Re: Pluggable eventloop, was Re: Plans for Vim 7.4

  • Jan Pobrislo
    Message 1 of 57 , May 12 1:08 PM
      On Sat, 11 May 2013 15:44:10 +0200, Xavier de Gaye <xdegaye@...> wrote:
      > An alternative would be to allow any python thread to call the vim-python
      > interface through message passing.

      That indeed is also possible, but for it to work properly you need to create
      interface for waking the main thread from iowait, which again means that you
      need to change the eventloop implementation anyway. And since you can
      implement message passing and multithreading whenever you have proper
      pluggable eventloop (assuming the platform supports something akin to
      socketpair() for waking) I don't see the point of having way more
      complicated and non-standard interface via message passing. Not to mention
      it would force programmers to spend extra effort on data structure locking,
      which is quite well known to be error-prone and produces hard to debug bugs.

      The point of implementing new eventloop based on libevent is that you can
      then use it transparently from any scripting language vim supports (except
      for VimL itself) without any extra code in each language. Just pull in
      whatever wrapper the language has for libevent and you're set to go.

      Not that I'm strictly against such feature, it will still be way better than
      any updatetime hack out there, it just seems more tedious to both to
      implement and subsequently to use.

      Thanks for reply.

      Message 57 of 57 , May 23 12:53 PM
        Thomas Köhler wrote:

        > Hello Bram, hello Ron,
        >
        > Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        > > Hello Vim users,
        > [...]
        > > Besides that, if you are maintaining runtime files, please send me any
        > > pending updates. I will not make big changes just before the release,
        > > everything needs some time for testing. Let's set a deadline at the end
        > > of May.
        >
        > Attached, you can find a new version of prolog.vim (syntax
        > highlightning for prolog) and koehler.vim (my colorscheme). The
        > former fixes a bug in prologClauseHead higlightning, the later
        > now supports the Underline and Ignore groups.

        Thanks, I'll include them.

        --
        DENNIS: You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some
        watery tart threw a sword at you!