Re: slow scrolling

  • John Little
    Message 1 of 4 , May 22, 2013
      On Wednesday, May 22, 2013 5:58:26 PM UTC+12, LCD 47 wrote:
      > I don't have numbers to back that up

      With the new engine, and syntax colouring on, but regexp logging turned off, eval.txt (from the vim help) takes about 25 s for me to scroll from top to bottom, holding down ctrl-F. (This in gvim or vim, lines=60). The old engine takes about 3.5 s. (Keyboard repeat rate set to 50 Hz, 100 ms delay, which is fun, but not reeallly usaablle.)

      Using cat *.c > ~/vimcat.c from the vim source directory, again holding down ctrl-F, syntax colouring on, the new engine scrolls 1400 lines per second, and the old 2,800 but is limited by the keyboard repeat rate.

      Using a 100 MiB C text file "large.c", LargeFile plugin disabled, and

      time ~/vim/src/vim -c '/plain_text_string/p' -c :q large.c

      reports 40.7 s, of which about 3.7 s is start up time, so 37 s for the search.

      time ~/vim/src/vim -c 'set re=1' -c '/plain_text_string/p' -c :q large.c

      reports 7.9 s, again 3.7 s is startup time, so 4.2 s for the search.

      Clearly, the new engine is much slower than the old, especially for a simple text search.

      Regards, John Little