Re: New feature: absolute line number in relativenumber for the current line

  • Dmitry Gorbik
    Message 1 of 47 , May 24, 2013
      On Friday, May 24, 2013 2:00:29 PM UTC-7, toothpik wrote:
      > On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 12:22:44PM -0700, Dmitry Gorbik wrote:
      >
      > > Sorry, but think this change without keeping an original behavior
      >
      > > may just be too fast. Consider a workflow when you deal with files
      >
      > > with a lot if lines. This is not too great for the line gutter to
      >
      > > take a lot of space. This is actually why I use relative numbers -
      >
      > > useful and doesn't take much space. I hope you will consider this
      >
      > > case, Thanks
      >

      > I too dislike this feature -- could we maybe have an option to get the
      >
      > zero back?
      >

      > --

      I just thought that it will have a huge psychological effect. Right now the brain is adjusted to the way numbers go from 0. Seeing some arbitrary number right near your code is not the best thing. Bram says it's annoying for people when we mess with existing settings, isn't this one of them? A lot of people who use relative number at the moment are used to check the current line number in the status bar. Moving this to another place breaks people habits. Yes, they will still be able to use status bar for that, but they get some distractive information.

      Message 47 of 47 , Jun 29, 2013
        Ah, I understand now; sorry for the confusion -- I didn't know that patch 1115 changed the behavior of relativenumber/number. I know what I have to do now to modify my vimrc to behave like it used to for older versions by using the has("patch#") check.

        I do indeed like this new behavior better though :)
        Thanks very much for your help!

        --Stan