Issue 133 in vim: [syntax patch proposal] config.vim recognize AC_MSG as strings

  • vim@...
      Owner: ----
      Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

      New issue 133 by yngve.le...@...: [syntax patch proposal] config.vim
      recognize AC_MSG as strings

      In configure.ac scripts, the AC_MSG_ERROR([...]) defines a string
      environment. This patch makes vim syntax recognize this correctly, and I
      also made the educated guess that this more generally holds for any
      AC_MSG_[A-Z]*([...]) environments.

      The trouble with not detecting this is that you can have ' or ` inside
      these strings, which are then defining a string environment until the next
      occurence of ' or ` according to the current syntax file. This causes in my
      case huge 'string environments' which makes the syntax highlighting kind of
      pointless.

      I also reduced two lines for comment recognition by using \z(\).

      And fixed one spelling mistake in the comments. Please find the patch
      attached. Please also note I am no expert in writing these syntax files, so
      please feel free to edit as you see fit!

      Minor comment:
      I was originally hoping that this would work because I thought it would be
      cleaner:
      syn region configstring start="AC_MSG_[A-Z]*"ms=s+14 end="\])"me=e-2

      However, the ms=s+14 does not work somehow. Is this a bug? If I used
      hs=s+14 instead it is fine, but then the AC_MSG_ part and ([ is not
      highlighted as they should.

      Attachments:
      config.vim.patch 1.9 KB

      issue notifications to this address.

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 9, 2014
        Updates:
        Labels: Runtime

        Comment #1 on issue 133 by chrisbr...@...: [syntax patch
        proposal] config.vim recognize AC_MSG as strings
        https://code.google.com/p/vim/issues/detail?id=133

        This should be taken to the maintainer of that particular syntax file. I
        wrote him a short message to take a look at this patch.

        issue notifications to this address.

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 9, 2014
          Updates:
          Cc: brammool...@...

          Comment #2 on issue 133 by chrisbr...@...: [syntax patch
          proposal] config.vim recognize AC_MSG as strings
          https://code.google.com/p/vim/issues/detail?id=133

          maintainers email bounces. You might want to include the patch nevertheless.

          issue notifications to this address.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 9
            Updates:
            Labels: patch

            Comment #3 on issue 133 by chrisbr...@...: [syntax patch

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 14
              Updates:

              Comment #4 on issue 133 by brammool...@...: [syntax patch proposal]
              config.vim recognize AC_MSG as strings
              https://code.google.com/p/vim/issues/detail?id=133

              Thanks. I'll check for ([message]) and (message) separately, otherwise the
              end isn't recognized properly.

              issue notifications to this address.