Issue 140 in vim: netrw plugin NetrwTreeListing

  • vim@...
      Owner: ----
      Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

      New issue 140 by ondrej.platek@...: netrw plugin NetrwTreeListing

      What steps will reproduce the problem?
      1. command line $ echo "test" > text.txt
      2. $ vi text.txt
      """ in VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 Included patches: 1-1136 (details in
      attachment)
      2. :Explore in NetrwTreeListing
      3. Search for text.txt and open it
      4. The file correctly has content "test"
      5. :Explore open Explore in NetrwTreeListing like in step 2
      6. Again search and open text.txt like in 3
      7. The file is empty!

      NetrwTreeListing deleted the conntent of sample file text.txt

      I am using DEVELOPMENT VERSION OF VIM.
      Currently, I can confirmed it from tag v7-3-989 for changeset cd005ab15ef3
      to tag v7-3-1136 for changeset 343d09006056.

      Attachments:
      vim_version.txt 3.3 KB

      issue notifications to this address.

    • Charles Campbell
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 7, 2013
        vim@... wrote:
        > Owner: ----
        > Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium
        >
        > New issue 140 by ondrej.platek@...: netrw plugin NetrwTreeListing
        > http://code.google.com/p/vim/issues/detail?id=140
        >
        > What steps will reproduce the problem?
        > 1. command line $ echo "test" > text.txt
        > 2. $ vi text.txt
        > """ in VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 Included patches: 1-1136 (details in
        > attachment)
        > 2. :Explore in NetrwTreeListing
        > 3. Search for text.txt and open it
        > 4. The file correctly has content "test"
        > 5. :Explore open Explore in NetrwTreeListing like in step 2
        > 6. Again search and open text.txt like in 3
        > 7. The file is empty!
        >
        > What is the expected output? What do you see instead?
        > NetrwTreeListing deleted the conntent of sample file text.txt
        >
        > What version of the product are you using? On what operating system?
        > I am using DEVELOPMENT VERSION OF VIM.
        > Currently, I can confirmed it from tag v7-3-989 for changeset
        > cd005ab15ef3
        > to tag v7-3-1136 for changeset 343d09006056.
        Hello!

        I did the following:

        Set up simple5.vimrc:

        set nocp
        filetype plugin on
        let g:netrw_liststyle = 3

        Then use vim -u simple5.vimrc:

        :Ex .
        /text.txt
        <cr>
        :Ex .
        /text.txt
        <cr>

        The file was shown with the word "test" both times. This is with

        Scientific Linux 6.3
        version 7.3.1115
        huge

        In a nutshell: I was not able to duplicate your issue.

        * what o/s did you use?
        * huge/normal/tiny/what?
        * please attempt to duplicate your issue with "simple5.vimrc" as I did above
        * please look at :help netrw-debug . Please type ":Dsep " after
        each command you issue (helps with figuring out what commands caused
        what part of the trace).

        Regards,
        C Campbell

        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 25, 2013
          Updates:

          Comment #1 on issue 140 by drc...@...: netrw plugin
          NetrwTreeListing

          I cannot duplicate this issue. Using vim -u simple.vimrc, which is:

          set nocp
          filetype plugin on
          let g:netrw_liststyle = 3 " tree

          I used vim 7.3.1237, netrw v150b (see
          http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#NETRW).

          issue notifications to this address.

          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 25, 2013
            Updates:
            Owner: drc...@...

            Comment #2 on issue 140 by drc...@...: netrw plugin
            NetrwTreeListing

            I'll handle this one.

            issue notifications to this address.

            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 30, 2013
              Comment #3 on issue 140 by ondrej.platek@...: netrw plugin
              NetrwTreeListing

              True, with you vimrc I can not replicate it too.

              Sorry, for reporting it.
              I will try to locate the problem.

              issue notifications to this address.

              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 30, 2013
                Comment #4 on issue 140 by ondrej.platek@...: netrw plugin
                NetrwTreeListing

                Hi,
                I found the minimal .vimrc where it fails:
                Store this into simple.vimrc

                set nocp
                filetype plugin on
                let mapleader=","
                let g:mapleader=","
                let g:netrw_liststyle = 3 " tree

                and run steps 1-6 and REPEAT steps 5-6 (the same as 2-3) for THIRD time.
                I have no clue whi mapleader "," break this.

                issue notifications to this address.

                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 30, 2013
                  Comment #5 on issue 140 by ondrej.platek@...: netrw plugin
                  NetrwTreeListing

                  Btw. you can write me on the ondrej dot platek at gmail dot com.
                  If you need quicker answer from me.

                  And I found even simpler simple.vimrc
                  and you need to run :Explore and open text.txt 3 times!
                  echo test > text.txt
                  vim -u simple.vimrc text.txt
                  " run 3 times :Ex and then open text.txt
                  " the content of simple.vimrc :

                  set nocp
                  filetype plugin on
                  let something_other = "."
                  let g:netrw_liststyle = 3 " tree

                  issue notifications to this address.

                • tooth pik
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 30, 2013
                    On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 09:21:50PM +0000, vim@... wrote:

                    > Comment #5 on issue 140 by ondrej.platek@...: netrw plugin
                    > NetrwTreeListing
                    > http://code.google.com/p/vim/issues/detail?id=140

                    > Btw. you can write me on the ondrej dot platek at gmail dot com.
                    > If you need quicker answer from me.

                    > And I found even simpler simple.vimrc
                    > and you need to run :Explore and open text.txt 3 times!
                    > echo test > text.txt
                    > vim -u simple.vimrc text.txt
                    > " run 3 times :Ex and then open text.txt
                    > " the content of simple.vimrc :

                    > set nocp
                    > filetype plugin on
                    > let something_other = "."
                    > let g:netrw_liststyle = 3 " tree

                    this time I saw it too -- freaky

                    that third time test.txt shows up as Modified, no lines in buffer, and
                    when I perform an undo, the following appears:

                    " ============================================================================
                    " Netrw Directory Listing (netrw v150b)
                    " /home/name_here/.vim/doc
                    " Sorted by name
                    " Sort sequence: [\/]$,\<core\%(\.\d\+\)\=\>,\.h$,\.c$,\.cpp$,\~\=\*$,*,\.o$,\.obj$,\.info$,\.swp$,\.bak$,\~$
                    " Quick Help: <F1>:help -:go up dir D:delete R:rename s:sort-by x:exec
                    " ============================================================================
                    ../
                    doc/
                    | CheckAttach.txt
                    | pi_netrw.txt
                    | tags

                    freaky

                    I can keep undoing, but it never gets back to the original test.txt --
                    not sure how that's even possible

                    When I :quit! repeatedly I can finally end the session, and when I cat
                    test.txt it is in fact unchanged.

                    --
                    _|_ _ __|_|_ ._ o|
                    |_(_)(_)|_| ||_)||<

                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 6, 2013
                      Comment #6 on issue 140 by jke...@...: netrw plugin
                      NetrwTreeListing

                      I can confirm this issue. Vim 7.4.26 MS-Windows 32-bit (console and gvim)

                      It is not related to mapleader. Necessary and sufficient steps to reproduce:

                      vim -u NONE -N -c 'runtime plugin/netrwPlugin.vim | let g:netrw_liststyle =
                      3'

                      :Explore

                      Open any file (say .bash_profile) using <enter> in netrw.

                      Return to netrw using :Rexplore

                      In netrw explorer, open the *same* file using <enter>.

                      Return to netrw using :Rexplore again.

                      For a third time, open the *same* file using <enter>.

                      The buffer is now blank. User must undo the change.

                      issue notifications to this address.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 9, 2013
                        Updates:

                        Comment #7 on issue 140 by drc...@...: netrw plugin
                        NetrwTreeListing

                        Hello!

                        Please try v150i of netrw from my website:
                        http://wwww.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#NETRW.

                        Regards,
                        C Campbell

                        issue notifications to this address.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 11, 2013
                          Comment #8 on issue 140 by jke...@...: netrw plugin
                          NetrwTreeListing

                          Thanks. The website says:

                          Updated Nov 09, 2013 (v150i)

                          But but netrw.vba says:

                          let g:loaded_netrwPlugin = "v150h"

                          I downloaded from this URL:

                          http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/vbafiles/netrw.vba.gz

                          And compared it to the source of the previous version from this mirror:

                          https://github.com/eiginn/netrw

                          And there are no differences.

                          I tried this anyway:

                          :NetrwClean!
                          :e ~/Downloads/netrw.vba
                          :UseVimball ~/.vim/

                          But the issue persists.

                          issue notifications to this address.

                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 12, 2013
                            Comment #9 on issue 140 by drc...@...: netrw plugin
                            NetrwTreeListing

                            Try again -- I loaded the file onto my website again; I've downloaded it
                            via ftp and via my browser, and was getting v150j. Make sure your
                            browser's cache history is cleared -- sometimes browsers "save time" by not
                            bothering to actually download files when they have a cached copy.

                            Regards,
                            C Campbell

                            issue notifications to this address.

                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 12, 2013
                              Comment #10 on issue 140 by jke...@...: netrw plugin
                              NetrwTreeListing

                              Thanks, it seems to be fixed!

                              issue notifications to this address.

                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 12, 2013
                                Comment #11 on issue 140 by jke...@...: netrw plugin
                                NetrwTreeListing

                                Will this be merged to Vim trunk any time soon?

                                issue notifications to this address.

                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 12, 2013
                                  Comment #12 on issue 140 by drc...@...: netrw plugin
                                  NetrwTreeListing

                                  I let it stay on my website for some time, collecting bug reports, fixing
                                  problems, and occasionally extending it. After its "properly aged", I send
                                  it on to Bram. I've already got one bug report against v150j (which I
                                  won't be likely to be able to address for a couple of days).

                                  issue notifications to this address.