Remaining Python todo items

    Message 1 of 24 , May 17, 2013
      After including a few patches and fixes, these are the remaining Python
      todo items:

      Python SystemExit exception is not handled properly. Patch to catch the
      exception and give an error. (Yasuhiro Matsumoto)
      Does not work, tests fail.

      Patch to print the result of a :python command. (Maxim Philippov
      <philippovmi@...>, 2012 Aug 16) Update Aug 17.
      Patch no longer applies. Can we drop it?

      ":python os.chdir('/tmp')" makes short buffer names invalid. (Xavier de Gaye)
      Check directory and call shorten_fnames()? Better: make os.chdir()
      invoke the interal :cd implementation, that takes care of all side
      effects.

      Mac: OS/X 10.4 with Python 2.5 installed: configure finds an extra argument
      that breaks the build. (Brian Victor, 2008 Sep 1)

      Patch to access screen under Python. (Marko Mahni, 2010 Jul 18)

      Python: ":py raw_input('prompt')" doesn't work. (Manu Hack)

      Win32: The Python interface only works with one version of Python, selected at
      compile time. Can this be made to work with version 2.1 and 2.2 dynamically?

      Python: Be able to define a Python function that can be called directly from
      Vim script. Requires converting the arguments and return value.

      Let me know if I missed something.

      And possibly implement some of the proposed API additions. We can't
      keep postponing the 7.4 release, there is always something more to do.
      Let's put a deadline at the end of May. After that it's bug fixing
      only. So let's do the most useful things first.

      --
      ROBIN: The what?
      ARTHUR: The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch. 'Tis one of the sacred relics

    • Ken Takata
      Message 2 of 24 , May 17, 2013
        Hi Bram,

        2013/05/18 Sat 0:05:27 UTC+9 Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        > Let me know if I missed something.
        >
        > And possibly implement some of the proposed API additions. We can't
        > keep postponing the 7.4 release, there is always something more to do.
        > Let's put a deadline at the end of May. After that it's bug fixing
        > only. So let's do the most useful things first.

        This patch is also related to python but not todo listed:
        https://groups.google.com/d/topic/vim_dev/_5vNGhPbPzc/discussion

        Thanks,
        Ken Takata

        Message 3 of 24 , May 18, 2013
          Ken Takata wrote:

          > 2013/05/18 Sat 0:05:27 UTC+9 Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > > Let me know if I missed something.
          > >
          > > And possibly implement some of the proposed API additions. We can't
          > > keep postponing the 7.4 release, there is always something more to do.
          > > Let's put a deadline at the end of May. After that it's bug fixing
          > > only. So let's do the most useful things first.
          >
          > This patch is also related to python but not todo listed:
          > https://groups.google.com/d/topic/vim_dev/_5vNGhPbPzc/discussion

          Indeed, somehow that one went missing. Thanks for the reminder.

          --
          Shaw's Principle: Build a system that even a fool can use, and
          only a fool will want to use it.

          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 26, 2013
            This is what I currently have at the top of the todo list. Unless I get
            a patch soon, I'll move these down and it will have to wait until after
            the 7.4 release.

            Test 86 fails on MS-Windows, using backslashes instead of forward slashes.
            (Taro Muraoka, 2013 Jun 24)
            Can we fix this in code instead of in the test?

            Python: ":py raw_input('prompt')" doesn't work. (Manu Hack)

            Win32: The Python interface only works with one version of Python, selected at
            compile time. Can this be made to work with version 2.1 and 2.2 dynamically?

            Python: Be able to define a Python function that can be called directly from
            Vim script. Requires converting the arguments and return value, like with
            vim.bindeval().

            Python SystemExit exception is not handled properly. Patch to catch the
            exception and give an error. (Yasuhiro Matsumoto)
            Does not work, tests fail.

            Just think of all the things we haven't thought of yet.

          • Nikolay Pavlov
            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 26, 2013

              On Jun 26, 2013 9:22 PM, "Bram Moolenaar" <Bram@...> wrote:

              > This is what I currently have at the top of the todo list.  Unless I get
              > a patch soon, I'll move these down and it will have to wait until after
              > the 7.4 release.
              >
              > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
              >
              > Test 86 fails on MS-Windows, using backslashes instead of forward slashes.
              > (Taro Muraoka, 2013 Jun 24)
              > Can we fix this in code instead of in the test?

              It is testing __file__ and internal C function iterating over &rtp. For the first you should bug python developers. The second will maybe break things. (The first will likely do the same though, but I do not think Python developers will agree to change path separators so this is not an issue.)

              > Python: ":py raw_input('prompt')" doesn't work. (Manu Hack)
              >
              > Win32: The Python interface only works with one version of Python, selected at
              > compile time.  Can this be made to work with version 2.1 and 2.2 dynamically?
              >
              > Python: Be able to define a Python function that can be called directly from
              > Vim script.  Requires converting the arguments and return value, like with
              > vim.bindeval().

              I have a branch with generic funcrefs which will make this very easy. It partly works (though fixes that make it work are not even committed yet), but I thought deadline for new features passed almost a month ago.

              Branch is called extended-funcrefs, but rebased version is on my PC only.

              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 26, 2013
                Nikolay Pavlov wrote:

                > On Jun 26, 2013 9:22 PM, "Bram Moolenaar" <Bram@...> wrote:
                > >

                > > This is what I currently have at the top of the todo list. Unless I get
                > > a patch soon, I'll move these down and it will have to wait until after
                > > the 7.4 release.
                > >
                > > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                > >
                > > Test 86 fails on MS-Windows, using backslashes instead of forward slashes.
                > > (Taro Muraoka, 2013 Jun 24)
                > > Can we fix this in code instead of in the test?
                >
                > It is testing __file__ and internal C function iterating over &rtp. For the
                > first you should bug python developers. The second will maybe break things.
                > (The first will likely do the same though, but I do not think Python
                > developers will agree to change path separators so this is not an issue.)

                Well, if it's too difficult to fix in the code, then I can include the
                patch that fixes the test.

                > > Python: ":py raw_input('prompt')" doesn't work. (Manu Hack)
                > >
                > > Win32: The Python interface only works with one version of Python,
                > > selected at compile time. Can this be made to work with version 2.1
                > > and 2.2 dynamically?
                > >
                > > Python: Be able to define a Python function that can be called
                > > directly from Vim script. Requires converting the arguments and
                > > return value, like with vim.bindeval().
                >
                > I have a branch with generic funcrefs which will make this very easy. It
                > partly works (though fixes that make it work are not even committed yet),
                > but I thought deadline for new features passed almost a month ago.

                Right, anything that is more than a bit complex, or might require
                discussing details, should have already been included. It's not a good
                idea to make big changes just before starting a beta test.

                > Branch is called extended-funcrefs, but rebased version is on my PC only.
                >
                > > Python SystemExit exception is not handled properly. Patch to catch the
                > > exception and give an error. (Yasuhiro Matsumoto)
                > > Does not work, tests fail.
                > >
                > > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

                BTW: How about making a summary of the most important changes to the
                Python interface? Not more than 30 lines or so. For the "what changed
                in 7.4" section of version7.txt.

                --
                You had connectors? Eeee, when I were a lad we 'ad to carry the
                bits between the computer and the terminal with a spoon...

              • mattn
                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 26, 2013
                  On Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:22:16 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                  > Python SystemExit exception is not handled properly. Patch to catch the
                  > exception and give an error. (Yasuhiro Matsumoto)
                  > Does not work, tests fail.

                  I updated patch.

                  https://gist.github.com/mattn/5385037

                  regards.

                • mattn
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 26, 2013
                    On Thursday, June 27, 2013 9:27:59 AM UTC+9, mattn wrote:
                    > On Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:22:16 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                    > > Python SystemExit exception is not handled properly. Patch to catch the
                    > > exception and give an error. (Yasuhiro Matsumoto)
                    > > Does not work, tests fail.
                    >
                    > I updated patch.
                    >
                    > https://gist.github.com/mattn/5385037
                    >
                    > regards.

                    Sorry Sorry Sorry!
                    It contains debug message.
                    I just removed, and I noticed E863 is used in po/*.po (but not used in *.c, *.h).
                    So I modified to use E880.

                    Thanks.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 27, 2013
                      Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

                      > On Thursday, June 27, 2013 9:27:59 AM UTC+9, mattn wrote:
                      > > On Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:22:16 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                      > > > Python SystemExit exception is not handled properly. Patch to catch the
                      > > > exception and give an error. (Yasuhiro Matsumoto)
                      > > > Does not work, tests fail.
                      > >
                      > > I updated patch.
                      > >
                      > > https://gist.github.com/mattn/5385037
                      > >
                      > > regards.
                      >
                      > Sorry Sorry Sorry!
                      > It contains debug message.
                      > I just removed, and I noticed E863 is used in po/*.po (but not used in
                      > *.c, *.h). So I modified to use E880.

                      Thanks. I'll check that it doesn't break the tests on my machine.

                      --
                      Not too long ago, unzipping in public was illegal...

                    • Nikolay Pavlov
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jun 27, 2013

                        On Jun 27, 2013 8:47 PM, "Bram Moolenaar" <Bram@...> wrote:

                        > Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

                        > > > I updated patch.
                        > > >
                        > > > https://gist.github.com/mattn/5385037
                        > > >
                        > > > regards.
                        > >
                        > > Sorry Sorry Sorry!
                        > > It contains debug message.
                        > > I just removed, and I noticed E863 is used in po/*.po (but not used in
                        > > *.c, *.h).  So I modified to use E880.
                        >
                        > Thanks.  I'll check that it doesn't break the tests on my machine.

                        I am wondering why SystemExit should not be allowed. It is currently the only way to get exit code other then 0 or 1 (except probably for using other bindings).

                        Message 11 of 24 , Jun 27, 2013
                          Nikolay Pavlov wrote:

                          > On Jun 27, 2013 8:47 PM, "Bram Moolenaar" <Bram@...> wrote:
                          > >

                          > > Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

                          > > > Sorry Sorry Sorry!
                          > > > It contains debug message.
                          > > > I just removed, and I noticed E863 is used in po/*.po (but not used in
                          > > > *.c, *.h). So I modified to use E880.
                          > >
                          > > Thanks. I'll check that it doesn't break the tests on my machine.
                          >
                          > I am wondering why SystemExit should not be allowed. It is currently the
                          > only way to get exit code other then 0 or 1 (except probably for using
                          > other bindings).

                          AFAIK it bypasses the code Vim needs to run on exit.

                          Another way would be to intercept SystemExit and call getout().

                          --
                          LAUNCELOT: At last! A call! A cry of distress ...
                          (he draws his sword, and turns to CONCORDE)

                          Message 12 of 24 , Jun 27, 2013
                            Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

                            > On Thursday, June 27, 2013 9:27:59 AM UTC+9, mattn wrote:
                            > > On Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:22:16 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                            > > > Python SystemExit exception is not handled properly. Patch to catch the
                            > > > exception and give an error. (Yasuhiro Matsumoto)
                            > > > Does not work, tests fail.
                            > >
                            > > I updated patch.
                            > >
                            > > https://gist.github.com/mattn/5385037
                            > >
                            > > regards.
                            >
                            > Sorry Sorry Sorry!
                            > It contains debug message.
                            > I just removed, and I noticed E863 is used in po/*.po (but not used in
                            > *.c, *.h). So I modified to use E880.

                            There is a problem:

                            - status = PyRun_SimpleString(code);
                            + status = PyRun_String(code, Py_file_input, globals, globals);

                            PyRun_String does not return an int but a PyObject.
                            You also need to take care of reference counting then.

                            --
                            Not too long ago, compress was something you did to garbage...

                          • mattn
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jun 27, 2013
                              On Friday, June 28, 2013 3:41:38 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                              > There is a problem:
                              >
                              > - status = PyRun_SimpleString(code);
                              > + status = PyRun_String(code, Py_file_input, globals, globals);
                              >
                              > PyRun_String does not return an int but a PyObject.
                              > You also need to take care of reference counting then.

                              You're right. Fixed.

                              https://gist.github.com/mattn/5385037

                              Message 14 of 24 , Jun 28, 2013
                                Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

                                > On Friday, June 28, 2013 3:41:38 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                                > > There is a problem:
                                > >
                                > > - status = PyRun_SimpleString(code);
                                > > + status = PyRun_String(code, Py_file_input, globals, globals);
                                > >
                                > > PyRun_String does not return an int but a PyObject.
                                > > You also need to take care of reference counting then.
                                >
                                > You're right. Fixed.
                                >
                                > https://gist.github.com/mattn/5385037

                                Thanks, I'll include that.

                                --
                                Overflow on /dev/null, please empty the bit bucket.

                                Message 15 of 24 , Jun 28, 2013
                                  Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

                                  > On Friday, June 28, 2013 3:41:38 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                                  > > There is a problem:
                                  > >
                                  > > - status = PyRun_SimpleString(code);
                                  > > + status = PyRun_String(code, Py_file_input, globals, globals);
                                  > >
                                  > > PyRun_String does not return an int but a PyObject.
                                  > > You also need to take care of reference counting then.
                                  >
                                  > You're right. Fixed.
                                  >
                                  > https://gist.github.com/mattn/5385037

                                  On Ubuntu 12.10 this doesn't work, tests 86 and 87 fail.

                                  --
                                  Proverb: A nightingale that forgets the lyrics is a hummingbird.

                                • mattn
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jun 29, 2013
                                    On Saturday, June 29, 2013 3:55:57 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                                    > On Ubuntu 12.10 this doesn't work, tests 86 and 87 fail.

                                    I removed my patch, and tested. but i got failed test 86 and 87. So I guess my patch doesn't affect that.

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jun 29, 2013
                                      Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

                                      > On Saturday, June 29, 2013 3:55:57 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                                      > > On Ubuntu 12.10 this doesn't work, tests 86 and 87 fail.
                                      >
                                      > I removed my patch, and tested. but i got failed test 86 and 87. So I
                                      > guess my patch doesn't affect that.

                                      For me the tests fail when building with statically linked Python, but
                                      pass when linking dynamically.

                                      I understand it's difficult to verify your change is OK if the tests
                                      were failing anyway. I hope you can find a way to make the tests pass
                                      first.

                                      --
                                      [clop clop]
                                      MORTICIAN: Who's that then?

                                    • ZyX
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jun 29, 2013
                                        On Saturday, June 29, 2013 5:48:03 PM UTC+4, mattn wrote:
                                        > On Saturday, June 29, 2013 3:55:57 AM UTC+9, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                                        > > On Ubuntu 12.10 this doesn't work, tests 86 and 87 fail.
                                        >
                                        > I removed my patch, and tested. but i got failed test 86 and 87. So I guess my patch doesn't affect that.

                                        Tests on Ubuntu are failing for the reason described here: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!searchin/vim_dev/tests/vim_dev/CEaL812aLNI/aSuZ0Jin8BQJ. Currently nobody here knows how to fix this except for convincing Ubuntu maintainers not to use -Bsymbolic-functions linking flag.

                                      • mattn
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jul 1, 2013
                                          I updated my patch because I found my change of Py_file_input in run_do should be kept with Py_eval_input.

                                        • Ken Takata
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jul 1, 2013
                                            Hi mattn,

                                            2013/07/01 Mon 19:27:42 UTC+9 mattn wrote:
                                            > I updated my patch because I found my change of Py_file_input in run_do should be kept with Py_eval_input.

                                            After applying your new patch, test 86 and 87 still fail even on Windows.
                                            It seems that calling PyErr_PrintEx() was missing.
                                            Please check the attached patch.

                                            Now test 86 and 87 succeed when I compile with Python 2.7 and 3.2.
                                            But when I use Python 3.3, test 87 fails as already reported by Taro:
                                            https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vim_dev/ceK7gHmPW0E/77VbTy7vf_IJ

                                            Thanks,
                                            Ken Takata

                                          • mattn
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jul 1, 2013
                                              On Monday, July 1, 2013 9:00:04 PM UTC+9, Ken Takata wrote:
                                              > Hi mattn,
                                              >
                                              > 2013/07/01 Mon 19:27:42 UTC+9 mattn wrote:
                                              > > I updated my patch because I found my change of Py_file_input in run_do should be kept with Py_eval_input.
                                              >
                                              > After applying your new patch, test 86 and 87 still fail even on Windows.
                                              > It seems that calling PyErr_PrintEx() was missing.
                                              > Please check the attached patch.
                                              >
                                              > Now test 86 and 87 succeed when I compile with Python 2.7 and 3.2.
                                              > But when I use Python 3.3, test 87 fails as already reported by Taro:
                                              > https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vim_dev/ceK7gHmPW0E/77VbTy7vf_IJ
                                              >
                                              > Thanks,
                                              > Ken Takata

                                              Thank you.

                                            • James McCoy
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jul 1, 2013
                                                On Mon, Jul 01, 2013 at 05:00:04AM -0700, Ken Takata wrote:
                                                > After applying your new patch, test 86 and 87 still fail even on Windows.
                                                > It seems that calling PyErr_PrintEx() was missing.
                                                > Please check the attached patch.

                                                > diff --git a/runtime/doc/if_pyth.txt b/runtime/doc/if_pyth.txt
                                                > --- a/runtime/doc/if_pyth.txt
                                                > +++ b/runtime/doc/if_pyth.txt
                                                > @@ -740,6 +740,11 @@
                                                > 3. You undefine PY_NO_RTLD_GLOBAL in auto/config.h after configuration. This
                                                > may crash Vim though.
                                                >
                                                > + *E880*
                                                > +Raising SystemExit exception in python isn't endosed way to quit vim, use: >

                                                I think you mean "endorsed" in this sentence.

                                                Cheers,
                                                --
                                                James
                                                GPG Key: 4096R/331BA3DB 2011-12-05 James McCoy <jamessan@...>

                                              • Ken Takata
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jul 1, 2013
                                                  Hi James,

                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Jul 1, 2013
                                                    Ken Takata wrote:

                                                    > Hi James,
                                                    >
                                                    > 2013/07/01 Mon 21:18:28 UTC+9 James McCoy wrote:
                                                    > > I think you mean "endorsed" in this sentence.
                                                    >
                                                    > Thank you.

                                                    Thanks everybody, the tests now pass for me.

                                                    --
                                                    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root 24 Oct 29 1929 /bin/ed
                                                    -rwxr-xr-t 4 root 131720 Jan 1 1970 /usr/ucb/vi