Re: Add an option for matchparen to disable it in insert mode

  • Fanhe Fanhed
    Message 1 of 19 , May 4, 2013
      Agreed too.
      So, Ingo, can you offer a full patch?
      And please offer a global way to disable matchparen in insert mode. Because I found I really not need it in insert mode. :)

      2013/5/3 Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...>

      Ingo Karkat wrote:

      > On 01-May-2013 22:29 +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      >
      > > Fanhe Fanhed wrote:
      > >
      > >> matchparen plugin in CursorMoveI autocmd is too slow while typing. So I
      > >> wish disable it in insert mode.
      > >
      > > I suppose this is because the syntax highlighting for the language is
      > > slow.  Disabling it for all file types is a bit of a blunt instrument
      > > then.
      > >
      > > How about allowing the user to specify the filetypes for which
      > > matchparen works in insert mode?  While at it, might as well defined the
      > > file types for which it works at all.
      >
      > Such a configuration is not trivial to implement (think of compound
      > filetypes like "c.doxygen") and still not the most general. If all this
      > configurability really has to be there, I'd rather have the script
      > observe both buffer-local or global variables, like:
      >
      > #v+
      >     autocmd CursorMovedI *
      >     \ if exists('b:matchparen_no_insertmode') |
      >     \     if b:matchparen_no_insertmode |
      >     \         return |
      >     \     endif
      >     \ elseif exists('g:matchparen_no_insertmode') &&
      > g:matchparen_no_insertmode |
      >     \     return |
      >     \ endif |
      >     \ ...
      > #v-
      >
      > This gets you the filetype-specific disabling (in a little more
      > roundabout way, by setting b:matchparen_no_insertmode in
      > ~/.vim/after/ftplugin/{filetype}.vim), and you can also disable manually
      > for the current buffer, for all buffers in a particular subdirectory /
      > of a certain file size / matching a certain pattern / etc.
      >
      > I use this idiom in a couple of my plugins, and I've found it more
      > flexible than a list of configurable filetypes.

      Agreed, using a buffer-local variable is better than trying to use a
      pattern to match filetypes.

      267. You get an extra phone line so you can get phone calls.

       /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
      ///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
      \\\  an exciting new programming language -- http://www.Zimbu.org        ///
       \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org    ///

    • Ingo Karkat
      Message 2 of 19 , May 6, 2013
        On 04-May-2013 14:59 +0200, Fanhe Fanhed wrote:

        > Agreed too.
        > So, Ingo, can you offer a full patch?
        > And please offer a global way to disable matchparen in insert mode.
        > Because I found I really not need it in insert mode. :)
        >

        > 2013/5/3 Bram Moolenaar <Bram@... <mailto:Bram@...>>
        >

        > Ingo Karkat wrote:

        > typing. So I
        > > >
        > > > I suppose this is because the syntax highlighting for the
        > language is
        > > > slow. Disabling it for all file types is a bit of a blunt
        > instrument
        > > > then.
        > > >
        > > > How about allowing the user to specify the filetypes for which
        > > > matchparen works in insert mode? While at it, might as well
        > defined the
        > > > file types for which it works at all.
        > >
        > > Such a configuration is not trivial to implement (think of compound
        > > filetypes like "c.doxygen") and still not the most general. If all
        > this
        > > configurability really has to be there, I'd rather have the script
        > > observe both buffer-local or global variables, like:
        > >
        > > #v+
        > > autocmd CursorMovedI *
        > > \ if exists('b:matchparen_no_insertmode') |
        > > \ if b:matchparen_no_insertmode |
        > > \ return |
        > > \ endif
        > > \ elseif exists('g:matchparen_no_insertmode') &&
        > > g:matchparen_no_insertmode |
        > > \ return |
        > > \ endif |
        > > \ ...
        > > #v-
        > >
        > > This gets you the filetype-specific disabling (in a little more
        > > roundabout way, by setting b:matchparen_no_insertmode in
        > > ~/.vim/after/ftplugin/{filetype}.vim), and you can also disable
        > manually
        > > for the current buffer, for all buffers in a particular subdirectory /
        > > of a certain file size / matching a certain pattern / etc.
        > >
        > > I use this idiom in a couple of my plugins, and I've found it more
        > > flexible than a list of configurable filetypes.
        >
        > Agreed, using a buffer-local variable is better than trying to use a
        > pattern to match filetypes.

        After thinking some more about it, I've come to the conclusion that all
        attempts so far step around the central issue: The maximum matchparen
        delay in insert mode is too large, so that it noticeably affects typing.
        We shouldn't work around this, neither by globally disabling in insert
        mode, nor through any of the proposed filetype- or buffer-local
        configurations.

        Instead, let's just reduce the maximum allowable delay in insert mode,
        as this also is much simpler to do. The plugin contains a hard-coded
        maximum of 300 ms; attached patch reduces that somewhat arbitrarily to a
        fifth, hopefully unnoticeable 60 ms. This way, there's no need to
        configure anything, and you still reap the benefits of matchparen in
        most cases, even for problematic files / file types. This only leaves
        out old Vim versions that don't have the {timeout} argument on
        searchpairpos(), but as you're the first to raise this issue, it may not
        be that widespread to bother.

        -- regards, ingo

        PS: Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.

        Message 3 of 19 , May 6, 2013
          Ingo Karkat wrote:

          > On 04-May-2013 14:59 +0200, Fanhe Fanhed wrote:
          >
          > > Agreed too.
          > > So, Ingo, can you offer a full patch?
          > > And please offer a global way to disable matchparen in insert mode.
          > > Because I found I really not need it in insert mode. :)
          > >

          > > 2013/5/3 Bram Moolenaar <Bram@... <mailto:Bram@...>>

          > > typing. So I

          > > language is
          > > instrument

          > > defined the
          > > >
          > > > Such a configuration is not trivial to implement (think of compound
          > > > filetypes like "c.doxygen") and still not the most general. If all
          > > this
          > > > configurability really has to be there, I'd rather have the script
          > > > observe both buffer-local or global variables, like:
          > > >
          > > > #v+
          > > > autocmd CursorMovedI *
          > > > \ if exists('b:matchparen_no_insertmode') |
          > > > \ if b:matchparen_no_insertmode |
          > > > \ return |
          > > > \ endif
          > > > \ elseif exists('g:matchparen_no_insertmode') &&
          > > > g:matchparen_no_insertmode |
          > > > \ return |
          > > > \ endif |
          > > > \ ...
          > > > #v-
          > > >
          > > > This gets you the filetype-specific disabling (in a little more
          > > > roundabout way, by setting b:matchparen_no_insertmode in
          > > > ~/.vim/after/ftplugin/{filetype}.vim), and you can also disable
          > > manually
          > > > for the current buffer, for all buffers in a particular subdirectory /
          > > > of a certain file size / matching a certain pattern / etc.
          > > >
          > > > I use this idiom in a couple of my plugins, and I've found it more
          > > > flexible than a list of configurable filetypes.
          > >
          > > Agreed, using a buffer-local variable is better than trying to use a
          > > pattern to match filetypes.
          >
          > After thinking some more about it, I've come to the conclusion that all
          > attempts so far step around the central issue: The maximum matchparen
          > delay in insert mode is too large, so that it noticeably affects typing.
          > We shouldn't work around this, neither by globally disabling in insert
          > mode, nor through any of the proposed filetype- or buffer-local
          > configurations.
          >
          > Instead, let's just reduce the maximum allowable delay in insert mode,
          > as this also is much simpler to do. The plugin contains a hard-coded
          > maximum of 300 ms; attached patch reduces that somewhat arbitrarily to a
          > fifth, hopefully unnoticeable 60 ms. This way, there's no need to
          > configure anything, and you still reap the benefits of matchparen in
          > most cases, even for problematic files / file types. This only leaves
          > out old Vim versions that don't have the {timeout} argument on
          > searchpairpos(), but as you're the first to raise this issue, it may not
          > be that widespread to bother.

          Thanks, makes sense.

          So, how do we decide on the timeout? 300 msec is too much, 60 msec is
          OK? Perhaps we should make this time configurable.

          --
          They now pass three KNIGHTS impaled to a tree. With their feet off the
          ground, with one lance through the lot of them, they are skewered up

        • Ingo Karkat
          Message 4 of 19 , May 7, 2013
            On 07-May-2013 05:11 +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

            > Ingo Karkat wrote:
            >
            >> On 04-May-2013 14:59 +0200, Fanhe Fanhed wrote:
            >>
            >>> Agreed too.
            >>> So, Ingo, can you offer a full patch?
            >>> And please offer a global way to disable matchparen in insert mode.
            >>> Because I found I really not need it in insert mode. :)

            >>> typing. So I

            >>> language is
            >>> instrument

            >>> defined the

            >>> this

            >>> manually

            >>> Agreed, using a buffer-local variable is better than trying to use a
            >>> pattern to match filetypes.
            >>
            >> After thinking some more about it, I've come to the conclusion that all
            >> attempts so far step around the central issue: The maximum matchparen
            >> delay in insert mode is too large, so that it noticeably affects typing.
            >> We shouldn't work around this, neither by globally disabling in insert
            >> mode, nor through any of the proposed filetype- or buffer-local
            >> configurations.
            >>
            >> Instead, let's just reduce the maximum allowable delay in insert mode,
            >> as this also is much simpler to do. The plugin contains a hard-coded
            >> maximum of 300 ms; attached patch reduces that somewhat arbitrarily to a
            >> fifth, hopefully unnoticeable 60 ms. This way, there's no need to
            >> configure anything, and you still reap the benefits of matchparen in
            >> most cases, even for problematic files / file types. This only leaves
            >> out old Vim versions that don't have the {timeout} argument on
            >> searchpairpos(), but as you're the first to raise this issue, it may not
            >> be that widespread to bother.
            >
            > Thanks, makes sense.
            >
            > So, how do we decide on the timeout? 300 msec is too much, 60 msec is
            > OK? Perhaps we should make this time configurable.

            If Fanhe agrees with the proposed change, I'd rather not make it more
            complex so far. Although I'm usually a big proponent of configurability,
            the values seem to be fine for 99,99% of users, and a maximum, corner
            case delay of 1/3 s while moving around seems as reasonable as a barely
            noticeable 60 ms while typing.

            -- regards, ingo

            Message 5 of 19 , May 7, 2013

              > >> After thinking some more about it, I've come to the conclusion that all
              > >> attempts so far step around the central issue: The maximum matchparen
              > >> delay in insert mode is too large, so that it noticeably affects typing.
              > >> We shouldn't work around this, neither by globally disabling in insert
              > >> mode, nor through any of the proposed filetype- or buffer-local
              > >> configurations.
              > >>
              > >> Instead, let's just reduce the maximum allowable delay in insert mode,
              > >> as this also is much simpler to do. The plugin contains a hard-coded
              > >> maximum of 300 ms; attached patch reduces that somewhat arbitrarily to a
              > >> fifth, hopefully unnoticeable 60 ms. This way, there's no need to
              > >> configure anything, and you still reap the benefits of matchparen in
              > >> most cases, even for problematic files / file types. This only leaves
              > >> out old Vim versions that don't have the {timeout} argument on
              > >> searchpairpos(), but as you're the first to raise this issue, it may not
              > >> be that widespread to bother.
              > >
              > > Thanks, makes sense.
              > >
              > > So, how do we decide on the timeout? 300 msec is too much, 60 msec is
              > > OK? Perhaps we should make this time configurable.
              >
              > If Fanhe agrees with the proposed change, I'd rather not make it more
              > complex so far. Although I'm usually a big proponent of configurability,
              > the values seem to be fine for 99,99% of users, and a maximum, corner
              > case delay of 1/3 s while moving around seems as reasonable as a barely
              > noticeable 60 ms while typing.

              It's not so complicated:

              if !exists("g:matchparen_timeout")
              let g:matchparen_timeout = 300
              endif
              if !exists("g:matchparen_insert_timeout")
              let g:matchparen_insert_timeout = 60
              endif

              if mode() == 'i' || mode() == 'R'
              let timeout = exists("b:matchparen_insert_timeout") ? b:matchparen_insert_timeout : g:matchparen_insert_timeout
              else
              let timeout = exists("b:matchparen_timeout") ? b:matchparen_timeout : g:matchparen_timeout
              endif

              --
              ZOOT: I'm afraid our life must seem very dull and quiet compared to yours.
              We are but eightscore young blondes, all between sixteen and

            • Fanhe Fanhed
              Message 6 of 19 , May 13, 2013
                Agree with Bram.
                Thanks all.