Re: stale help about window-local options

  • Kartik Agaram
    Message 1 of 3 , May 10, 2013
      Sorry about the delay.

      > Now the 'list' option is not set, because ":set nolist" resets the global
      > value, ":setlocal list" only changes the local value and ":e two" gets the
      > global value. Note that if you do this next: >
      > :e one
      > You will get back the 'list' value as it was the last time you edited "one".
      > The options local to a window are remembered for each buffer. This also
      > happens when the buffer is not loaded, but they are lost when the buffer is
      > wiped out |:bwipe|.

      Yes, this is accurate in my testing. Did you mean "This also happens
      when the buffer is unloaded |:bunload|, but local options are lost.."?
      That's what I tried.

      > Instead of deleting the text, let's correct it. And add useful
      > information about when the options are kept.

      The basic example with ':e one' didn't seem to me to require an
      example because the entire two previous paragraphs basically say the
      same thing. Buffer-local variables should be persisted within the
      buffer, duh :) But the points about :bunload and :bwipe are useful.

      ---

      I've been working off and on on rephrasing that entire paragraph, but
      I think I don't fully understand it yet :)

      It's possible to set a local window option specifically for a type of
      buffer. When you edit another buffer in the same window, you don't want to
      keep using these local window options. Therefore Vim keeps a global value
      of the local window options, which is used when editing another buffer.
      Each window has its own copy of these values. Thus these are local to the
      window, but global to all buffers in the window.

      What does "a type of buffer" mean? It's unclear how the first sentence
      connects up with the rest.