Re: Patch 7.3.970

    Message 1 of 25 , May 20, 2013
      Charles Peacech wrote:

      > On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 9:12 AM, Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:

      > > > All the tests I could do with the new engine pass. However, it is
      > > >
      > > > noticeable slower than the old engine. If this bothers you, set the
      > > >
      > > > 'regexpengine' option to one.
      > > >

      > > Wasn't the main purpose of the new engine to speed things up? Or are we sacrificing average speed for better worst-case speed?
      > >

      > Here's my benchmark result
      >
      > Benchmark: newengine vs oldengine
      >
      > Trial #1
      > newengine : 0.746297
      > oldengine : 2.197819
      >
      > Trial #2
      > newengine : 0.742969
      > oldengine : 2.195868
      >
      > Trial #3
      > newengine : 0.746451
      > oldengine : 2.199959

      So the new engine is faster? Or what do the numbers mean?

      My experience is that the new engine is slower. Thus we have work to do
      to make it faster.

      --
      Close your shells, or I'll kill -9 you
      Tomorrow I'll quota you

      Message 2 of 25 , May 20, 2013
        Taro Muraoka wrote:

        > I got a report that 970 causes crash when do this:
        >
        > :echo search("[^A-z]")
        >
        > # reported at here in Japanese -> https://github.com/vim-jp/issues/issues/386
        >
        > Yasuhiro Matsumoto try to write a patch to fix this,
        > but it seems that there are some other similar problems.

        Thanks, I can reproduce that. It's very helpful to get a good
        reproducible example.

        --
        Snoring is prohibited unless all bedroom windows are closed and securely
        locked.

        Message 3 of 25 , May 20, 2013
          Ben Fritz wrote:

          > On Sunday, May 19, 2013 12:44:49 PM UTC-5, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > > I wrote:
          > >
          > > > Patch 7.3.970
          > >
          > > All the tests I could do with the new engine pass. However, it is
          > >
          > > noticeable slower than the old engine. If this bothers you, set the
          > >
          > > 'regexpengine' option to one.
          > >

          > Wasn't the main purpose of the new engine to speed things up? Or are
          > we sacrificing average speed for better worst-case speed?

          The new engine is supposed to be faster. But we are not there yet.

          It might be that the new engine is only faster for repeating. It has
          more overhead setting up the regexp. If we can't reduce the overhead we
          might have to select the engine when compiling the regexp.

          --
          So when I saw the post to comp.editors, I rushed over to the FTP site to
          grab it. So I yank apart the tarball, light x candles, where x= the

        • Ron Aaron
          Message 4 of 25 , May 20, 2013
            On Monday, May 20, 2013 2:34:14 PM UTC+3, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

            > So the new engine is faster? Or what do the numbers mean?
            >

            > My experience is that the new engine is slower. Thus we have work to do
            >
            > to make it faster.

            Just doing "gvim --startuptime a.txt" with regexpengine=0 and "... b.txt" with it =1, shows about a second less time (e.g. faster) with =1 over =0 on my work box (64bit linux)

            Message 5 of 25 , May 20, 2013
              John Marriott wrote:

              [html removed]

              > Attempting to compile on HP-UX fails after this patch with this
              > message:
              >
              > cc -c -I. -Iproto
              > -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -O2 -o objects/regexp.o regexp.c
              >
              > cc: "regexp_nfa.c",
              > line 1966: error 1521: Incorrect initialization.
              >

              > It
              > seems that HP's cc doesn't like this initialisation:
              >
              > /*
              > * Initialize Frag_T struct.
              > */
              > static Frag_T
              > frag(start, out)
              > nfa_state_T *start;
              > Ptrlist *out;
              > {
              > Frag_T n = { start, out };
              > return n;
              > }
              >
              > After
              > changing it to:
              >
              > /*
              > * Initialize Frag_T struct.
              > */
              >
              > static Frag_T
              > frag(start, out)
              > nfa_state_T *start;
              > Ptrlist *out;
              > {
              > Frag_T n;
              >
              > n.start = start;
              > n.out = out;
              > return n;
              >
              > }
              >
              > It's happy again.

              Thanks. That is a modern initialization construct, not supported
              by older compilers.

              --
              Violators can be fined, arrested or jailed for making ugly faces at a dog.
              [real standing law in Oklahoma, United States of America]

            • Karsten Hopp
              Message 6 of 25 , May 21, 2013
                Am 19.05.2013 19:15, schrieb Bram Moolenaar:
                > Patch 7.3.970
                > Problem: Syntax highlighting can be slow.
                > Solution: Include the NFA regexp engine. Add the 'regexpengine' option to
                > select which one is used. (various authors, including Ken Takata,
                > Andrei Aiordachioaie, Russ Cox, Xiaozhou Liua, Ian Young)
                > Files: src/Make_cyg.mak, src/Make_ming.mak, src/Make_mvc.mak,
                > src/Makefile, src/regexp.c, src/regexp.h, src/regexp_nfa.c,
                > src/structs.h, src/testdir/Makefile, src/testdir/test64.in,
                > src/testdir/test64.ok, Filelist, runtime/doc/pattern.txt,
                > runtime/doc/option.txt, src/option.c, src/option.h,
                > src/testdir/test95.in, src/testdir/test95.ok,
                > src/testdir/Make_amiga.mak, src/testdir/Make_dos.mak,
                > src/testdir/Make_ming.mak, src/testdir/Make_os2.mak,
                > src/testdir/Make_vms.mms, src/testdir/Makefile

                The patch in this mail and the one on the ftp site is broken. It contains the patch for src/testdir/Makefile twice.
                The mercurial patch 4444:ccecb03e5e8b (7.3.970) is ok.

                Karsten

                Message 7 of 25 , May 21, 2013
                  Karsten Hopp wrote:

                  > Am 19.05.2013 19:15, schrieb Bram Moolenaar:
                  > > Patch 7.3.970
                  > > Problem: Syntax highlighting can be slow.
                  > > Solution: Include the NFA regexp engine. Add the 'regexpengine' option to
                  > > select which one is used. (various authors, including Ken Takata,
                  > > Andrei Aiordachioaie, Russ Cox, Xiaozhou Liua, Ian Young)
                  > > Files: src/Make_cyg.mak, src/Make_ming.mak, src/Make_mvc.mak,
                  > > src/Makefile, src/regexp.c, src/regexp.h, src/regexp_nfa.c,
                  > > src/structs.h, src/testdir/Makefile, src/testdir/test64.in,
                  > > src/testdir/test64.ok, Filelist, runtime/doc/pattern.txt,
                  > > runtime/doc/option.txt, src/option.c, src/option.h,
                  > > src/testdir/test95.in, src/testdir/test95.ok,
                  > > src/testdir/Make_amiga.mak, src/testdir/Make_dos.mak,
                  > > src/testdir/Make_ming.mak, src/testdir/Make_os2.mak,
                  > > src/testdir/Make_vms.mms, src/testdir/Makefile
                  > >

                  > The patch in this mail and the one on the ftp site is broken. It
                  > contains the patch for src/testdir/Makefile twice.
                  > The mercurial patch 4444:ccecb03e5e8b (7.3.970) is ok.

                  Oops. I corrected the ftp site. Can't correct the email..

                  Obviously using Mercurial is the way to go these days.

                  --
                  A fool must search for a greater fool to find admiration.