Re: display of listchars characters on the cursorline & visual-mode

  • Ingo Karkat
    Message 1 of 10 , May 2, 2013
      On 30-Apr-2013 06:38 +0200, nayuri.aohime wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Fixed the display of listchars characters on the cursorline & visual-mode.
      > I've created a patch of two patterns.
      > I should not be judged because it is personal preference.
      >
      > SpecialKey_overrides_CursorLine.patch
      > -> Every highlighting listchars chatscters.
      >
      > CursorLine_overrides_SpecialKey.patch
      > -> Easy to use because it is similar to the current version.
      >
      > comparison.png
      > -> Please refer.
      > It is a comparison image in the following settings.
      > :colorscheme delek
      > :set cursorline list listchars=eol:$,tab:>-,trail:~,nbsp:%
      >
      > I prefer the CursorLine_overrides_SpecialKey.patch version.

      +1 from me; I also think the CursorLine_overrides_SpecialKey.patch is
      better. Thank you for including the graphical comparison; that's really
      helpful!

      Though purely cosmetic, this issue is indeed disturbing people; e.g. see
      the following Stack Overflow questions about this:

      http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8248872/in-vim-can-you-stop-the-color-change-of-white-space-characters-with-set-cursorl

      http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15606098/set-visibility-and-or-color-of-listchars-or-conceal-cchar-in-vim-when-cursorline

      -- regards, ingo

      Message 2 of 10 , May 2, 2013
        2013年5月2日木曜日 22時37分48秒 UTC+9 Ingo Karkat:
        > On 30-Apr-2013 06:38 +0200, nayuri.aohime wrote:
        >

        > > Hi,
        >

        > > Fixed the display of listchars characters on the cursorline & visual-mode.
        >
        > > I've created a patch of two patterns.
        >
        > > I should not be judged because it is personal preference.
        >

        > > SpecialKey_overrides_CursorLine.patch
        >
        > > -> Every highlighting listchars chatscters.
        >

        > > CursorLine_overrides_SpecialKey.patch
        >
        > > -> Easy to use because it is similar to the current version.
        >

        > > comparison.png
        >
        > > -> Please refer.
        >
        > > It is a comparison image in the following settings.
        >
        > > :colorscheme delek
        >
        > > :set cursorline list listchars=eol:$,tab:>-,trail:~,nbsp:%
        >

        > > I prefer the CursorLine_overrides_SpecialKey.patch version.
        >

        > +1 from me; I also think the CursorLine_overrides_SpecialKey.patch is
        >
        > better. Thank you for including the graphical comparison; that's really
        >
        > helpful!
        >

        > Though purely cosmetic, this issue is indeed disturbing people; e.g. see
        >
        > the following Stack Overflow questions about this:
        >

        > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8248872/in-vim-can-you-stop-the-color-change-of-white-space-characters-with-set-cursorl
        >

        > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15606098/set-visibility-and-or-color-of-listchars-or-conceal-cchar-in-vim-when-cursorline
        >

        > -- regards, ingo
        Hi,

        I've found a bug in the previous patch, but fixed.
        Contents of the bug are:
        * set list listchars=eol:$ conceallevel=1 concealcursor=nvic
        * syntax match NonText / / conceal cchar=.
        * Insert space(0x20), not displayed eol character.

        SpecialKey_overrides_CursorLine_ver2.patch
        -> Every highlighting listchars chatscters & conceal characters.

        CursorLine_overrides_SpecialKey_ver2.patch
        -> Easy to use because it is similar to the current version.

        This patches is ConcealCharacters will be treated the same as SpecialKey.
        Make the other versions it is easy.

        Best regards,
        DeaR

        Message 3 of 10 , May 2, 2013

          Message 4 of 10 , May 3, 2013
            2013年5月3日金曜日 5時37分36秒 UTC+9 nayuri...@...:
            > 2013年5月2日木曜日 22時37分48秒 UTC+9 Ingo Karkat:
            >
            > > On 30-Apr-2013 06:38 +0200, nayuri.aohime wrote:
            >

            > > > Hi,
            >

            > > > Fixed the display of listchars characters on the cursorline & visual-mode.
            >

            > > > I've created a patch of two patterns.
            >

            > > > I should not be judged because it is personal preference.
            >

            > > > SpecialKey_overrides_CursorLine.patch
            >

            > > > -> Every highlighting listchars chatscters.
            >

            > > > CursorLine_overrides_SpecialKey.patch
            >

            > > > -> Easy to use because it is similar to the current version.
            >

            > > > comparison.png
            >

            > > > -> Please refer.
            >

            > > > It is a comparison image in the following settings.
            >

            > > > :colorscheme delek
            >

            > > > :set cursorline list listchars=eol:$,tab:>-,trail:~,nbsp:%
            >

            > > > I prefer the CursorLine_overrides_SpecialKey.patch version.
            >

            > > +1 from me; I also think the CursorLine_overrides_SpecialKey.patch is
            >

            > > better. Thank you for including the graphical comparison; that's really
            >

            > > helpful!
            >

            > > Though purely cosmetic, this issue is indeed disturbing people; e.g. see
            >

            > > the following Stack Overflow questions about this:
            >

            > > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8248872/in-vim-can-you-stop-the-color-change-of-white-space-characters-with-set-cursorl
            >

            > > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15606098/set-visibility-and-or-color-of-listchars-or-conceal-cchar-in-vim-when-cursorline
            >

            > > -- regards, ingo
            >
            > Hi,
            >

            > I've found a bug in the previous patch, but fixed.
            >
            > Contents of the bug are:
            >
            > * set list listchars=eol:$ conceallevel=1 concealcursor=nvic
            >
            > * syntax match NonText / / conceal cchar=.
            >
            > * Insert space(0x20), not displayed eol character.
            >

            > SpecialKey_overrides_CursorLine_ver2.patch
            >
            > -> Every highlighting listchars chatscters & conceal characters.
            >

            > CursorLine_overrides_SpecialKey_ver2.patch
            >
            > -> Easy to use because it is similar to the current version.
            >

            > This patches is ConcealCharacters will be treated the same as SpecialKey.
            >
            > Make the other versions it is easy.
            >

            > Best regards,
            >
            > DeaR

            Hi,

            Sorry, ver2 patches have a bug, but fixed it.
            Contents of the bug are:
            * :set number foldenable cuesorline
            * Not highlighting line number columns & fold columns.

            Best regards,
            DeaR

          • mattn
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 25, 2014
              Bram, It's a definite bug, and he provides awesome fix. Let's merge which one!

            • mattn
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 25, 2014
                On Wednesday, November 26, 2014 9:34:27 AM UTC+9, mattn wrote:
                > Bram, It's a definite bug, and he provides awesome fix. Let's merge which one!

                presuku updated above patch. This patch is better than above.

                https://gist.github.com/presuku/d3d6b230b9b6dcfc0477

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 27, 2014
                  Yasuhiro Matsumoto wrote:

                  > On Wednesday, November 26, 2014 9:34:27 AM UTC+9, mattn wrote:
                  > > Bram, It's a definite bug, and he provides awesome fix. Let's merge
                  > > which one!
                  >
                  > presuku updated above patch. This patch is better than above.
                  >
                  > https://gist.github.com/presuku/d3d6b230b9b6dcfc0477

                  Thanks. I can't find an item in the todo list for this, did one exist?

                  --
                  The chat program is in public domain. This is not the GNU public license.
                  If it breaks then you get to keep both pieces.

                • Rafael Rinaldi
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 30, 2016
                    On Tuesday, November 25, 2014 at 11:15:11 PM UTC-2, mattn wrote:
                    > On Wednesday, November 26, 2014 9:34:27 AM UTC+9, mattn wrote:
                    > > Bram, It's a definite bug, and he provides awesome fix. Let's merge which one!
                    >
                    > presuku updated above patch. This patch is better than above.
                    >
                    > https://gist.github.com/presuku/d3d6b230b9b6dcfc0477

                    I wonder if this is ever going to make it to a release? This is the most annoying thing in Vim for me.

                  • Christian Brabandt
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 31, 2016
                      Hi Rafael!

                      On Sa, 30 Jan 2016, Rafael Rinaldi wrote:

                      > On Tuesday, November 25, 2014 at 11:15:11 PM UTC-2, mattn wrote:
                      > > On Wednesday, November 26, 2014 9:34:27 AM UTC+9, mattn wrote:
                      > > > Bram, It's a definite bug, and he provides awesome fix. Let's
                      > > > merge which one!
                      > >
                      > > presuku updated above patch. This patch is better than above.
                      > >
                      > > https://gist.github.com/presuku/d3d6b230b9b6dcfc0477
                      >
                      > I wonder if this is ever going to make it to a release? This is the
                      > most annoying thing in Vim for me.

                      This is not a simple patch and it is hard to follow the logic. screen.c
                      changes are definitely messy and have in the past often broken something
                      in the past. So can you please tell us, what bug this fixes? Also tests
                      would be really appreciated ;)

                      Best,
                      Christian
                      --