Re: Pluggable eventloop, was Re: Plans for Vim 7.4

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 57 , May 12, 2013
      On 12/05/13 21:28, Jan Pobrislo wrote:
      > On Sat, 11 May 2013 04:45:50 +0200, Tony Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
      >>> 1) Add VimL api to hook into the eventloops. The unix poll() eventloop seems
      >>> simple enough to start with.
      >>
      >> Is it guaranteed to be available? Think MS-Windows or IBM-mainframe.
      >>

      > Nope, neither are some other optional features. What I'm saying here is that
      > the eventloop that covers significant part of vim installs (terminal on
      > unix-like platforms) seemed easy enough to hack, so I could start
      > prototyping on that and then see how it can be transferred to other
      > platforms.
      >
      > Generally said, we can not portably handle this on platforms that don't have
      > filedescriptor handling like this. Luckily, pretty much everybody stole the
      > BSD socket implementation, so this interface is quite widespread.
      >
      > It should definitely be more portable than the +clientserver feature, of
      > which it is functionally superset. (FWIU +clientserver requires either X11
      > or Windows event queue)
      >
      >>> 2) Add support for some established eventloop that is already pluggable. I
      >>> suspect glib can already be accessed inside gvim. My choice for terminal
      >>
      >> glib inside Vim? Again, even when compiled on MS Visual C or on some
      >> z390 compiler? Don't forget that Vim is multi-platform, and that we're
      >> proud of that.
      >
      > Glib inside gvim, since gtk+ uses glib internally. More precisely glib is
      > that part of gtk+ that does not deal with gui, so there's no gvim without
      > glib. (Unless there's implementation of gvim not based on gtk which I'm
      > unaware of).

      My understanding was that glib is the C library included with gcc,
      regardless of whether some GUI development package (and which one) is
      also installed. As such, glib is not included with MS Visual C which is
      one of the most popular C compilers used (including by Bram) when
      compiling Vim for Windows. I don't know which C compiler is included on
      IBM EBCDIC zOS systems; for all I know it could well be something
      totally different (unlike C for zLinux, which is gcc, but running on a
      non-Intel-x86-compatible processor). I'm not sure either which compiler
      is used on Mac OSX but for all I know it could be some version of gcc.

      Additionally, there are several gvim implementations not based on GTK2
      (or on the obsolete GTK1) even on Linux, but all of them are compiled
      with gcc so I would assume that they are based on glib.

      >>> vim would probably be libevent which is highly portable and supported by
      >>> libraries of most scripting languages out there (I know of gevent for
      >>> python. Perl, lua and ruby should also have one). That way we can have
      >>> features working those languages first and then go on with VimL api
      >>> as for 1)
      >>>

      > For reference, from libevent.org:
      > Currently, libevent supports /dev/poll, kqueue(2), event ports, POSIX
      > select(2), Windows select(), poll(2), and epoll(4).
      > Libevent should compile on Linux, *BSD, Mac OS X, Solaris, Windows, and
      > more.
      >
      > Thanks for reply :-)

      SOLDIER: What? Ridden on a horse?
      ARTHUR: Yes!
      SOLDIER: You're using coconuts!
      PICTURES LTD

      Message 57 of 57 , May 23, 2013
        Thomas Köhler wrote:

        > Hello Bram, hello Ron,
        >
        > Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        > > Hello Vim users,
        > [...]
        > > Besides that, if you are maintaining runtime files, please send me any
        > > pending updates. I will not make big changes just before the release,
        > > everything needs some time for testing. Let's set a deadline at the end
        > > of May.
        >
        > Attached, you can find a new version of prolog.vim (syntax
        > highlightning for prolog) and koehler.vim (my colorscheme). The
        > former fixes a bug in prologClauseHead higlightning, the later
        > now supports the Underline and Ignore groups.

        Thanks, I'll include them.

        --
        DENNIS: You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some
        watery tart threw a sword at you!