Re: Remaining Python todo items

  • mattn
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 26, 2013
      On Thursday, June 27, 2013 9:27:59 AM UTC+9, mattn wrote:
      > On Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:22:16 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > > Python SystemExit exception is not handled properly. Patch to catch the
      > > exception and give an error. (Yasuhiro Matsumoto)
      > > Does not work, tests fail.
      >
      > I updated patch.
      >
      > https://gist.github.com/mattn/5385037
      >
      > regards.

      Sorry Sorry Sorry!
      It contains debug message.
      I just removed, and I noticed E863 is used in po/*.po (but not used in *.c, *.h).
      So I modified to use E880.

      Thanks.

      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 27, 2013
        Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

        > On Thursday, June 27, 2013 9:27:59 AM UTC+9, mattn wrote:
        > > On Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:22:16 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        > > > Python SystemExit exception is not handled properly. Patch to catch the
        > > > exception and give an error. (Yasuhiro Matsumoto)
        > > > Does not work, tests fail.
        > >
        > > I updated patch.
        > >
        > > https://gist.github.com/mattn/5385037
        > >
        > > regards.
        >
        > Sorry Sorry Sorry!
        > It contains debug message.
        > I just removed, and I noticed E863 is used in po/*.po (but not used in
        > *.c, *.h). So I modified to use E880.

        Thanks. I'll check that it doesn't break the tests on my machine.

        --
        Not too long ago, unzipping in public was illegal...

      • Nikolay Pavlov
        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 27, 2013

          On Jun 27, 2013 8:47 PM, "Bram Moolenaar" <Bram@...> wrote:

          > Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

          > > > I updated patch.
          > > >
          > > > https://gist.github.com/mattn/5385037
          > > >
          > > > regards.
          > >
          > > Sorry Sorry Sorry!
          > > It contains debug message.
          > > I just removed, and I noticed E863 is used in po/*.po (but not used in
          > > *.c, *.h).  So I modified to use E880.
          >
          > Thanks.  I'll check that it doesn't break the tests on my machine.

          I am wondering why SystemExit should not be allowed. It is currently the only way to get exit code other then 0 or 1 (except probably for using other bindings).

          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 27, 2013
            Nikolay Pavlov wrote:

            > On Jun 27, 2013 8:47 PM, "Bram Moolenaar" <Bram@...> wrote:
            > >

            > > Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

            > > > Sorry Sorry Sorry!
            > > > It contains debug message.
            > > > I just removed, and I noticed E863 is used in po/*.po (but not used in
            > > > *.c, *.h). So I modified to use E880.
            > >
            > > Thanks. I'll check that it doesn't break the tests on my machine.
            >
            > I am wondering why SystemExit should not be allowed. It is currently the
            > only way to get exit code other then 0 or 1 (except probably for using
            > other bindings).

            AFAIK it bypasses the code Vim needs to run on exit.

            Another way would be to intercept SystemExit and call getout().

            --
            LAUNCELOT: At last! A call! A cry of distress ...
            (he draws his sword, and turns to CONCORDE)

            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 27, 2013
              Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

              > On Thursday, June 27, 2013 9:27:59 AM UTC+9, mattn wrote:
              > > On Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:22:16 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
              > > > Python SystemExit exception is not handled properly. Patch to catch the
              > > > exception and give an error. (Yasuhiro Matsumoto)
              > > > Does not work, tests fail.
              > >
              > > I updated patch.
              > >
              > > https://gist.github.com/mattn/5385037
              > >
              > > regards.
              >
              > Sorry Sorry Sorry!
              > It contains debug message.
              > I just removed, and I noticed E863 is used in po/*.po (but not used in
              > *.c, *.h). So I modified to use E880.

              There is a problem:

              - status = PyRun_SimpleString(code);
              + status = PyRun_String(code, Py_file_input, globals, globals);

              PyRun_String does not return an int but a PyObject.
              You also need to take care of reference counting then.

              --
              Not too long ago, compress was something you did to garbage...

            • mattn
              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 27, 2013
                On Friday, June 28, 2013 3:41:38 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                > There is a problem:
                >
                > - status = PyRun_SimpleString(code);
                > + status = PyRun_String(code, Py_file_input, globals, globals);
                >
                > PyRun_String does not return an int but a PyObject.
                > You also need to take care of reference counting then.

                You're right. Fixed.

                https://gist.github.com/mattn/5385037

                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 28, 2013
                  Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

                  > On Friday, June 28, 2013 3:41:38 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                  > > There is a problem:
                  > >
                  > > - status = PyRun_SimpleString(code);
                  > > + status = PyRun_String(code, Py_file_input, globals, globals);
                  > >
                  > > PyRun_String does not return an int but a PyObject.
                  > > You also need to take care of reference counting then.
                  >
                  > You're right. Fixed.
                  >
                  > https://gist.github.com/mattn/5385037

                  Thanks, I'll include that.

                  --
                  Overflow on /dev/null, please empty the bit bucket.

                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 28, 2013
                    Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

                    > On Friday, June 28, 2013 3:41:38 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                    > > There is a problem:
                    > >
                    > > - status = PyRun_SimpleString(code);
                    > > + status = PyRun_String(code, Py_file_input, globals, globals);
                    > >
                    > > PyRun_String does not return an int but a PyObject.
                    > > You also need to take care of reference counting then.
                    >
                    > You're right. Fixed.
                    >
                    > https://gist.github.com/mattn/5385037

                    On Ubuntu 12.10 this doesn't work, tests 86 and 87 fail.

                    --
                    Proverb: A nightingale that forgets the lyrics is a hummingbird.

                  • mattn
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 29, 2013
                      On Saturday, June 29, 2013 3:55:57 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                      > On Ubuntu 12.10 this doesn't work, tests 86 and 87 fail.

                      I removed my patch, and tested. but i got failed test 86 and 87. So I guess my patch doesn't affect that.

                      Message 10 of 24 , Jun 29, 2013
                        Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

                        > On Saturday, June 29, 2013 3:55:57 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                        > > On Ubuntu 12.10 this doesn't work, tests 86 and 87 fail.
                        >
                        > I removed my patch, and tested. but i got failed test 86 and 87. So I
                        > guess my patch doesn't affect that.

                        For me the tests fail when building with statically linked Python, but
                        pass when linking dynamically.

                        I understand it's difficult to verify your change is OK if the tests
                        were failing anyway. I hope you can find a way to make the tests pass
                        first.

                        --
                        [clop clop]
                        MORTICIAN: Who's that then?

                      • ZyX
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jun 29, 2013
                          On Saturday, June 29, 2013 5:48:03 PM UTC+4, mattn wrote:
                          > On Saturday, June 29, 2013 3:55:57 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                          > > On Ubuntu 12.10 this doesn't work, tests 86 and 87 fail.
                          >
                          > I removed my patch, and tested. but i got failed test 86 and 87. So I guess my patch doesn't affect that.

                          Tests on Ubuntu are failing for the reason described here: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!searchin/vim_dev/tests/vim_dev/CEaL812aLNI/aSuZ0Jin8BQJ. Currently nobody here knows how to fix this except for convincing Ubuntu maintainers not to use -Bsymbolic-functions linking flag.

                        • mattn
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jul 1, 2013
                            I updated my patch because I found my change of Py_file_input in run_do should be kept with Py_eval_input.

                          • Ken Takata
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jul 1, 2013
                              Hi mattn,

                              2013/07/01 Mon 19:27:42 UTC+9 mattn wrote:
                              > I updated my patch because I found my change of Py_file_input in run_do should be kept with Py_eval_input.

                              After applying your new patch, test 86 and 87 still fail even on Windows.
                              It seems that calling PyErr_PrintEx() was missing.
                              Please check the attached patch.

                              Now test 86 and 87 succeed when I compile with Python 2.7 and 3.2.
                              But when I use Python 3.3, test 87 fails as already reported by Taro:
                              https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vim_dev/ceK7gHmPW0E/77VbTy7vf_IJ

                              Thanks,
                              Ken Takata

                            • mattn
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jul 1, 2013
                                On Monday, July 1, 2013 9:00:04 PM UTC+9, Ken Takata wrote:
                                > Hi mattn,
                                >
                                > 2013/07/01 Mon 19:27:42 UTC+9 mattn wrote:
                                > > I updated my patch because I found my change of Py_file_input in run_do should be kept with Py_eval_input.
                                >
                                > After applying your new patch, test 86 and 87 still fail even on Windows.
                                > It seems that calling PyErr_PrintEx() was missing.
                                > Please check the attached patch.
                                >
                                > Now test 86 and 87 succeed when I compile with Python 2.7 and 3.2.
                                > But when I use Python 3.3, test 87 fails as already reported by Taro:
                                > https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vim_dev/ceK7gHmPW0E/77VbTy7vf_IJ
                                >
                                > Thanks,
                                > Ken Takata

                                Thank you.

                              • James McCoy
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jul 1, 2013
                                  On Mon, Jul 01, 2013 at 05:00:04AM -0700, Ken Takata wrote:
                                  > After applying your new patch, test 86 and 87 still fail even on Windows.
                                  > It seems that calling PyErr_PrintEx() was missing.
                                  > Please check the attached patch.

                                  > diff --git a/runtime/doc/if_pyth.txt b/runtime/doc/if_pyth.txt
                                  > --- a/runtime/doc/if_pyth.txt
                                  > +++ b/runtime/doc/if_pyth.txt
                                  > @@ -740,6 +740,11 @@
                                  > 3. You undefine PY_NO_RTLD_GLOBAL in auto/config.h after configuration. This
                                  > may crash Vim though.
                                  >
                                  > + *E880*
                                  > +Raising SystemExit exception in python isn't endosed way to quit vim, use: >

                                  I think you mean "endorsed" in this sentence.

                                  Cheers,
                                  --
                                  James
                                  GPG Key: 4096R/331BA3DB 2011-12-05 James McCoy <jamessan@...>

                                • Ken Takata
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jul 1, 2013
                                    Hi James,

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jul 1, 2013
                                      Ken Takata wrote:

                                      > Hi James,
                                      >
                                      > 2013/07/01 Mon 21:18:28 UTC+9 James McCoy wrote:
                                      > > I think you mean "endorsed" in this sentence.
                                      >
                                      > Thank you.

                                      Thanks everybody, the tests now pass for me.

                                      --
                                      -rwxr-xr-x 1 root 24 Oct 29 1929 /bin/ed
                                      -rwxr-xr-t 4 root 131720 Jan 1 1970 /usr/ucb/vi