Re: Patch 7.3.1221

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 18, 2013
      On 18/06/13 23:32, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > Patch 7.3.1221
      > Problem: When build flags change "make distclean" run into a configure
      > error.
      > Solution: When CFLAGS changes delete auto/config.cache. Also avoid adding
      > duplicate text to flags.
      > Files: src/Makefile, src/configure.in, src/auto/configure

      Ah, great! The following are new at this changeset (including
      immediately after "updating" the hg clone to it):

      - When *configure* changes, plain "make" doesn't error out anymore,
      telling you to remove auto/config.cache; instead, it removes it itself
      and configure proceeds to completion. It may find out at the end that
      config.h is unchanged, in which case only pathdef.o (and any module
      whose source has changed) will be recompiled.
      - Running configure (other than as part of make reconfig) doesn't add an
      additional instance of -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1 for each run of configure
      anymore.

      This means that after configure has changed, a plain "make" will
      succeed; it isn't anymore necessary to replace it with "rm -v
      src/auto/config.cache && make reconfig" (the src/ part is superfluous
      when running in a shadow directory, e.g. when building several
      featuresets of Vim in parallel, as I usually do; the "make reconfig"
      used to be what I had to do to avoid define-flag creep).

      I have not checked whether running "make reconfig" immediately after
      configure has changed still runs configure twice in succession. (I will
      assume it doesn't until or unless I see the opposite.)

      This removes (as we say in French) a big thorn from my foot. Thanks Bram
      (and Ken Takata)!

      Q: Why does Helen Keller masturbate with one hand?
      A: So she can moan with the other!