Patch to add the :cdo and :ldo commands

  • Yegappan Lakshmanan
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 2, 2013
      Hi all,

      I am attaching a patch to add the :cdo and :ldo commands. The :cdo command
      can be used to execute commands over all the buffers in the quickfix list.
      The :ldo command can be used to execute commands over all the buffers in
      the location list. These are similar to the existing :bufdo, :windo and :tabdo
      commands.

      - Yegappan

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 2, 2013
        On Sunday, June 2, 2013 1:28:05 PM UTC-5, yega...@... wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >

        > I am attaching a patch to add the :cdo and :ldo commands. The :cdo command
        >
        > can be used to execute commands over all the buffers in the quickfix list.
        >
        > The :ldo command can be used to execute commands over all the buffers in
        >
        > the location list. These are similar to the existing :bufdo, :windo and :tabdo
        >
        > commands.
        >

        > - Yegappan

        I like this idea very much, it saves me from recording a macro that applies a change and does :cnfile and repeating it multiple times.

      • Yegappan Lakshmanan
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 2, 2013
          Hi Ben,

          On Sun, Jun 2, 2013 at 12:44 PM, Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:
          > On Sunday, June 2, 2013 1:28:05 PM UTC-5, yega...@... wrote:
          >> Hi all,
          >>
          >> I am attaching a patch to add the :cdo and :ldo commands. The :cdo command
          >>
          >> can be used to execute commands over all the buffers in the quickfix list.
          >>
          >> The :ldo command can be used to execute commands over all the buffers in
          >>
          >> the location list. These are similar to the existing :bufdo, :windo and :tabdo
          >>
          >> commands.
          >>

          > I like this idea very much, it saves me from recording a macro that applies a
          > change and does :cnfile and repeating it multiple times.

          Good to know that this addition will optimize your workflow. I came across a
          request for this command in the following page:

          http://vimcasts.org/episodes/project-wide-find-and-replace/

          If more people express interest in this feature, then the probability
          of this getting
          included in Vim is high.

          - Yegappan

        • glts
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 2, 2013
            On Sun, Jun 2, 2013 at 8:28 PM, Yegappan Lakshmanan <yegappanl@...> wrote:
            > I am attaching a patch to add the :cdo and :ldo commands. The :cdo command
            > can be used to execute commands over all the buffers in the quickfix list.
            > The :ldo command can be used to execute commands over all the buffers in
            > the location list. These are similar to the existing :bufdo, :windo and :tabdo
            > commands.

            +1

            Very useful, thanks.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 2, 2013
              Yegappan Lakshmanan wrote:

              > I am attaching a patch to add the :cdo and :ldo commands. The :cdo command
              > can be used to execute commands over all the buffers in the quickfix list.
              > The :ldo command can be used to execute commands over all the buffers in
              > the location list. These are similar to the existing :bufdo, :windo
              > and :tabdo commands.

              Thanks. I'll add it in the todo list.

              --
              Be thankful to be in a traffic jam, because it means you own a car.

            • Christian Brabandt
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 3, 2013
                On Sun, June 2, 2013 20:28, Yegappan Lakshmanan wrote:
                > I am attaching a patch to add the :cdo and :ldo commands. The :cdo command
                > can be used to execute commands over all the buffers in the quickfix list.
                > The :ldo command can be used to execute commands over all the buffers in
                > the location list. These are similar to the existing :bufdo, :windo and
                > :tabdo
                > commands.

                Just this weekend I thought that a :[cl]do command would be nice and
                I was just about to write such a patch.

                regards,
                Christian

              • eckes
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 30, 2013
                  +1 have this demand too:http://stackoverflow.com/q/19097216/520162

                • Christian Brabandt
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 30, 2013
                    On Mon, September 30, 2013 17:53, eckes wrote:
                    > +1 have this demand too:http://stackoverflow.com/q/19097216/520162

                    While I like the idea of having a :cdo and :ldo command, for the time
                    being, you can script yourself something similar, e.g.
                    http://article.gmane.org/gmane.editors.vim/92691

                    regards,
                    Christian

                  • Christian Wellenbrock
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 11, 2013
                      On Monday, September 30, 2013 6:01:58 PM UTC+2, Christian Brabandt wrote:
                      > On Mon, September 30, 2013 17:53, eckes wrote:
                      >
                      > > +1 have this demand too:http://stackoverflow.com/q/19097216/520162
                      >

                      > While I like the idea of having a :cdo and :ldo command, for the time
                      >
                      > being, you can script yourself something similar, e.g.
                      >
                      > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.editors.vim/92691

                      There's also qargs [1] which adds the command `:Qargs` to populate the arglist with the quickfix list. Afterwards you can use `:argdo` to emulate `:cdo`.

                      +1 for the patch

                      [1] https://github.com/nelstrom/vim-qargs

                    • Fernando Correia
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 3, 2014
                        On Sunday, June 2, 2013 3:28:05 PM UTC-3, yega...@... wrote:
                        > I am attaching a patch to add the :cdo and :ldo commands. The :cdo command
                        >
                        > can be used to execute commands over all the buffers in the quickfix list.

                        +1 I'd like to express my support for this feature as well. It would help, for instance, in search and replace across files.