Re: Remaining Python todo items

  • mattn
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 26, 2013
      On Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:22:16 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > Python SystemExit exception is not handled properly. Patch to catch the
      > exception and give an error. (Yasuhiro Matsumoto)
      > Does not work, tests fail.

      I updated patch.

      https://gist.github.com/mattn/5385037

      regards.

    • mattn
      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 26, 2013
        On Thursday, June 27, 2013 9:27:59 AM UTC+9, mattn wrote:
        > On Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:22:16 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        > > Python SystemExit exception is not handled properly. Patch to catch the
        > > exception and give an error. (Yasuhiro Matsumoto)
        > > Does not work, tests fail.
        >
        > I updated patch.
        >
        > https://gist.github.com/mattn/5385037
        >
        > regards.

        Sorry Sorry Sorry!
        It contains debug message.
        I just removed, and I noticed E863 is used in po/*.po (but not used in *.c, *.h).
        So I modified to use E880.

        Thanks.

        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 27, 2013
          Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

          > On Thursday, June 27, 2013 9:27:59 AM UTC+9, mattn wrote:
          > > On Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:22:16 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > > > Python SystemExit exception is not handled properly. Patch to catch the
          > > > exception and give an error. (Yasuhiro Matsumoto)
          > > > Does not work, tests fail.
          > >
          > > I updated patch.
          > >
          > > https://gist.github.com/mattn/5385037
          > >
          > > regards.
          >
          > Sorry Sorry Sorry!
          > It contains debug message.
          > I just removed, and I noticed E863 is used in po/*.po (but not used in
          > *.c, *.h). So I modified to use E880.

          Thanks. I'll check that it doesn't break the tests on my machine.

          --
          Not too long ago, unzipping in public was illegal...

        • Nikolay Pavlov
          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 27, 2013

            On Jun 27, 2013 8:47 PM, "Bram Moolenaar" <Bram@...> wrote:

            > Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

            > > > I updated patch.
            > > >
            > > > https://gist.github.com/mattn/5385037
            > > >
            > > > regards.
            > >
            > > Sorry Sorry Sorry!
            > > It contains debug message.
            > > I just removed, and I noticed E863 is used in po/*.po (but not used in
            > > *.c, *.h).  So I modified to use E880.
            >
            > Thanks.  I'll check that it doesn't break the tests on my machine.

            I am wondering why SystemExit should not be allowed. It is currently the only way to get exit code other then 0 or 1 (except probably for using other bindings).

            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 27, 2013
              Nikolay Pavlov wrote:

              > On Jun 27, 2013 8:47 PM, "Bram Moolenaar" <Bram@...> wrote:
              > >

              > > Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

              > > > Sorry Sorry Sorry!
              > > > It contains debug message.
              > > > I just removed, and I noticed E863 is used in po/*.po (but not used in
              > > > *.c, *.h). So I modified to use E880.
              > >
              > > Thanks. I'll check that it doesn't break the tests on my machine.
              >
              > I am wondering why SystemExit should not be allowed. It is currently the
              > only way to get exit code other then 0 or 1 (except probably for using
              > other bindings).

              AFAIK it bypasses the code Vim needs to run on exit.

              Another way would be to intercept SystemExit and call getout().

              --
              LAUNCELOT: At last! A call! A cry of distress ...
              (he draws his sword, and turns to CONCORDE)

              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 27, 2013
                Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

                > On Thursday, June 27, 2013 9:27:59 AM UTC+9, mattn wrote:
                > > On Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:22:16 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                > > > Python SystemExit exception is not handled properly. Patch to catch the
                > > > exception and give an error. (Yasuhiro Matsumoto)
                > > > Does not work, tests fail.
                > >
                > > I updated patch.
                > >
                > > https://gist.github.com/mattn/5385037
                > >
                > > regards.
                >
                > Sorry Sorry Sorry!
                > It contains debug message.
                > I just removed, and I noticed E863 is used in po/*.po (but not used in
                > *.c, *.h). So I modified to use E880.

                There is a problem:

                - status = PyRun_SimpleString(code);
                + status = PyRun_String(code, Py_file_input, globals, globals);

                PyRun_String does not return an int but a PyObject.
                You also need to take care of reference counting then.

                --
                Not too long ago, compress was something you did to garbage...

              • mattn
                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 27, 2013
                  On Friday, June 28, 2013 3:41:38 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                  > There is a problem:
                  >
                  > - status = PyRun_SimpleString(code);
                  > + status = PyRun_String(code, Py_file_input, globals, globals);
                  >
                  > PyRun_String does not return an int but a PyObject.
                  > You also need to take care of reference counting then.

                  You're right. Fixed.

                  https://gist.github.com/mattn/5385037

                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 28, 2013
                    Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

                    > On Friday, June 28, 2013 3:41:38 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                    > > There is a problem:
                    > >
                    > > - status = PyRun_SimpleString(code);
                    > > + status = PyRun_String(code, Py_file_input, globals, globals);
                    > >
                    > > PyRun_String does not return an int but a PyObject.
                    > > You also need to take care of reference counting then.
                    >
                    > You're right. Fixed.
                    >
                    > https://gist.github.com/mattn/5385037

                    Thanks, I'll include that.

                    --
                    Overflow on /dev/null, please empty the bit bucket.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 28, 2013
                      Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

                      > On Friday, June 28, 2013 3:41:38 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                      > > There is a problem:
                      > >
                      > > - status = PyRun_SimpleString(code);
                      > > + status = PyRun_String(code, Py_file_input, globals, globals);
                      > >
                      > > PyRun_String does not return an int but a PyObject.
                      > > You also need to take care of reference counting then.
                      >
                      > You're right. Fixed.
                      >
                      > https://gist.github.com/mattn/5385037

                      On Ubuntu 12.10 this doesn't work, tests 86 and 87 fail.

                      --
                      Proverb: A nightingale that forgets the lyrics is a hummingbird.

                    • mattn
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jun 29, 2013
                        On Saturday, June 29, 2013 3:55:57 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                        > On Ubuntu 12.10 this doesn't work, tests 86 and 87 fail.

                        I removed my patch, and tested. but i got failed test 86 and 87. So I guess my patch doesn't affect that.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Jun 29, 2013
                          Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

                          > On Saturday, June 29, 2013 3:55:57 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                          > > On Ubuntu 12.10 this doesn't work, tests 86 and 87 fail.
                          >
                          > I removed my patch, and tested. but i got failed test 86 and 87. So I
                          > guess my patch doesn't affect that.

                          For me the tests fail when building with statically linked Python, but
                          pass when linking dynamically.

                          I understand it's difficult to verify your change is OK if the tests
                          were failing anyway. I hope you can find a way to make the tests pass
                          first.

                          --
                          [clop clop]
                          MORTICIAN: Who's that then?

                        • ZyX
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jun 29, 2013
                            On Saturday, June 29, 2013 5:48:03 PM UTC+4, mattn wrote:
                            > On Saturday, June 29, 2013 3:55:57 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                            > > On Ubuntu 12.10 this doesn't work, tests 86 and 87 fail.
                            >
                            > I removed my patch, and tested. but i got failed test 86 and 87. So I guess my patch doesn't affect that.

                            Tests on Ubuntu are failing for the reason described here: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!searchin/vim_dev/tests/vim_dev/CEaL812aLNI/aSuZ0Jin8BQJ. Currently nobody here knows how to fix this except for convincing Ubuntu maintainers not to use -Bsymbolic-functions linking flag.

                          • mattn
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jul 1, 2013
                              I updated my patch because I found my change of Py_file_input in run_do should be kept with Py_eval_input.

                            • Ken Takata
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jul 1, 2013
                                Hi mattn,

                                2013/07/01 Mon 19:27:42 UTC+9 mattn wrote:
                                > I updated my patch because I found my change of Py_file_input in run_do should be kept with Py_eval_input.

                                After applying your new patch, test 86 and 87 still fail even on Windows.
                                It seems that calling PyErr_PrintEx() was missing.
                                Please check the attached patch.

                                Now test 86 and 87 succeed when I compile with Python 2.7 and 3.2.
                                But when I use Python 3.3, test 87 fails as already reported by Taro:
                                https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vim_dev/ceK7gHmPW0E/77VbTy7vf_IJ

                                Thanks,
                                Ken Takata

                              • mattn
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jul 1, 2013
                                  On Monday, July 1, 2013 9:00:04 PM UTC+9, Ken Takata wrote:
                                  > Hi mattn,
                                  >
                                  > 2013/07/01 Mon 19:27:42 UTC+9 mattn wrote:
                                  > > I updated my patch because I found my change of Py_file_input in run_do should be kept with Py_eval_input.
                                  >
                                  > After applying your new patch, test 86 and 87 still fail even on Windows.
                                  > It seems that calling PyErr_PrintEx() was missing.
                                  > Please check the attached patch.
                                  >
                                  > Now test 86 and 87 succeed when I compile with Python 2.7 and 3.2.
                                  > But when I use Python 3.3, test 87 fails as already reported by Taro:
                                  > https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vim_dev/ceK7gHmPW0E/77VbTy7vf_IJ
                                  >
                                  > Thanks,
                                  > Ken Takata

                                  Thank you.

                                • James McCoy
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jul 1, 2013
                                    On Mon, Jul 01, 2013 at 05:00:04AM -0700, Ken Takata wrote:
                                    > After applying your new patch, test 86 and 87 still fail even on Windows.
                                    > It seems that calling PyErr_PrintEx() was missing.
                                    > Please check the attached patch.

                                    > diff --git a/runtime/doc/if_pyth.txt b/runtime/doc/if_pyth.txt
                                    > --- a/runtime/doc/if_pyth.txt
                                    > +++ b/runtime/doc/if_pyth.txt
                                    > @@ -740,6 +740,11 @@
                                    > 3. You undefine PY_NO_RTLD_GLOBAL in auto/config.h after configuration. This
                                    > may crash Vim though.
                                    >
                                    > + *E880*
                                    > +Raising SystemExit exception in python isn't endosed way to quit vim, use: >

                                    I think you mean "endorsed" in this sentence.

                                    Cheers,
                                    --
                                    James
                                    GPG Key: 4096R/331BA3DB 2011-12-05 James McCoy <jamessan@...>

                                  • Ken Takata
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jul 1, 2013
                                      Hi James,

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jul 1, 2013
                                        Ken Takata wrote:

                                        > Hi James,
                                        >
                                        > 2013/07/01 Mon 21:18:28 UTC+9 James McCoy wrote:
                                        > > I think you mean "endorsed" in this sentence.
                                        >
                                        > Thank you.

                                        Thanks everybody, the tests now pass for me.

                                        --
                                        -rwxr-xr-x 1 root 24 Oct 29 1929 /bin/ed
                                        -rwxr-xr-t 4 root 131720 Jan 1 1970 /usr/ucb/vi