Re: Problems of new regexp engine (that we know)

  • h_east
    Message 1 of 35 , May 22, 2013
      Hi, Bram

      I found NFA regexp engine bug.

      Prerequisite
      vim 7.3.1004
      set re=0

      How to reproduce
      vim -N -u NONE -i NONE --noplugin
      o<Esc>
      /\n* or /\_.*

      Actual
      gone infinite loop.

      How to take back control. (on linux)
      pgrep -lf
      kill -9 nnn <-- nnn is vim process number checked by pgrep.

      I attached patch.
      Please check this.

      Best regards,
      Hirohito Higashi

      Message 35 of 35 , May 27, 2013
        Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

        > On Friday, May 24, 2013 2:47:18 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        > > Please also write tests. Lots of bugs slipped through because we don't
        > > have sufficient testing.
        >

        > https://gist.github.com/mattn/5626661
        >
        > I added test96

        Great, thanks.

        I fixed all the known problems in the NFA engine. I was looking into
        making it work faster. However, one syntax that is known to be slow,
        XML, falls back to the old engine. Thus we need to add the missing
        features first.

        Adding the \@<= item will be difficult though. I wonder if there is any
        not-backtracking regexp engine that does something like this.

        --
        I learned the customs and mannerisms of engineers by observing them, much the
        way Jane Goodall learned about the great apes, but without the hassle of