Re: bombing vim

    Message 1 of 7 , May 20, 2013
      Tooth pik wrote:

      > On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 05:17:54AM -0500, tooth pik wrote:
      > > I don't know much yet except a huge python (2.7) enabled vim 7.3.793 is
      > > getting bombed with a deadly signal ABRT when I try to edit my
      > > index.html module
      >
      > > my first instinct was to disable the runtime/plugin/tohtml.vim, but I
      > > still get the deadly signal when I try to edit that file
      >
      > > anybody else?
      >
      > sure enough setting regexpengine=1 stopped the bomb

      Can you please find out where it crashes? I enabled the new regexp
      engine for the reason that we can find and fix bugs.

      Best is to run Vim in gdb and after it crashes type "where" to see the
      stack trace. And then get values of relevant variables, if you can.

      --
      Biting someone with your natural teeth is "simple assault," while biting
      someone with your false teeth is "aggravated assault."

    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 7 , May 20, 2013
        On 20/05/13 12:17, tooth pik wrote:
        > I don't know much yet except a huge python (2.7) enabled vim 7.3.793 is
        > getting bombed with a deadly signal ABRT when I try to edit my
        > index.html module
        >
        > my first instinct was to disable the runtime/plugin/tohtml.vim, but I
        > still get the deadly signal when I try to edit that file
        >
        > anybody else?
        >
        > tp

        Patch 7.3.975 fixes a crash with HTML (and CSS) file parsing. Can you
        retry with this patch compiled-in (and 're' set to 0)?

        "By necessity, by proclivity, and by delight, we all quote. In fact,
        it is as difficult to appropriate the thoughts of others as it is to
        invent. (R. Emerson)"
        -- Quoted from a fortune cookie program
        (whose author claims, "Actually, stealing IS easier.")
        [to which I reply, "You think it's easy for me to
        misconstrue all these misquotations?!?"]

      • Ben Fritz
        Message 3 of 7 , May 20, 2013
          On Monday, May 20, 2013 5:17:54 AM UTC-5, toothpik wrote:
          > I don't know much yet except a huge python (2.7) enabled vim 7.3.793 is
          >
          > getting bombed with a deadly signal ABRT when I try to edit my
          >
          > index.html module
          >

          > my first instinct was to disable the runtime/plugin/tohtml.vim, but I
          >
          > still get the deadly signal when I try to edit that file

          By the way, runtime/plugin/tohtml.vim would not be causing this crash, because that file has nothing to do with editing HTML files.

          The tohtml plugin is for creating an HTML file with a syntax-highlighted representation of the current buffer. It won't actually do anything unless you use the :TOhtml command.

        • tooth pik
          Message 4 of 7 , May 20, 2013
            On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 09:49:27AM -0700, Ben Fritz wrote:
            > On Monday, May 20, 2013 5:17:54 AM UTC-5, toothpik wrote:
            > > I don't know much yet except a huge python (2.7) enabled vim 7.3.793 is
            > >
            > > getting bombed with a deadly signal ABRT when I try to edit my
            > >
            > > index.html module
            > >

            > > my first instinct was to disable the runtime/plugin/tohtml.vim, but I
            > >
            > > still get the deadly signal when I try to edit that file
            > >

            > By the way, runtime/plugin/tohtml.vim would not be causing this
            > crash, because that file has nothing to do with editing HTML files.

            you're right of course -- I must enroll my instincts in a program for
            self improvement -- they usually are closer to being correct