Re: [RFC] Some more python and VimL interfaces

  • ZyX
    Message 1 of 42 , May 15, 2013
      >Hi,
      >
      >I've written a couple of large vim plugins, I'm working with ZyX on
      >Powerline, and I'd like to add my vote for the proposed functionality in
      >this RFC.
      >
      >Having direct access to vim functionality with good bindings like
      >suggested in this RFC would remove a huge hurdle with writing vim
      >plugins, and I think it would boost the plugin ecosystem and modernize
      >vim quite a bit.
      >
      >The most important bindings would in my opinion be *.options, *.augroup,
      >the ability to call vim functions directly through *.functions.*, the
      >ability to access variables directly and the ability to access and
      >update hlgroups directly.
      >
      >I also think that if any functionality from this RFC should be
      >implemented, it should be either all or nothing. I'm already sick of
      >having to deal with different levels of Python support in the vim 7.3
      >patchsets, and I'd prefer to not have to tell users to use certain
      >patchsets to have access to certain parts of this RFC, or to have to add
      >even more code to maintain support for different vim versions.

      As I said I can write a fallback module. Note though that such fallback will
      show even worse performance then if you used special fallbacks for your case
      only.

      >A concern I have is: would this RFC apply similarly to other supported
      >languages like Ruby? I think it would be unfair to add this awesome
      >functionality to Python only, and I can imagine that doing so would create
      >a bit of anger among developers who prefer other languages.

      To add this functionality to other languages somebody has to be interested and
      take time to write it. The only interest I have there is looking at how things
      are implemented in different languages and such interest is not enough to write
      that much code. Also note that I can’t construct lua-ish interface without
      previously writing much code in lua and writing pythonic interface for lua after
      saying that VimL-like one is not acceptable in python because python is not VimL
      is a good example of inconsistent words and deeds.

      Message 42 of 42 , May 21, 2013
        Marc Weber wrote:

        > Yet another suggestion - what about adding &rtp to sys.path somehow ?
        > (with or without python version site-packages or the like)
        >
        > Then you could
        > - write .py files
        > - use them from python by
        >
        > import module
        > do_stuff()
        >
        > Yes - it can be trivially implemented in tools like vim-addon-manager,
        > but I'd prefer a global solution usable by everyone.

        Yes, this also came up as a side effect of the os.chdir() solution.

        It's especially useful if a plugin can be distributed as a Python module
        plus some lines in the Vim plugin. It would have a similar effect as
        using a Vim script under autoload.

        --
        A M00se once bit my sister ...