Re: Remaining Python todo items

  • Nikolay Pavlov
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 26, 2013

      On Jun 26, 2013 9:22 PM, "Bram Moolenaar" <Bram@...> wrote:

      > This is what I currently have at the top of the todo list.  Unless I get
      > a patch soon, I'll move these down and it will have to wait until after
      > the 7.4 release.
      >
      > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      >
      > Test 86 fails on MS-Windows, using backslashes instead of forward slashes.
      > (Taro Muraoka, 2013 Jun 24)
      > Can we fix this in code instead of in the test?

      It is testing __file__ and internal C function iterating over &rtp. For the first you should bug python developers. The second will maybe break things. (The first will likely do the same though, but I do not think Python developers will agree to change path separators so this is not an issue.)

      > Python: ":py raw_input('prompt')" doesn't work. (Manu Hack)
      >
      > Win32: The Python interface only works with one version of Python, selected at
      > compile time.  Can this be made to work with version 2.1 and 2.2 dynamically?
      >
      > Python: Be able to define a Python function that can be called directly from
      > Vim script.  Requires converting the arguments and return value, like with
      > vim.bindeval().

      I have a branch with generic funcrefs which will make this very easy. It partly works (though fixes that make it work are not even committed yet), but I thought deadline for new features passed almost a month ago.

      Branch is called extended-funcrefs, but rebased version is on my PC only.

      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 26, 2013
        Nikolay Pavlov wrote:

        > On Jun 26, 2013 9:22 PM, "Bram Moolenaar" <Bram@...> wrote:
        > >

        > > This is what I currently have at the top of the todo list. Unless I get
        > > a patch soon, I'll move these down and it will have to wait until after
        > > the 7.4 release.
        > >
        > > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
        > >
        > > Test 86 fails on MS-Windows, using backslashes instead of forward slashes.
        > > (Taro Muraoka, 2013 Jun 24)
        > > Can we fix this in code instead of in the test?
        >
        > It is testing __file__ and internal C function iterating over &rtp. For the
        > first you should bug python developers. The second will maybe break things.
        > (The first will likely do the same though, but I do not think Python
        > developers will agree to change path separators so this is not an issue.)

        Well, if it's too difficult to fix in the code, then I can include the
        patch that fixes the test.

        > > Python: ":py raw_input('prompt')" doesn't work. (Manu Hack)
        > >
        > > Win32: The Python interface only works with one version of Python,
        > > selected at compile time. Can this be made to work with version 2.1
        > > and 2.2 dynamically?
        > >
        > > Python: Be able to define a Python function that can be called
        > > directly from Vim script. Requires converting the arguments and
        > > return value, like with vim.bindeval().
        >
        > I have a branch with generic funcrefs which will make this very easy. It
        > partly works (though fixes that make it work are not even committed yet),
        > but I thought deadline for new features passed almost a month ago.

        Right, anything that is more than a bit complex, or might require
        discussing details, should have already been included. It's not a good
        idea to make big changes just before starting a beta test.

        > Branch is called extended-funcrefs, but rebased version is on my PC only.
        >
        > > Python SystemExit exception is not handled properly. Patch to catch the
        > > exception and give an error. (Yasuhiro Matsumoto)
        > > Does not work, tests fail.
        > >
        > > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

        BTW: How about making a summary of the most important changes to the
        Python interface? Not more than 30 lines or so. For the "what changed
        in 7.4" section of version7.txt.

        --
        You had connectors? Eeee, when I were a lad we 'ad to carry the
        bits between the computer and the terminal with a spoon...

      • mattn
        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 26, 2013
          On Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:22:16 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > Python SystemExit exception is not handled properly. Patch to catch the
          > exception and give an error. (Yasuhiro Matsumoto)
          > Does not work, tests fail.

          I updated patch.

          https://gist.github.com/mattn/5385037

          regards.

        • mattn
          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 26, 2013
            On Thursday, June 27, 2013 9:27:59 AM UTC+9, mattn wrote:
            > On Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:22:16 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            > > Python SystemExit exception is not handled properly. Patch to catch the
            > > exception and give an error. (Yasuhiro Matsumoto)
            > > Does not work, tests fail.
            >
            > I updated patch.
            >
            > https://gist.github.com/mattn/5385037
            >
            > regards.

            Sorry Sorry Sorry!
            It contains debug message.
            I just removed, and I noticed E863 is used in po/*.po (but not used in *.c, *.h).
            So I modified to use E880.

            Thanks.

            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 27, 2013
              Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

              > On Thursday, June 27, 2013 9:27:59 AM UTC+9, mattn wrote:
              > > On Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:22:16 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
              > > > Python SystemExit exception is not handled properly. Patch to catch the
              > > > exception and give an error. (Yasuhiro Matsumoto)
              > > > Does not work, tests fail.
              > >
              > > I updated patch.
              > >
              > > https://gist.github.com/mattn/5385037
              > >
              > > regards.
              >
              > Sorry Sorry Sorry!
              > It contains debug message.
              > I just removed, and I noticed E863 is used in po/*.po (but not used in
              > *.c, *.h). So I modified to use E880.

              Thanks. I'll check that it doesn't break the tests on my machine.

              --
              Not too long ago, unzipping in public was illegal...

            • Nikolay Pavlov
              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 27, 2013

                On Jun 27, 2013 8:47 PM, "Bram Moolenaar" <Bram@...> wrote:

                > Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

                > > > I updated patch.
                > > >
                > > > https://gist.github.com/mattn/5385037
                > > >
                > > > regards.
                > >
                > > Sorry Sorry Sorry!
                > > It contains debug message.
                > > I just removed, and I noticed E863 is used in po/*.po (but not used in
                > > *.c, *.h).  So I modified to use E880.
                >
                > Thanks.  I'll check that it doesn't break the tests on my machine.

                I am wondering why SystemExit should not be allowed. It is currently the only way to get exit code other then 0 or 1 (except probably for using other bindings).

                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 27, 2013
                  Nikolay Pavlov wrote:

                  > On Jun 27, 2013 8:47 PM, "Bram Moolenaar" <Bram@...> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

                  > > > Sorry Sorry Sorry!
                  > > > It contains debug message.
                  > > > I just removed, and I noticed E863 is used in po/*.po (but not used in
                  > > > *.c, *.h). So I modified to use E880.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks. I'll check that it doesn't break the tests on my machine.
                  >
                  > I am wondering why SystemExit should not be allowed. It is currently the
                  > only way to get exit code other then 0 or 1 (except probably for using
                  > other bindings).

                  AFAIK it bypasses the code Vim needs to run on exit.

                  Another way would be to intercept SystemExit and call getout().

                  --
                  LAUNCELOT: At last! A call! A cry of distress ...
                  (he draws his sword, and turns to CONCORDE)

                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 27, 2013
                    Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

                    > On Thursday, June 27, 2013 9:27:59 AM UTC+9, mattn wrote:
                    > > On Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:22:16 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                    > > > Python SystemExit exception is not handled properly. Patch to catch the
                    > > > exception and give an error. (Yasuhiro Matsumoto)
                    > > > Does not work, tests fail.
                    > >
                    > > I updated patch.
                    > >
                    > > https://gist.github.com/mattn/5385037
                    > >
                    > > regards.
                    >
                    > Sorry Sorry Sorry!
                    > It contains debug message.
                    > I just removed, and I noticed E863 is used in po/*.po (but not used in
                    > *.c, *.h). So I modified to use E880.

                    There is a problem:

                    - status = PyRun_SimpleString(code);
                    + status = PyRun_String(code, Py_file_input, globals, globals);

                    PyRun_String does not return an int but a PyObject.
                    You also need to take care of reference counting then.

                    --
                    Not too long ago, compress was something you did to garbage...

                  • mattn
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 27, 2013
                      On Friday, June 28, 2013 3:41:38 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                      > There is a problem:
                      >
                      > - status = PyRun_SimpleString(code);
                      > + status = PyRun_String(code, Py_file_input, globals, globals);
                      >
                      > PyRun_String does not return an int but a PyObject.
                      > You also need to take care of reference counting then.

                      You're right. Fixed.

                      https://gist.github.com/mattn/5385037

                      Message 10 of 24 , Jun 28, 2013
                        Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

                        > On Friday, June 28, 2013 3:41:38 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                        > > There is a problem:
                        > >
                        > > - status = PyRun_SimpleString(code);
                        > > + status = PyRun_String(code, Py_file_input, globals, globals);
                        > >
                        > > PyRun_String does not return an int but a PyObject.
                        > > You also need to take care of reference counting then.
                        >
                        > You're right. Fixed.
                        >
                        > https://gist.github.com/mattn/5385037

                        Thanks, I'll include that.

                        --
                        Overflow on /dev/null, please empty the bit bucket.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Jun 28, 2013
                          Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

                          > On Friday, June 28, 2013 3:41:38 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                          > > There is a problem:
                          > >
                          > > - status = PyRun_SimpleString(code);
                          > > + status = PyRun_String(code, Py_file_input, globals, globals);
                          > >
                          > > PyRun_String does not return an int but a PyObject.
                          > > You also need to take care of reference counting then.
                          >
                          > You're right. Fixed.
                          >
                          > https://gist.github.com/mattn/5385037

                          On Ubuntu 12.10 this doesn't work, tests 86 and 87 fail.

                          --
                          Proverb: A nightingale that forgets the lyrics is a hummingbird.

                        • mattn
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jun 29, 2013
                            On Saturday, June 29, 2013 3:55:57 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                            > On Ubuntu 12.10 this doesn't work, tests 86 and 87 fail.

                            I removed my patch, and tested. but i got failed test 86 and 87. So I guess my patch doesn't affect that.

                            Message 13 of 24 , Jun 29, 2013
                              Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

                              > On Saturday, June 29, 2013 3:55:57 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                              > > On Ubuntu 12.10 this doesn't work, tests 86 and 87 fail.
                              >
                              > I removed my patch, and tested. but i got failed test 86 and 87. So I
                              > guess my patch doesn't affect that.

                              For me the tests fail when building with statically linked Python, but
                              pass when linking dynamically.

                              I understand it's difficult to verify your change is OK if the tests
                              were failing anyway. I hope you can find a way to make the tests pass
                              first.

                              --
                              [clop clop]
                              MORTICIAN: Who's that then?

                            • ZyX
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jun 29, 2013
                                On Saturday, June 29, 2013 5:48:03 PM UTC+4, mattn wrote:
                                > On Saturday, June 29, 2013 3:55:57 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                                > > On Ubuntu 12.10 this doesn't work, tests 86 and 87 fail.
                                >
                                > I removed my patch, and tested. but i got failed test 86 and 87. So I guess my patch doesn't affect that.

                                Tests on Ubuntu are failing for the reason described here: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!searchin/vim_dev/tests/vim_dev/CEaL812aLNI/aSuZ0Jin8BQJ. Currently nobody here knows how to fix this except for convincing Ubuntu maintainers not to use -Bsymbolic-functions linking flag.

                              • mattn
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jul 1 3:27 AM
                                  I updated my patch because I found my change of Py_file_input in run_do should be kept with Py_eval_input.

                                • Ken Takata
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jul 1 5:00 AM
                                    Hi mattn,

                                    2013/07/01 Mon 19:27:42 UTC+9 mattn wrote:
                                    > I updated my patch because I found my change of Py_file_input in run_do should be kept with Py_eval_input.

                                    After applying your new patch, test 86 and 87 still fail even on Windows.
                                    It seems that calling PyErr_PrintEx() was missing.
                                    Please check the attached patch.

                                    Now test 86 and 87 succeed when I compile with Python 2.7 and 3.2.
                                    But when I use Python 3.3, test 87 fails as already reported by Taro:
                                    https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vim_dev/ceK7gHmPW0E/77VbTy7vf_IJ

                                    Thanks,
                                    Ken Takata

                                  • mattn
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jul 1 5:14 AM
                                      On Monday, July 1, 2013 9:00:04 PM UTC+9, Ken Takata wrote:
                                      > Hi mattn,
                                      >
                                      > 2013/07/01 Mon 19:27:42 UTC+9 mattn wrote:
                                      > > I updated my patch because I found my change of Py_file_input in run_do should be kept with Py_eval_input.
                                      >
                                      > After applying your new patch, test 86 and 87 still fail even on Windows.
                                      > It seems that calling PyErr_PrintEx() was missing.
                                      > Please check the attached patch.
                                      >
                                      > Now test 86 and 87 succeed when I compile with Python 2.7 and 3.2.
                                      > But when I use Python 3.3, test 87 fails as already reported by Taro:
                                      > https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vim_dev/ceK7gHmPW0E/77VbTy7vf_IJ
                                      >
                                      > Thanks,
                                      > Ken Takata

                                      Thank you.

                                    • James McCoy
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jul 1 5:18 AM
                                        On Mon, Jul 01, 2013 at 05:00:04AM -0700, Ken Takata wrote:
                                        > After applying your new patch, test 86 and 87 still fail even on Windows.
                                        > It seems that calling PyErr_PrintEx() was missing.
                                        > Please check the attached patch.

                                        > diff --git a/runtime/doc/if_pyth.txt b/runtime/doc/if_pyth.txt
                                        > --- a/runtime/doc/if_pyth.txt
                                        > +++ b/runtime/doc/if_pyth.txt
                                        > @@ -740,6 +740,11 @@
                                        > 3. You undefine PY_NO_RTLD_GLOBAL in auto/config.h after configuration. This
                                        > may crash Vim though.
                                        >
                                        > + *E880*
                                        > +Raising SystemExit exception in python isn't endosed way to quit vim, use: >

                                        I think you mean "endorsed" in this sentence.

                                        Cheers,
                                        --
                                        James
                                        GPG Key: 4096R/331BA3DB 2011-12-05 James McCoy <jamessan@...>

                                      • Ken Takata
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jul 1 5:56 AM
                                          Hi James,

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jul 1 1:03 PM
                                            Ken Takata wrote:

                                            > Hi James,
                                            >
                                            > 2013/07/01 Mon 21:18:28 UTC+9 James McCoy wrote:
                                            > > I think you mean "endorsed" in this sentence.
                                            >
                                            > Thank you.

                                            Thanks everybody, the tests now pass for me.

                                            --
                                            -rwxr-xr-x 1 root 24 Oct 29 1929 /bin/ed
                                            -rwxr-xr-t 4 root 131720 Jan 1 1970 /usr/ucb/vi