Re: Remaining Python todo items

    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 27 9:47 AM
      Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

      > On Thursday, June 27, 2013 9:27:59 AM UTC+9, mattn wrote:
      > > On Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:22:16 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > > > Python SystemExit exception is not handled properly. Patch to catch the
      > > > exception and give an error. (Yasuhiro Matsumoto)
      > > > Does not work, tests fail.
      > >
      > > I updated patch.
      > >
      > > https://gist.github.com/mattn/5385037
      > >
      > > regards.
      >
      > Sorry Sorry Sorry!
      > It contains debug message.
      > I just removed, and I noticed E863 is used in po/*.po (but not used in
      > *.c, *.h). So I modified to use E880.

      Thanks. I'll check that it doesn't break the tests on my machine.

      --
      Not too long ago, unzipping in public was illegal...

    • Nikolay Pavlov
      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 27 11:34 AM

        On Jun 27, 2013 8:47 PM, "Bram Moolenaar" <Bram@...> wrote:

        > Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

        > > > I updated patch.
        > > >
        > > > https://gist.github.com/mattn/5385037
        > > >
        > > > regards.
        > >
        > > Sorry Sorry Sorry!
        > > It contains debug message.
        > > I just removed, and I noticed E863 is used in po/*.po (but not used in
        > > *.c, *.h).  So I modified to use E880.
        >
        > Thanks.  I'll check that it doesn't break the tests on my machine.

        I am wondering why SystemExit should not be allowed. It is currently the only way to get exit code other then 0 or 1 (except probably for using other bindings).

        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 27 11:41 AM
          Nikolay Pavlov wrote:

          > On Jun 27, 2013 8:47 PM, "Bram Moolenaar" <Bram@...> wrote:
          > >

          > > Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

          > > > Sorry Sorry Sorry!
          > > > It contains debug message.
          > > > I just removed, and I noticed E863 is used in po/*.po (but not used in
          > > > *.c, *.h). So I modified to use E880.
          > >
          > > Thanks. I'll check that it doesn't break the tests on my machine.
          >
          > I am wondering why SystemExit should not be allowed. It is currently the
          > only way to get exit code other then 0 or 1 (except probably for using
          > other bindings).

          AFAIK it bypasses the code Vim needs to run on exit.

          Another way would be to intercept SystemExit and call getout().

          --
          LAUNCELOT: At last! A call! A cry of distress ...
          (he draws his sword, and turns to CONCORDE)

          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 27 11:41 AM
            Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

            > On Thursday, June 27, 2013 9:27:59 AM UTC+9, mattn wrote:
            > > On Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:22:16 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            > > > Python SystemExit exception is not handled properly. Patch to catch the
            > > > exception and give an error. (Yasuhiro Matsumoto)
            > > > Does not work, tests fail.
            > >
            > > I updated patch.
            > >
            > > https://gist.github.com/mattn/5385037
            > >
            > > regards.
            >
            > Sorry Sorry Sorry!
            > It contains debug message.
            > I just removed, and I noticed E863 is used in po/*.po (but not used in
            > *.c, *.h). So I modified to use E880.

            There is a problem:

            - status = PyRun_SimpleString(code);
            + status = PyRun_String(code, Py_file_input, globals, globals);

            PyRun_String does not return an int but a PyObject.
            You also need to take care of reference counting then.

            --
            Not too long ago, compress was something you did to garbage...

          • mattn
            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 27 5:05 PM
              On Friday, June 28, 2013 3:41:38 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
              > There is a problem:
              >
              > - status = PyRun_SimpleString(code);
              > + status = PyRun_String(code, Py_file_input, globals, globals);
              >
              > PyRun_String does not return an int but a PyObject.
              > You also need to take care of reference counting then.

              You're right. Fixed.

              https://gist.github.com/mattn/5385037

              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 28 9:43 AM
                Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

                > On Friday, June 28, 2013 3:41:38 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                > > There is a problem:
                > >
                > > - status = PyRun_SimpleString(code);
                > > + status = PyRun_String(code, Py_file_input, globals, globals);
                > >
                > > PyRun_String does not return an int but a PyObject.
                > > You also need to take care of reference counting then.
                >
                > You're right. Fixed.
                >
                > https://gist.github.com/mattn/5385037

                Thanks, I'll include that.

                --
                Overflow on /dev/null, please empty the bit bucket.

                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 28 11:55 AM
                  Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

                  > On Friday, June 28, 2013 3:41:38 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                  > > There is a problem:
                  > >
                  > > - status = PyRun_SimpleString(code);
                  > > + status = PyRun_String(code, Py_file_input, globals, globals);
                  > >
                  > > PyRun_String does not return an int but a PyObject.
                  > > You also need to take care of reference counting then.
                  >
                  > You're right. Fixed.
                  >
                  > https://gist.github.com/mattn/5385037

                  On Ubuntu 12.10 this doesn't work, tests 86 and 87 fail.

                  --
                  Proverb: A nightingale that forgets the lyrics is a hummingbird.

                • mattn
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 29 6:48 AM
                    On Saturday, June 29, 2013 3:55:57 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                    > On Ubuntu 12.10 this doesn't work, tests 86 and 87 fail.

                    I removed my patch, and tested. but i got failed test 86 and 87. So I guess my patch doesn't affect that.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 29 7:09 AM
                      Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

                      > On Saturday, June 29, 2013 3:55:57 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                      > > On Ubuntu 12.10 this doesn't work, tests 86 and 87 fail.
                      >
                      > I removed my patch, and tested. but i got failed test 86 and 87. So I
                      > guess my patch doesn't affect that.

                      For me the tests fail when building with statically linked Python, but
                      pass when linking dynamically.

                      I understand it's difficult to verify your change is OK if the tests
                      were failing anyway. I hope you can find a way to make the tests pass
                      first.

                      --
                      [clop clop]
                      MORTICIAN: Who's that then?

                    • ZyX
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jun 29 11:01 AM
                        On Saturday, June 29, 2013 5:48:03 PM UTC+4, mattn wrote:
                        > On Saturday, June 29, 2013 3:55:57 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                        > > On Ubuntu 12.10 this doesn't work, tests 86 and 87 fail.
                        >
                        > I removed my patch, and tested. but i got failed test 86 and 87. So I guess my patch doesn't affect that.

                        Tests on Ubuntu are failing for the reason described here: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!searchin/vim_dev/tests/vim_dev/CEaL812aLNI/aSuZ0Jin8BQJ. Currently nobody here knows how to fix this except for convincing Ubuntu maintainers not to use -Bsymbolic-functions linking flag.

                      • mattn
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jul 1, 2013
                          I updated my patch because I found my change of Py_file_input in run_do should be kept with Py_eval_input.

                        • Ken Takata
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jul 1, 2013
                            Hi mattn,

                            2013/07/01 Mon 19:27:42 UTC+9 mattn wrote:
                            > I updated my patch because I found my change of Py_file_input in run_do should be kept with Py_eval_input.

                            After applying your new patch, test 86 and 87 still fail even on Windows.
                            It seems that calling PyErr_PrintEx() was missing.
                            Please check the attached patch.

                            Now test 86 and 87 succeed when I compile with Python 2.7 and 3.2.
                            But when I use Python 3.3, test 87 fails as already reported by Taro:
                            https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vim_dev/ceK7gHmPW0E/77VbTy7vf_IJ

                            Thanks,
                            Ken Takata

                          • mattn
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jul 1, 2013
                              On Monday, July 1, 2013 9:00:04 PM UTC+9, Ken Takata wrote:
                              > Hi mattn,
                              >
                              > 2013/07/01 Mon 19:27:42 UTC+9 mattn wrote:
                              > > I updated my patch because I found my change of Py_file_input in run_do should be kept with Py_eval_input.
                              >
                              > After applying your new patch, test 86 and 87 still fail even on Windows.
                              > It seems that calling PyErr_PrintEx() was missing.
                              > Please check the attached patch.
                              >
                              > Now test 86 and 87 succeed when I compile with Python 2.7 and 3.2.
                              > But when I use Python 3.3, test 87 fails as already reported by Taro:
                              > https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vim_dev/ceK7gHmPW0E/77VbTy7vf_IJ
                              >
                              > Thanks,
                              > Ken Takata

                              Thank you.

                            • James McCoy
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jul 1, 2013
                                On Mon, Jul 01, 2013 at 05:00:04AM -0700, Ken Takata wrote:
                                > After applying your new patch, test 86 and 87 still fail even on Windows.
                                > It seems that calling PyErr_PrintEx() was missing.
                                > Please check the attached patch.

                                > diff --git a/runtime/doc/if_pyth.txt b/runtime/doc/if_pyth.txt
                                > --- a/runtime/doc/if_pyth.txt
                                > +++ b/runtime/doc/if_pyth.txt
                                > @@ -740,6 +740,11 @@
                                > 3. You undefine PY_NO_RTLD_GLOBAL in auto/config.h after configuration. This
                                > may crash Vim though.
                                >
                                > + *E880*
                                > +Raising SystemExit exception in python isn't endosed way to quit vim, use: >

                                I think you mean "endorsed" in this sentence.

                                Cheers,
                                --
                                James
                                GPG Key: 4096R/331BA3DB 2011-12-05 James McCoy <jamessan@...>

                              • Ken Takata
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jul 1, 2013
                                  Hi James,

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jul 1, 2013
                                    Ken Takata wrote:

                                    > Hi James,
                                    >
                                    > 2013/07/01 Mon 21:18:28 UTC+9 James McCoy wrote:
                                    > > I think you mean "endorsed" in this sentence.
                                    >
                                    > Thank you.

                                    Thanks everybody, the tests now pass for me.

                                    --
                                    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root 24 Oct 29 1929 /bin/ed
                                    -rwxr-xr-t 4 root 131720 Jan 1 1970 /usr/ucb/vi