[patch] confusing error E380/E381

  • Christian Brabandt
    Message 1 of 2 , May 10 1:50 PM
      Bram,
      the help states:
      ,----
      | When ":colder" has been used and ":make" or ":grep" is used to add a new error
      | list, one newer list is overwritten. This is especially useful if you are
      | browsing with ":grep" |grep|. If you want to keep the more recent error
      | lists, use ":cnewer 99" first.
      `----

      Suppose you have 4 error lists and errorlist 1 is displayed. When using
      :cnewer 99, you'll get Error E381 and the errorlist isn't updated. You
      seem to be still in error list 1, although you are actually in the last
      error list.

      You'll only notice that you are actually in another error list by
      pressing Enter on it and it will jump to the error of the errorlist that
      isn't displayed. (Also :cclose followed by :copen updates the errorlist
      correctly and works around the issue).

      Here is a patch, that fixes the issue, by making sure, the error list is
      updated even if an error occured.

      regards,
      Christian

      Message 2 of 2 , May 11 4:52 AM
        Christian Brabandt wrote:

        > Bram,
        > the help states:
        > ,----
        > | When ":colder" has been used and ":make" or ":grep" is used to add a new error
        > | list, one newer list is overwritten. This is especially useful if you are
        > | browsing with ":grep" |grep|. If you want to keep the more recent error
        > | lists, use ":cnewer 99" first.
        > `----
        >
        > Suppose you have 4 error lists and errorlist 1 is displayed. When using
        > :cnewer 99, you'll get Error E381 and the errorlist isn't updated. You
        > seem to be still in error list 1, although you are actually in the last
        > error list.
        >
        > You'll only notice that you are actually in another error list by
        > pressing Enter on it and it will jump to the error of the errorlist that
        > isn't displayed. (Also :cclose followed by :copen updates the errorlist
        > correctly and works around the issue).
        >
        > Here is a patch, that fixes the issue, by making sure, the error list is
        > updated even if an error occured.

        Makes sense. I'll include it.

        --
        'I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it."
        -- Mae West