gobjectIntrospection?

  • Marc Weber
    Message 1 of 2 , May 25, 2013
      What is the future of Vim?

      It looks like glib/gtk .. people have done a lot of work on providing
      automatic bindings to many important scripting languages.

      Would it make sense to think about porting some important code (eg the
      buffers) to such objects (which would still be plain old C only) - so
      that binding code could be derived automatically?

      I don't have much experience yet - maybe somebody else can comment on
      it.

      I know such a change cannot make it into vim 7.4.

      Just thinking about what would be good for Vim's future.
      (Yes - admins will always stick to vi .. I know .. but there are users
      who want to turn Vim into IDE's as well)

      Marc Weber

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 2 , May 29, 2013
        On Saturday, May 25, 2013 8:50:56 PM UTC-5, MarcWeber wrote:
        > What is the future of Vim?
        >

        > It looks like glib/gtk .. people have done a lot of work on providing
        >
        > automatic bindings to many important scripting languages.
        >

        > Would it make sense to think about porting some important code (eg the
        >
        > buffers) to such objects (which would still be plain old C only) - so
        >
        > that binding code could be derived automatically?
        >

        > I don't have much experience yet - maybe somebody else can comment on
        >
        > it.
        >

        > I know such a change cannot make it into vim 7.4.
        >

        > Just thinking about what would be good for Vim's future.
        >
        > (Yes - admins will always stick to vi .. I know .. but there are users
        >
        > who want to turn Vim into IDE's as well)
        >

        > Marc Weber

        I know nothing about glib/gtk. Currently Vim's Windows support is quite good. I don't want to see this change with large features available only on Linux. I don't have the Linux option at work where I use Vim the most.

        I know I've seen GTK apps on Windows, so maybe it's not as much an issue as I fear.