Japanese translations for Vim 7.4

  • MURAOKA Taro
    Message 1 of 6 , May 18, 2013
      Hi Bram.

      I have updated Japanese translations for Vim 7.4.
      Please use attached archive for 7.4.
      It based on recent 7.3.969.

      This includes two changes.

      1. Removed Japanese specific menu commands, which I had added at past.
      2. Make ja.po to use UTF-8 encoding (was EUC-JP).

      Second one requires little changes for src/po/Makefile and src/po/sjiscorr.c.
      An attached archive includes those files, please check it too.

      Best.
      --
      MURAOKA Taro <koron.kaoriya@...>

      Message 2 of 6 , May 19, 2013
        Taro Muraoka wrote:

        > I have updated Japanese translations for Vim 7.4.
        > Please use attached archive for 7.4.
        > It based on recent 7.3.969.
        >
        > This includes two changes.
        >
        > 1. Removed Japanese specific menu commands, which I had added at past.
        > 2. Make ja.po to use UTF-8 encoding (was EUC-JP).
        >
        > Second one requires little changes for src/po/Makefile and
        > src/po/sjiscorr.c. An attached archive includes those files, please
        > check it too.

        Thanks.

        How about keeping the previous ja.po as ja.euc-jp.po?
        I assume there are still people using euc-jp.
        It can be converted from ja.po with iconv. I tried it and it appears to
        work fine.

        --
        A special law prohibits unmarried women from parachuting on Sunday or she
        shall risk arrest, fine, and/or jailing.

      • MURAOKA Taro
        Message 3 of 6 , May 19, 2013
          Thank you for thinking about it.

          And we had discussed it in vim-jp (you know, it is Japanese vim users
          and developers community). The discussion was held in Japanese, but I
          reveal its URL for reference.

          https://github.com/vim-jp/issues/issues/364

          > How about keeping the previous ja.po as ja.euc-jp.po?

          Probably there are no needs. In this decade, in Japan, EUC-JP is being
          replaced by UTF-8 on lot of UNIX like systems.

          > I assume there are still people using euc-jp.

          We must assume there are still people using gettext without iconv. It
          depends on gettext(libintl) that UTF-8 version ja.po works properly on
          EUC-JP systems. And GNU gettext "de facto standard" uses iconv in
          over this ten years.

          I speculate there are no or very very very few people using gettext
          without iconv.

          > It can be converted from ja.po with iconv. I tried it and it appears
          > to work fine.

          So, how about add some documentation for EUC-JP users in
          src/po/README.txt, instead of including ja.euc-jp.po. I'll write it.

          Message 4 of 6 , May 20, 2013
            > So, how about add some documentation for EUC-JP users in
            > src/po/README.txt, instead of including ja.euc-jp.po. I'll write it.

            I wrote a section for it.
            Please look in an attached patch.

            Best.

            --
            MURAOKA Taro <koron.kaoriya@...>

            Message 5 of 6 , May 20, 2013
              Taro Muraoka wrote:

              > Thank you for thinking about it.
              >
              > And we had discussed it in vim-jp (you know, it is Japanese vim users
              > and developers community). The discussion was held in Japanese, but I
              > reveal its URL for reference.
              >
              > https://github.com/vim-jp/issues/issues/364
              >

              > > How about keeping the previous ja.po as ja.euc-jp.po?
              >
              > Probably there are no needs. In this decade, in Japan, EUC-JP is being
              > replaced by UTF-8 on lot of UNIX like systems.

              Well, it's very easy to add the iconv. Even when it helps only a few
              people.

              > > I assume there are still people using euc-jp.
              >
              > We must assume there are still people using gettext without iconv. It
              > depends on gettext(libintl) that UTF-8 version ja.po works properly on
              > EUC-JP systems. And GNU gettext "de facto standard" uses iconv in
              > over this ten years.
              >
              > I speculate there are no or very very very few people using gettext
              > without iconv.

              On Solaris? HP-UX? Those systems that just keep working and never
              get updated.

              > > It can be converted from ja.po with iconv. I tried it and it appears
              > > to work fine.
              >
              > So, how about add some documentation for EUC-JP users in
              > src/po/README.txt, instead of including ja.euc-jp.po. I'll write it.

              I'll include it for now, we can always delete it when it doesn't
              actually work.

              --
              It is illegal to take more than three sips of beer at a time while standing.
              [real standing law in Texas, United States of America]

              Message 6 of 6 , May 20, 2013
                Taro Muraoka wrote:

                > > So, how about add some documentation for EUC-JP users in
                > > src/po/README.txt, instead of including ja.euc-jp.po. I'll write it.
                >
                > I wrote a section for it.
                > Please look in an attached patch.

                Thanks. I added a bit more text for those who don't know how this
                works:

                USING GETTEXT WITHOUT ICONV

                When using gettext which doesn't support iconv, the encoding of the .mo file
                must match your active encoding. For that you must convert and change
                encoding of *.po file in advance of generating the *.mo file. For example, to
                convert ja.po to EUC-JP (supposed as your system encoding):

                (1) Convert the file encoding:

                mv ja.po ja.po.orig
                iconv -f utf-8 -t euc-jp ja.po.orig > ja.po

                (2) Rewrite charset declaration in the file:

                Open ja.po find this line:

                There are examples in the Makefile for the conversions already supported.

                --
                If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
                If you only have MS-Windows, you tend to solve every problem by rebooting.