[RFC] Rename tests

  • ZyX
    Message 1 of 2 , May 16, 2013
      Wondering whether there is a technical reason to have test names looking like testN.*? It is already not easy to determine what test tests which functionality, and even less easier to find the test if you need to add new subtests.

      Names like test_python.*, test_python3.*, init_test_files.vim (!!! must not be a test: I am talking about “test” test1.in), test_gf.* and so on look much nicer. And unlike error numbers such change seems to not introduce compatibility problems.

      Message 2 of 2 , May 17, 2013
        ZyX wrote:

        > Wondering whether there is a technical reason to have test names
        > looking like testN.*? It is already not easy to determine what test
        > tests which functionality, and even less easier to find the test if
        > you need to add new subtests.
        >
        > Names like test_python.*, test_python3.*, init_test_files.vim (!!!
        > must not be a test: I am talking about “test” test1.in),
        > test_gf.* and so on look much nicer. And unlike error numbers such
        > change seems to not introduce compatibility problems.

        Historic reasons. For some tests it will be difficult to come up with a
        name.

        How about making a README file that lists the tests and what's in them?

        --
        If "R" is Reverse, how come "D" is FORWARD?