Re: new syntax files -- Innovation Data Processing

  • Rob Owens
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 17, 2013
      I improved the syntax files per some of Bram's suggestions.

      1) I removed underscores from the names of the syntax files.

      2) I did not shorten the names of the syntax files, because users will sometimes need to manually enable the syntax highlighting with, for example :set syntax=upstreamlog
      I chose easy-to-remember over short.

      3) Headers added to syntax files.

      4) Items in the syntax file start with the name of the syntax file, using the form file_Item for readability.

      5) "hi def link" used instead of "hi link".

      Please let me know if there are any other corrections I need to make.

      Thanks for your help.

      -Rob

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 18, 2013
        Rob Owens wrote:

        > I improved the syntax files per some of Bram's suggestions.
        >
        > 1) I removed underscores from the names of the syntax files.
        >
        > 2) I did not shorten the names of the syntax files, because users will sometimes need to manually enable the syntax highlighting with, for example :set syntax=upstreamlog
        > I chose easy-to-remember over short.
        >
        > 3) Headers added to syntax files.
        >
        > 4) Items in the syntax file start with the name of the syntax file, using the form file_Item for readability.
        >
        > 5) "hi def link" used instead of "hi link".
        >
        > Please let me know if there are any other corrections I need to make.
        >
        > Thanks for your help.

        Before including this, I wanted to check: The files that these syntax
        highlighting scripts support, they are used in the world, right? Not
        just inside your own company. I understand that the software is
        proprietary, but it's running on systems throughout the world, right?

        249. You've forgotten what the outside looks like.

      • Rob Owens
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 19, 2013
          > From: "Bram Moolenaar" <Bram@...>
          >
          > Rob Owens wrote:
          >
          > > I improved the syntax files per some of Bram's suggestions.
          > >
          > > 1) I removed underscores from the names of the syntax files.
          > >
          > > 2) I did not shorten the names of the syntax files, because users
          > > will sometimes need to manually enable the syntax highlighting
          > > with, for example :set syntax=upstreamlog
          > > I chose easy-to-remember over short.
          > >
          > > 3) Headers added to syntax files.
          > >
          > > 4) Items in the syntax file start with the name of the syntax
          > > file, using the form file_Item for readability.
          > >
          > > 5) "hi def link" used instead of "hi link".
          > >
          > > Please let me know if there are any other corrections I need to
          > > make.
          > >
          > > Thanks for your help.
          >
          > Before including this, I wanted to check: The files that these syntax
          > highlighting scripts support, they are used in the world, right? Not
          > just inside your own company. I understand that the software is
          > proprietary, but it's running on systems throughout the world, right?

          Correct. The software is used on systems throughout the world. Users
          of the software, as well as employees of my company, would have
          occasional need to view the logs and dat files. The syntax files I
          provided support viewing of those files.

          Thanks!

          -Rob

        • Rob Owens
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 29, 2013
            I've updated some of these files. Let me know if it's too late to include these in the next release.

            filetype.vim was simplified by specifying '\c' for case-insensitivity.

            upstreamlog.vim, usserverlog.vim, and usw2kagtlog.vim had various improvements for syntax detection and I fixed a couple of errors.

            No change to synmenu.vim, upstreamdat.vim, or upstreaminstalllog.vim

            Thanks!

            -Rob

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 1 5:16 AM
              Rob -

              > I've updated some of these files. Let me know if it's too late to
              > include these in the next release.
              >
              > filetype.vim was simplified by specifying '\c' for case-insensitivity.
              >
              > upstreamlog.vim, usserverlog.vim, and usw2kagtlog.vim had various
              > improvements for syntax detection and I fixed a couple of errors.
              >
              > No change to synmenu.vim, upstreamdat.vim, or upstreaminstalllog.vim

              Thanks, I'll look into it soon.

              - Bram

              --
              Give a man a computer program and you give him a headache,
              but teach him to program computers and you give him the power