  > get a backtrace provided that it also crashes on linux.

                  Unfortunately I have not been able to isolate what combination from my
                  rather extensive configuration causes this, so without giving you
                  everything (sorrry, not an option), I cannot tell you how to reproduce
                  it.

                  - Christian

                  --
                  There's only one everything.
                  Christian J. Robinson <heptite@...> http://christianrobinson.name/

                • Christian J. Robinson
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 5 1:04 PM
                    On Fri, 5 Jul 2013, Dominique Pellé wrote:

                    > Christian Robinson <heptite@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > If you have cygwin, you have gdb.

                    Well, had to install it...

                    My question is, will this work for a *native* Windows binary being
                    built using cygwin & Make_ming.mak? (See below.)

                    > You can get stack trace by running Vim in gdb as follows:
                    >
                    > $ gdb --args vim

                    $ gdb gvimd.exe

                    > (gdb) run

                    Instant crash when I do this.

                    > ... and when it crashes, you can get the stack with:
                    >
                    > (gdb) bt

                    (gdb) run
                    Starting program: [...]/vim/src/gvimd.exe
                    [New Thread 8840.0x3a78]

                    WinMain@16 (hInstance=0x400000, hPrevInst=0x0, lpszCmdLine=0xc45105 "", nCmdShow=10) at os_w32exe.c:138
                    138 return 0;
                    (gdb) bt
                    #0 WinMain@16 (hInstance=0x400000, hPrevInst=0x0, lpszCmdLine=0xc45105 "", nCmdShow=10) at os_w32exe.c:138
                    #1 0x005c32fd in main (argc=<error reading variable: Cannot access memory at address 0x0>,
                    argv=<error reading variable: Cannot access memory at address 0x4>, __p__environ=<error reading variable: Cannot access memory at address 0x8>)
                    at /usr/src/mingw-runtime/mingw-runtime-3.20-1/src/mingwrt-3.20-mingw32/main.c:73

                    Basically, I doubt a "native" (non-Cygwin) binary can be debugged with
                    cygwin's gdb.

                    > What is the value of 'balloonexpr'?

                    As yet I have not been able to make my 'balloonexpr' *alone* crash
                    Vim, I have to have nearly my entire Vim configuration active for the
                    crash to happen. Even with hours of effort I cannot yet isolate a
                    minimum combination.

                    I do not get this crash with my Cygwin (non-Windows native) build of
                    gVim that uses GTK2.

                    - Christian

                    --
                    I am opposed to millionaires, but it would be dangerous to offer me the
                    position. -- Mark Twain

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 5 1:18 PM
                      Christian J. Robinson wrote:

                      > On Fri, 5 Jul 2013, Dominique Pellé wrote:
                      >

                      >> Christian Robinson <heptite@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >> If you have cygwin, you have gdb.
                      >

                      > Well, had to install it...
                      >
                      > My question is, will this work for a *native* Windows binary being built
                      > using cygwin & Make_ming.mak? (See below.)

                      I do not have Windows so I cannot try.
                      But according to this link, cygwin gdb should work with
                      native Windows programs:

                      http://sourceware.org/gdb/onlinedocs/gdb/Cygwin-Native.html

                      >> You can get stack trace by running Vim in gdb as follows:
                      >>
                      >> $ gdb --args vim
                      >

                      > $ gdb gvimd.exe
                      >
                      >> (gdb) run
                      >

                      > Instant crash when I do this.
                      >

                      >> ... and when it crashes, you can get the stack with:
                      >>
                      >> (gdb) bt
                      >

                      > (gdb) run
                      > Starting program: [...]/vim/src/gvimd.exe
                      > [New Thread 8840.0x3a78]

                      > WinMain@16 (hInstance=0x400000, hPrevInst=0x0, lpszCmdLine=0xc45105 "",
                      > nCmdShow=10) at os_w32exe.c:138
                      > 138 return 0;
                      > (gdb) bt
                      > #0 WinMain@16 (hInstance=0x400000, hPrevInst=0x0, lpszCmdLine=0xc45105 "",
                      > nCmdShow=10) at os_w32exe.c:138
                      > #1 0x005c32fd in main (argc=<error reading variable: Cannot access memory
                      > at address 0x0>,
                      > argv=<error reading variable: Cannot access memory at address 0x4>,
                      > __p__environ=<error reading variable: Cannot access memory at address 0x8>)
                      > at
                      > /usr/src/mingw-runtime/mingw-runtime-3.20-1/src/mingwrt-3.20-mingw32/main.c:73
                      >

                      > Basically, I doubt a "native" (non-Cygwin) binary can be debugged with
                      > cygwin's gdb.

                      OK, I'll believe you :-)

                      Maybe you can use your same configuration
                      (.vimrc and plugins) to try to reproduce the bug on Linux
                      where there are useful debugging tools (gdb, valgrind).

                      Regards
                      Dominique

                    • Christian J. Robinson
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 5 1:33 PM
                        On Fri, 5 Jul 2013, Dominique Pellé wrote:

                        > Maybe you can use your same configuration (.vimrc and plugins) to
                        > try to reproduce the bug on Linux where there are useful debugging
                        > tools (gdb, valgrind).

                        Like my Cygwin GTK2 build, the crash doesn't happen on CentOS either.
                        My configs are transferred between all my systems, so they are nearly
                        identical. (There are conditionals to change a few things based on
                        OS.)

                        Actually, it appears I can only get it to crash with a specific file
                        with a specific set of folds... This is getting increasingly
                        frustrating.

                        - Christian

                        --
                        "A celebrity is a person who works hard all his life to become well known,
                        then wears dark glasses to avoid being recognized." -- Fred Allen

                      • Nazri Ramliy
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 5 4:46 PM
                          Hi,

                          If I were you I'd try reducing the vimrc a'la binary search.

                          Just a suggestion.

                          Nazri

                        • Christian J. Robinson
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 5 5:02 PM
                            On Sat, 6 Jul 2013, Nazri Ramliy wrote:

                            > If I were you I'd try reducing the vimrc a'la binary search.
                            >
                            > Just a suggestion.

                            Yeah, I tried that. This appears to be a true Heisenbug:
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heisenbug

                            - Christian

                            --
                            Windows 2000: Designed for the Internet
                            The Internet: Designed for UNIX

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 5 10:06 PM
                              On Saturday, July 6, 2013 2:02:26 AM UTC+2, Heptite wrote:
                              > On Sat, 6 Jul 2013, Nazri Ramliy wrote:
                              >

                              > > If I were you I'd try reducing the vimrc a'la binary search.
                              >

                              > > Just a suggestion.

                              If you use Ms windows it may be better to use Ms Native Compiler to compile Vim.
                              Or if you like Un*x, may be better mingw tools and gcc-tdm compiler !

                              > Yeah, I tried that. This appears to be a true Heisenbug:
                              >
                              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heisenbug
                              >

                              > - Christian
                              >

                              > --
                              >
                              > Windows 2000: Designed for the Internet
                              >
                              > The Internet: Designed for UNIX

                            • Charles
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 6 7:34 PM
                                On Sat, Jul 6, 2013 at 1:02 AM, Christian J. Robinson <heptite@...> wrote:
                                > On Fri, 5 Jul 2013, Christian Brabandt wrote:
                                >
                                >> On Fr, 05 Jul 2013, Christian Robinson wrote:

                                >>> Right now I don't have the tools to do that. Sorry.
                                >>

                                >> Can you tell me, how to reproduce the problem? Then I might be able to
                                >> get a backtrace provided that it also crashes on linux.
                                >

                                > Unfortunately I have not been able to isolate what combination from my
                                > rather extensive configuration causes this, so without giving you everything
                                > (sorrry, not an option), I cannot tell you how to reproduce it.

                                If the crash is really in balloonexpr, shouldn't it be enough to
                                supply the parameters given to baloonexpr?

                              • Christian J. Robinson
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 6 7:59 PM
                                  On Sun, 7 Jul 2013, Charles wrote:

                                  > On Sat, Jul 6, 2013 at 1:02 AM, Christian J. Robinson <heptite@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  >> Unfortunately I have not been able to isolate what combination from
                                  >> my rather extensive configuration causes this, so without giving
                                  >> you everything (sorrry, not an option), I cannot tell you how to
                                  >> reproduce it.
                                  >
                                  > If the crash is really in balloonexpr, shouldn't it be enough to
                                  > supply the parameters given to baloonexpr?

                                  That's what I thought, so that's where I started. I cannot cause Vim
                                  to crash without it, and it always happens immediately after
                                  displaying a balloon. But I also cannot cause Vim to crash on a clean
                                  configuration with only the 'balloonexpr' (and folds) set. Trying to
                                  excise only portions of my configuration got frustrating too, because
                                  I couldn't really find a specific point where it stopped happening.

                                  Of course, it could be a bug in something more "core" than
                                  'balloonexpr' and I'm just somehow hitting it with my specific
                                  combination of configuration and the file it happens with. Without
                                  being able to effectively diagnose it--and I am still trying,
                                  halfheartedly--I just can't say for sure.

                                  Someone else posted a confusing reply earlier in this thread about
                                  'balloonexpr' possibly being evaluated in the wrong context (if I
                                  understood the context of the message right--I may not have).

                                  - Christian

                                  --
                                  As a matter of fact, no, I don't have a life.
                                  Christian J. Robinson <heptite@...> http://christianrobinson.name/