Re: Patch 7.3.970

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 25 , May 19, 2013
      On 19/05/13 22:01, Ron Aaron wrote:
      > Don't know if it makes a difference, but I compile "big" version, for GTK2 with CFLAGS of
      >
      > -O3 -s -march=native -msse4.2
      >
      > Only patch 970 causes the crash.

      I get the crash in both huge (GTK2/Gnome) and tiny (no GUI) builds, at
      patchlevels 7.3.920 and later. (I haven't yet tried backing out patch
      920 in a new unnamed branch of my Mercurial clone.)

      First Law of Bicycling:
      No matter which way you ride, it's uphill and against the
      wind.

      Message 2 of 25 , May 19, 2013
        Ron Aaron wrote:

        > Crashes for me:
        >
        > (gdb) bt
        > #0 0xb7fdd424 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
        > #1 0xb75391df in __GI_raise (sig=6) at ../nptl/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/raise.c:64
        > #2 0xb753c825 in __GI_abort () at abort.c:91
        > #3 0xb757639a in __libc_message (do_abort=2, fmt=0xb766e6c7 "*** %s ***: %s terminated\n") at ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/libc_fatal.c:201
        > #4 0xb760f105 in __GI___fortify_fail (msg=0xb766e648 "buffer overflow detected") at fortify_fail.c:38
        > #5 0xb760deba in __GI___chk_fail () at chk_fail.c:29
        > #6 0x08191a77 in nfa_regatom ()
        > #7 0x08193a74 in nfa_regconcat ()
        > #8 0x08194000 in nfa_regbranch ()
        > #9 0x081940e8 in nfa_reg ()
        > #10 0x08194ee1 in nfa_regcomp ()
        > #11 0x081a3fc9 in vim_regcomp ()
        > #12 0x080e10f9 in do_autocmd_event ()
        > #13 0x080e1403 in do_autocmd ()
        > #14 0x080b9c4d in ex_autocmd ()
        > #15 0x080c128c in do_one_cmd ()
        > #16 0x080c424b in do_cmdline ()
        > #17 0x080b4f7f in do_source ()
        > #18 0x080b58c9 in do_in_runtimepath.constprop.8 ()
        > #19 0x080b8bf6 in ex_filetype ()
        > #20 0x080c128c in do_one_cmd ()
        > #21 0x080c424b in do_cmdline ()
        > #22 0x080b4f7f in do_source ()
        > #23 0x080558ac in main ()

        I cannot reproduce it.

        Can you find out where in nfa_regatom() this happens?

        Hmm, maybe it inlines nfa_recognize_char_class(). The myconfig buffer
        there needs to be 10 chars instead of 9.

        --
        It is illegal for anyone to give lighted cigars to dogs, cats, and other
        domesticated animal kept as pets.

      • Tony Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 25 , May 19, 2013
          On 19/05/13 22:08, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

          > Tony Mechelynck wtote:

          >>> All the tests I could do with the new engine pass. However, it is
          >>> noticeable slower than the old engine. If this bothers you, set the
          >>> 'regexpengine' option to one.
          >>>
          >>> If you spot a mistake in regexp pattern matching, please send a
          >>> reproducible example, so that we can add it to the tests.
          >>>

          >> Compiling on linux_x86_64:
          [...]
          > Can you try changing EMSG2() to EMSGN()?
          >
          >> In file included from /usr/include/string.h:642:0,
          >> from os_unix.h:522,
          >> from vim.h:268,
          >> from regexp.c:47:
          >> In function ‘strcpy’,
          >> inlined from ‘nfa_recognize_char_class.constprop.24’ at
          >> regexp_nfa.c:379:5:
          >> /usr/include/bits/string3.h:105:3: warning: call to
          >> __builtin___strcpy_chk will always overflow destination buffer [enabled
          >> by default]
          >
          > Yep, buffer should be 10 characters.
          >
          >> The above is with "tiny" features but "huge" features give me the same
          >> (with a much longer gcc command line).

          No messages and no crash with the attached patch. -- Thanks Bram.

          Computers will not be perfected until they can compute how much more
          than the estimate the job will cost.

        • Taro MURAOKA
          Message 4 of 25 , May 19, 2013
            This makes vim (debug build) slow to startup.
            New NFA engine seems to write huge log files in debug build.
            And it causes this terrible slow down.

            Added files are generated like this:

            gvim -u NONE -U NONE --noplugin --startuptime startuptime-7.3.XXX.txt

            I'll look into source codes later, but reported at first.

          • Ben Fritz
            Message 5 of 25 , May 19, 2013
              On Sunday, May 19, 2013 12:44:49 PM UTC-5, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
              > I wrote:
              >

              > > Patch 7.3.970
              >

              > All the tests I could do with the new engine pass. However, it is
              >
              > noticeable slower than the old engine. If this bothers you, set the
              >
              > 'regexpengine' option to one.

              Wasn't the main purpose of the new engine to speed things up? Or are we sacrificing average speed for better worst-case speed?

            • Taro MURAOKA
              Message 6 of 25 , May 19, 2013
                I got a report that 970 causes crash when do this:

                :echo search("[^A-z]")

                # reported at here in Japanese -> https://github.com/vim-jp/issues/issues/386

                Yasuhiro Matsumoto try to write a patch to fix this,
                but it seems that there are some other similar problems.

              • Charles
                Message 7 of 25 , May 20, 2013
                  On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 9:12 AM, Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:

                  > On Sunday, May 19, 2013 12:44:49 PM UTC-5, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                  > > I wrote:
                  > >

                  > > > Patch 7.3.970
                  > >

                  > > All the tests I could do with the new engine pass. However, it is
                  > >
                  > > noticeable slower than the old engine. If this bothers you, set the
                  > >
                  > > 'regexpengine' option to one.
                  > >

                  > Wasn't the main purpose of the new engine to speed things up? Or are we sacrificing average speed for better worst-case speed?

                  Here's my benchmark result

                  Benchmark: newengine vs oldengine

                  Trial #1
                  newengine : 0.746297
                  oldengine : 2.197819

                  Trial #2
                  newengine : 0.742969
                  oldengine : 2.195868

                  Trial #3
                  newengine : 0.746451
                  oldengine : 2.199959

                • John Marriott
                  Message 8 of 25 , May 20, 2013
                    Hi All,

                    Attempting to compile on HP-UX fails after this patch with this message:
                        cc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H     -O2       -o objects/regexp.o regexp.c

                    cc: "regexp_nfa.c", line 1966: error 1521: Incorrect initialization.

                    It seems that HP's cc doesn't like this initialisation:
                    /*
                     * Initialize Frag_T struct.
                     */
                        static Frag_T
                    frag(start, out)
                        nfa_state_T    *start;
                        Ptrlist    *out;
                    {
                        Frag_T n = { start, out };
                        return n;
                    }

                    After changing it to:
                    /*
                     * Initialize Frag_T struct.
                     */
                        static Frag_T
                    frag(start, out)
                        nfa_state_T    *start;
                        Ptrlist    *out;
                    {
                        Frag_T n;

                        n.start = start;
                        n.out = out;

                        return n;
                    }

                    It's happy again.

                    Cheers
                    John

                    Message 9 of 25 , May 20, 2013
                      Charles Peacech wrote:

                      > On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 9:12 AM, Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:

                      > > > All the tests I could do with the new engine pass. However, it is
                      > > >
                      > > > noticeable slower than the old engine. If this bothers you, set the
                      > > >
                      > > > 'regexpengine' option to one.
                      > > >

                      > > Wasn't the main purpose of the new engine to speed things up? Or are we sacrificing average speed for better worst-case speed?
                      > >

                      > Here's my benchmark result
                      >
                      > Benchmark: newengine vs oldengine
                      >
                      > Trial #1
                      > newengine : 0.746297
                      > oldengine : 2.197819
                      >
                      > Trial #2
                      > newengine : 0.742969
                      > oldengine : 2.195868
                      >
                      > Trial #3
                      > newengine : 0.746451
                      > oldengine : 2.199959

                      So the new engine is faster? Or what do the numbers mean?

                      My experience is that the new engine is slower. Thus we have work to do
                      to make it faster.

                      --
                      Close your shells, or I'll kill -9 you
                      Tomorrow I'll quota you

                      Message 10 of 25 , May 20, 2013
                        Taro Muraoka wrote:

                        > I got a report that 970 causes crash when do this:
                        >
                        > :echo search("[^A-z]")
                        >
                        > # reported at here in Japanese -> https://github.com/vim-jp/issues/issues/386
                        >
                        > Yasuhiro Matsumoto try to write a patch to fix this,
                        > but it seems that there are some other similar problems.

                        Thanks, I can reproduce that. It's very helpful to get a good
                        reproducible example.

                        --
                        Snoring is prohibited unless all bedroom windows are closed and securely
                        locked.

                        Message 11 of 25 , May 20, 2013
                          Taro Muraoka wrote:

                          > This makes vim (debug build) slow to startup.
                          > New NFA engine seems to write huge log files in debug build.
                          > And it causes this terrible slow down.
                          >
                          > Added files are generated like this:
                          >
                          > gvim -u NONE -U NONE --noplugin --startuptime startuptime-7.3.XXX.txt
                          >
                          > I'll look into source codes later, but reported at first.

                          You can uncomment this line in regexp.c:

                          /* #undef DEBUG */

                          --
                          Zen Microsystems: we're the om in .commmmmmmmm

                          Message 12 of 25 , May 20, 2013
                            Ben Fritz wrote:

                            > On Sunday, May 19, 2013 12:44:49 PM UTC-5, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                            > > I wrote:
                            > >
                            > > > Patch 7.3.970
                            > >
                            > > All the tests I could do with the new engine pass. However, it is
                            > >
                            > > noticeable slower than the old engine. If this bothers you, set the
                            > >
                            > > 'regexpengine' option to one.
                            > >

                            > Wasn't the main purpose of the new engine to speed things up? Or are
                            > we sacrificing average speed for better worst-case speed?

                            The new engine is supposed to be faster. But we are not there yet.

                            It might be that the new engine is only faster for repeating. It has
                            more overhead setting up the regexp. If we can't reduce the overhead we
                            might have to select the engine when compiling the regexp.

                            --
                            So when I saw the post to comp.editors, I rushed over to the FTP site to
                            grab it. So I yank apart the tarball, light x candles, where x= the

                          • Ron Aaron
                            Message 13 of 25 , May 20, 2013
                              On Monday, May 20, 2013 2:34:14 PM UTC+3, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                              > So the new engine is faster? Or what do the numbers mean?
                              >

                              > My experience is that the new engine is slower. Thus we have work to do
                              >
                              > to make it faster.

                              Just doing "gvim --startuptime a.txt" with regexpengine=0 and "... b.txt" with it =1, shows about a second less time (e.g. faster) with =1 over =0 on my work box (64bit linux)

                              Message 14 of 25 , May 20, 2013
                                John Marriott wrote:

                                [html removed]

                                > Attempting to compile on HP-UX fails after this patch with this
                                > message:
                                >
                                > cc -c -I. -Iproto
                                > -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -O2 -o objects/regexp.o regexp.c
                                >
                                > cc: "regexp_nfa.c",
                                > line 1966: error 1521: Incorrect initialization.
                                >

                                > It
                                > seems that HP's cc doesn't like this initialisation:
                                >
                                > /*
                                > * Initialize Frag_T struct.
                                > */
                                > static Frag_T
                                > frag(start, out)
                                > nfa_state_T *start;
                                > Ptrlist *out;
                                > {
                                > Frag_T n = { start, out };
                                > return n;
                                > }
                                >
                                > After
                                > changing it to:
                                >
                                > /*
                                > * Initialize Frag_T struct.
                                > */
                                >
                                > static Frag_T
                                > frag(start, out)
                                > nfa_state_T *start;
                                > Ptrlist *out;
                                > {
                                > Frag_T n;
                                >
                                > n.start = start;
                                > n.out = out;
                                > return n;
                                >
                                > }
                                >
                                > It's happy again.

                                Thanks. That is a modern initialization construct, not supported
                                by older compilers.

                                --
                                Violators can be fined, arrested or jailed for making ugly faces at a dog.
                                [real standing law in Oklahoma, United States of America]

                              • Karsten Hopp
                                Message 15 of 25 , May 21, 2013
                                  Am 19.05.2013 19:15, schrieb Bram Moolenaar:
                                  > Patch 7.3.970
                                  > Problem: Syntax highlighting can be slow.
                                  > Solution: Include the NFA regexp engine. Add the 'regexpengine' option to
                                  > select which one is used. (various authors, including Ken Takata,
                                  > Andrei Aiordachioaie, Russ Cox, Xiaozhou Liua, Ian Young)
                                  > Files: src/Make_cyg.mak, src/Make_ming.mak, src/Make_mvc.mak,
                                  > src/Makefile, src/regexp.c, src/regexp.h, src/regexp_nfa.c,
                                  > src/structs.h, src/testdir/Makefile, src/testdir/test64.in,
                                  > src/testdir/test64.ok, Filelist, runtime/doc/pattern.txt,
                                  > runtime/doc/option.txt, src/option.c, src/option.h,
                                  > src/testdir/test95.in, src/testdir/test95.ok,
                                  > src/testdir/Make_amiga.mak, src/testdir/Make_dos.mak,
                                  > src/testdir/Make_ming.mak, src/testdir/Make_os2.mak,
                                  > src/testdir/Make_vms.mms, src/testdir/Makefile

                                  The patch in this mail and the one on the ftp site is broken. It contains the patch for src/testdir/Makefile twice.
                                  The mercurial patch 4444:ccecb03e5e8b (7.3.970) is ok.

                                  Karsten

                                  Message 16 of 25 , May 21, 2013
                                    Karsten Hopp wrote:

                                    > Am 19.05.2013 19:15, schrieb Bram Moolenaar:
                                    > > Patch 7.3.970
                                    > > Problem: Syntax highlighting can be slow.
                                    > > Solution: Include the NFA regexp engine. Add the 'regexpengine' option to
                                    > > select which one is used. (various authors, including Ken Takata,
                                    > > Andrei Aiordachioaie, Russ Cox, Xiaozhou Liua, Ian Young)
                                    > > Files: src/Make_cyg.mak, src/Make_ming.mak, src/Make_mvc.mak,
                                    > > src/Makefile, src/regexp.c, src/regexp.h, src/regexp_nfa.c,
                                    > > src/structs.h, src/testdir/Makefile, src/testdir/test64.in,
                                    > > src/testdir/test64.ok, Filelist, runtime/doc/pattern.txt,
                                    > > runtime/doc/option.txt, src/option.c, src/option.h,
                                    > > src/testdir/test95.in, src/testdir/test95.ok,
                                    > > src/testdir/Make_amiga.mak, src/testdir/Make_dos.mak,
                                    > > src/testdir/Make_ming.mak, src/testdir/Make_os2.mak,
                                    > > src/testdir/Make_vms.mms, src/testdir/Makefile
                                    > >

                                    > The patch in this mail and the one on the ftp site is broken. It
                                    > contains the patch for src/testdir/Makefile twice.
                                    > The mercurial patch 4444:ccecb03e5e8b (7.3.970) is ok.

                                    Oops. I corrected the ftp site. Can't correct the email..

                                    Obviously using Mercurial is the way to go these days.

                                    --
                                    A fool must search for a greater fool to find admiration.