Re: slow scrolling

  • LCD 47
    Message 1 of 4 , May 21, 2013
      On 21 May 2013, Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:
      > On Tuesday, May 21, 2013 9:13:37 PM UTC-5, toothpik wrote:
      > > my issue with slow scrolling in index.html with cursorline turned on
      > >
      > > goes away when I set regexpengine=1
      > >

      > > huge GTK2 7.3.1004 with python 2.7
      >
      > IIUC, cursorline causes a slow-down even with the old regex engine
      > because it forces a redraw to occur while moving.
      >
      > With the new engine, currently for some reason slower than the old,
      > the redraw will take even longer because the regex in the syntax
      > highlight will take longer to match.

      For what it's worth: cursorline seems slower in 7.3.1004 with old
      regex engine compared to 7.3.969. I don't have numbers to back that up
      though. Huge console Vim with Python 2.7, on OpenBSD.

      /lcd

    • John Little
      Message 2 of 4 , May 22, 2013
        On Wednesday, May 22, 2013 5:58:26 PM UTC+12, LCD 47 wrote:
        > I don't have numbers to back that up

        With the new engine, and syntax colouring on, but regexp logging turned off, eval.txt (from the vim help) takes about 25 s for me to scroll from top to bottom, holding down ctrl-F. (This in gvim or vim, lines=60). The old engine takes about 3.5 s. (Keyboard repeat rate set to 50 Hz, 100 ms delay, which is fun, but not reeallly usaablle.)

        Using cat *.c > ~/vimcat.c from the vim source directory, again holding down ctrl-F, syntax colouring on, the new engine scrolls 1400 lines per second, and the old 2,800 but is limited by the keyboard repeat rate.

        Using a 100 MiB C text file "large.c", LargeFile plugin disabled, and

        time ~/vim/src/vim -c '/plain_text_string/p' -c :q large.c

        reports 40.7 s, of which about 3.7 s is start up time, so 37 s for the search.

        time ~/vim/src/vim -c 'set re=1' -c '/plain_text_string/p' -c :q large.c

        reports 7.9 s, again 3.7 s is startup time, so 4.2 s for the search.

        Clearly, the new engine is much slower than the old, especially for a simple text search.

        Regards, John Little