Re: To all syntax file maintainers: examples needed

  • Christian Brabandt
    Message 1 of 23 , May 13, 2013
      Hi Bram!

      On Mo, 13 Mai 2013, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > Not. I only want to work with the syntax files that I have, which are
      > the distributed ones. I'm not going to download and install syntax
      > files for this test.
      >
      > There are more than 500 syntax files, that should be more than enough.

      I didn't mean that you were supposed to test those files. I wanted to
      know how maintainers of unofficial syntax files can test the new RE
      engine.

      regards,
      Christian

    • Thilo Six
      Message 2 of 23 , May 13, 2013
        Resending to list, too.

        Hello Bram,

        Excerpt from Bram Moolenaar:

        -- <snip> --
        > I notice it doesn't get recognized, becaues the pattern for the filetype
        > is */etc/dnsmasq.conf. I think it will be ok to just match
        > "dnsmasq.conf".

        No "dnsmasq.conf" will get you false positives.

        # find /etc -iname 'dnsmasq.conf'
        /etc/dbus-1/system.d/dnsmasq.conf
        /etc/dnsmasq.conf

        Thilo

        4096R/0xC70B1A8F

      • Thilo Six
        Message 3 of 23 , May 14, 2013
          Hello

          -- <snip> --
          >> I notice it doesn't get recognized, becaues the pattern for the filetype
          >> is */etc/dnsmasq.conf. I think it will be ok to just match
          >> "dnsmasq.conf".
          >
          > No "dnsmasq.conf" will get you false positives.
          >
          > # find /etc -iname 'dnsmasq.conf'
          > /etc/dbus-1/system.d/dnsmasq.conf
          > /etc/dnsmasq.conf

          I think for the purpose at hand a modeline will do. attached.

          Thilo

          4096R/0xC70B1A8F

        • Charles Campbell
          Message 4 of 23 , May 15, 2013
            Christian Brabandt wrote:
            > Hi Bram!
            >
            > On Mo, 13 Mai 2013, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            >
            >> Not. I only want to work with the syntax files that I have, which are
            >> the distributed ones. I'm not going to download and install syntax
            >> files for this test.
            >>
            >> There are more than 500 syntax files, that should be more than enough.
            > I didn't mean that you were supposed to test those files. I wanted to
            > know how maintainers of unofficial syntax files can test the new RE
            > engine.

            You could try synchk
            (http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#SYNCHK).

            Before using new re:
            run :ManyMakeSynChk *.[your-favorite-suffix-here]

            After new re:
            run :ManySynChk *.[your-favorite-suffix-here]

            The first command generates a lot of synchk/*.synchk files, which
            contain a hashed version of the syntax on each line.
            The second command compares newly generated hashed versions of the
            syntax on each line with the stored hashes.

            Regards,
            C Campbell

            Message 5 of 23 , May 18, 2013
              I wrote:

              > The plan is to include a new regexp engine in Vim 7.4. For testing
              > I would like to get a lot of files for which we have syntax
              > highlighting. I can then compare the highlighting of these files with
              > the old and the new engine to find anything that is not compatible.
              >
              > Please send me a file that exercises most regexp patterns in the syntax
              > file. It doesn't need to be long, but it should be a complex example of
              > the language. Send it as an attachment to avoid the white space being
              > messed up by the mail system.
              >
              > I would prefer one file per syntax, but it must be valid syntax. If one
              > file is problematic (e.g., you can't concatenate small files without
              > making it invalid), then a few files would be OK. A rough goal would be
              > 1000 lines.
              >
              > At some later point we might also want to do performance measurements.
              > Although I already have a few "bad" examples for that.
              >
              > IMPORTANT: I will distribute the collection of files, so that others can
              > reproduce problems, do performance measurements, etc. Make sure your
              > file has a copyright that permits this. Don't reveal any secrets,
              > patents, trademarks, etc. A line stating that the Vim license applies
              > should be sufficient.

              With the few files I received I already found two bugs in the new regexp
              engine.

              But I received only 7 files. I need many more! So now asking everyone,
              not just syntax file maintainers, to send me files for testing. Please
              read the quoted text above for what the file should contain.

              --
              BRIDGEKEEPER: What is your favorite colour?
              GAWAIN: Blue ... No yelloooooww!

              Message 6 of 23 , May 19, 2013
                Ping -

                > hi Bram:
                > attached is the asciidoc syntax file
                > (http://www.methods.co.nz/asciidoc/#_editor_support) I've been using.
                > thanks!

                It wasn't actually attached:

                > Thisbodypartwillbedownloadedondemand

                - Bram

                --
                It is illegal to rob a bank and then shoot at the bank teller with a water
                pistol.

              • Thomas Köhler
                Message 7 of 23 , May 23, 2013
                  Hello Bram,

                  Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                  > The plan is to include a new regexp engine in Vim 7.4. For testing
                  > I would like to get a lot of files for which we have syntax
                  > highlighting. I can then compare the highlighting of these files with
                  > the old and the new engine to find anything that is not compatible.

                  Makes sense.

                  > Please send me a file that exercises most regexp patterns in the syntax
                  > file. It doesn't need to be long, but it should be a complex example of
                  > the language. Send it as an attachment to avoid the white space being
                  > messed up by the mail system.

                  OK, even though it's tough...

                  > I would prefer one file per syntax, but it must be valid syntax. If one
                  > file is problematic (e.g., you can't concatenate small files without
                  > making it invalid), then a few files would be OK. A rough goal would be
                  > 1000 lines.

                  I made sample files that have valid syntax with the exception of
                  some extra "*/" in order to demonstrate that the commentError
                  groups are also matched.

                  As I am the maintainer of uil.vim and prolog.vim, I have attached
                  a sample file for both syntax files.

                  You might want to take into account that I have not been using
                  any of those two languages since I left university, which I did
                  almost 10 years ago, plus you might want to take into account
                  that prolog has several dialects which might have subtle
                  differences, plus I added some code that demonstrates the
                  highlightning groups, but doesn't make any sense otherwise: asIs
                  demonstrates that mistyped operators are not being highlighted as
                  operators (which is no correct prolog syntax). Something similar
                  holds true for notaNumber.

                  For uil, I just invented a small example. It uses correct syntax,
                  but I didn't provide matching .c and .h files to be able to
                  compile that - I don't even have a Motif development environment
                  any more ;)

                  > IMPORTANT: I will distribute the collection of files, so that others can
                  > reproduce problems, do performance measurements, etc. Make sure your
                  > file has a copyright that permits this. Don't reveal any secrets,
                  > patents, trademarks, etc. A line stating that the Vim license applies
                  > should be sufficient.

                  I have just hacked the files together, you can distribute them
                  together with vim under the same license. I even added this as a
                  comment at the top of the file. :)

                  Ciao,
                  Thomas

                  --
                  Thomas Köhler Email: jean-luc@...
                  <>< WWW: http://gott-gehabt.de
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 23, 2013
                    On Saturday, May 11, 2013 6:00:11 PM UTC+2, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                    > The plan is to include a new regexp engine in Vim 7.4. For testing
                    >
                    > I would like to get a lot of files for which we have syntax
                    >
                    > highlighting. I can then compare the highlighting of these files with
                    >
                    > the old and the new engine to find anything that is not compatible.
                    >

                    > Please send me a file that exercises most regexp patterns in the syntax
                    >
                    > file. It doesn't need to be long, but it should be a complex example of
                    >
                    > the language. Send it as an attachment to avoid the white space being
                    >
                    > messed up by the mail system.
                    >

                    > I would prefer one file per syntax, but it must be valid syntax. If one
                    >
                    > file is problematic (e.g., you can't concatenate small files without
                    >
                    > making it invalid), then a few files would be OK. A rough goal would be
                    >
                    > 1000 lines.
                    >

                    > At some later point we might also want to do performance measurements.
                    >
                    > Although I already have a few "bad" examples for that.
                    >

                    > IMPORTANT: I will distribute the collection of files, so that others can
                    >
                    > reproduce problems, do performance measurements, etc. Make sure your
                    >
                    > file has a copyright that permits this. Don't reveal any secrets,
                    >
                    > patents, trademarks, etc. A line stating that the Vim license applies
                    >
                    > should be sufficient.
                    >

                    > --
                    >
                    > This is the polymorph virus! Follow these instructions carefully:
                    >
                    > 1. Send this message to everybody you know.
                    >
                    > 2. Format your harddisk.
                    >
                    > Thank you for your cooperation in spreading the most powerful virus ever!

                    Here's a post I made on the general mailing list:

                    https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/vim_use/QU7mW9RWnLc

                    If you comment out the set regexpengine statement, it breaks the folding entirely.

                    -Rob

                    Message 9 of 23 , May 23, 2013
                      Thomas Köhler wrote:

                      > Hello Bram,
                      >
                      > Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                      > > The plan is to include a new regexp engine in Vim 7.4. For testing
                      > > I would like to get a lot of files for which we have syntax
                      > > highlighting. I can then compare the highlighting of these files with
                      > > the old and the new engine to find anything that is not compatible.
                      >
                      > Makes sense.
                      >
                      > > Please send me a file that exercises most regexp patterns in the syntax
                      > > file. It doesn't need to be long, but it should be a complex example of
                      > > the language. Send it as an attachment to avoid the white space being
                      > > messed up by the mail system.
                      >
                      > OK, even though it's tough...
                      >
                      > > I would prefer one file per syntax, but it must be valid syntax. If one
                      > > file is problematic (e.g., you can't concatenate small files without
                      > > making it invalid), then a few files would be OK. A rough goal would be
                      > > 1000 lines.
                      >
                      > I made sample files that have valid syntax with the exception of
                      > some extra "*/" in order to demonstrate that the commentError
                      > groups are also matched.

                      Oh, I meant it should not be garbage. Matching with patterns to
                      highlight errors is also useful in this context.

                      > As I am the maintainer of uil.vim and prolog.vim, I have attached
                      > a sample file for both syntax files.
                      >
                      > You might want to take into account that I have not been using
                      > any of those two languages since I left university, which I did
                      > almost 10 years ago, plus you might want to take into account
                      > that prolog has several dialects which might have subtle
                      > differences, plus I added some code that demonstrates the
                      > highlightning groups, but doesn't make any sense otherwise: asIs
                      > demonstrates that mistyped operators are not being highlighted as
                      > operators (which is no correct prolog syntax). Something similar
                      > holds true for notaNumber.
                      >
                      > For uil, I just invented a small example. It uses correct syntax,
                      > but I didn't provide matching .c and .h files to be able to
                      > compile that - I don't even have a Motif development environment
                      > any more ;)
                      >
                      > > IMPORTANT: I will distribute the collection of files, so that others can
                      > > reproduce problems, do performance measurements, etc. Make sure your
                      > > file has a copyright that permits this. Don't reveal any secrets,
                      > > patents, trademarks, etc. A line stating that the Vim license applies
                      > > should be sufficient.
                      >
                      > I have just hacked the files together, you can distribute them
                      > together with vim under the same license. I even added this as a
                      > comment at the top of the file. :)

                      Thanks! I'm still finding more errors with newly received files, keep
                      them coming!

                      --
                      Eye have a spelling checker, it came with my PC;
                      It plainly marks four my revue mistakes I cannot sea.

                    • Dominique Pellé
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 24, 2013
                        Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                        > With the few files I received I already found two bugs in the new regexp
                        > engine.
                        >
                        > But I received only 7 files. I need many more! So now asking everyone,
                        > not just syntax file maintainers, to send me files for testing. Please
                        > read the quoted text above for what the file should contain.

                        Hi Bram

                        Attached is a sample file for the 'gprof' file type, to test
                        the new regexp engine.

                        The 'gprof' syntax is not part of the official vim, but
                        I have a plugin here which you may want to include
                        to the official vim if it is useful enough:

                        Since gprof file does not have an official extension,
                        you need to do ":setfiletype gprof", or add the following
                        lines to $VIMRUNTIME/scripts.vim to automatically
                        recognize gprof files:

                        diff -r 05b791824368 runtime/scripts.vim
                        --- a/runtime/scripts.vim Wed May 22 23:00:40 2013 +0200
                        +++ b/runtime/scripts.vim Fri May 24 08:22:33 2013 +0200
                        @@ -327,6 +327,12 @@
                        elseif s:line1 =~ '^\(commit\|tree\|object\) \x\{40\}\>\|^tag \S\+$'
                        set ft=git

                        + " Gprof (gnu profiler)
                        + elseif s:line1 == 'Flat profile:'
                        + \ && s:line2 == ''
                        + \ && s:line3 =~ '^Each sample counts as .* seconds.$'
                        + set ft=gprof
                        +
                        " CVS diff
                        else
                        let s:lnum = 1

                        Regards
                        Dominique

                        Message 11 of 23 , May 24, 2013
                          Dominique Pelle wrote:

                          > Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                          >
                          > > With the few files I received I already found two bugs in the new regexp
                          > > engine.
                          > >
                          > > But I received only 7 files. I need many more! So now asking everyone,
                          > > not just syntax file maintainers, to send me files for testing. Please
                          > > read the quoted text above for what the file should contain.
                          >
                          > Hi Bram
                          >
                          > Attached is a sample file for the 'gprof' file type, to test
                          > the new regexp engine.
                          >
                          > The 'gprof' syntax is not part of the official vim, but
                          > I have a plugin here which you may want to include
                          > to the official vim if it is useful enough:

                          > Since gprof file does not have an official extension,
                          > you need to do ":setfiletype gprof", or add the following
                          > lines to $VIMRUNTIME/scripts.vim to automatically
                          > recognize gprof files:

                          Thanks. I'll include the gprof syntax and ftplugin.

                          The gprof_sample.txt is too big and repetitive, I'll throw away some
                          lines. And rename it to gprof_sample, otherwise it gets "text"
                          filetype.

                          --
                          BEDEVERE: Wait. Wait ... tell me, what also floats on water?
                          ALL: Bread? No, no, no. Apples .... gravy ... very small rocks ...