Re: Access will be denied if you use POST requests more than 15 times within 4 hours from now on

    Message 1 of 15 , May 1, 2013
      Marc Weber wrote:

      > I've introduced a total limit of 500 POST requests within 4h which is
      > slightly more than POST requests happen within 24h on an average day
      > (380 posts in 24h)
      >
      > Thus if a bot uses multiple IPs, he should still fail soon
      > (unfortunately everybody else, too) - I think its more importatnt to
      > protect against attacks in these cases.. Because we don't want to delete
      > that many scripts and user accounts.
      >
      > I hope vim.sf.net is much safer now. I don't have any additional ideas.
      > So let me know whether you think these changes are appropriate.

      Thanks for doing this!

      I think we can be rather strict. If a human is doing a lot of work, we
      can ask him to try again in 4 hours. And send us a message that this
      happened, so that we can tune the limit. Perhaps for specific cases.

      Please send me a diff of the changes you made (or the new files)
      privately. Otherwise a sync from my side might overwrite your changes.
      Cc John Beckett, he is also keeping an eye on things.

      255. You work for a newspaper and your editor asks you to write an
      article about Internet addiction...in the "first person."

    • Christian Brabandt
      Message 2 of 15 , May 7, 2013
        Hi Bram!

        On Mi, 01 Mai 2013, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        > I think we can be rather strict. If a human is doing a lot of work, we
        > can ask him to try again in 4 hours. And send us a message that this
        > happened, so that we can tune the limit. Perhaps for specific cases.

        I think it just happened:

        regards,
        Christian
        --
        Es herrscht Chaos. Wir befinden uns auf einer Drehscheibe, die
        Richtung in die Zukunft ist noch nicht gefunden. Vielleicht muß diese

      • Marc Weber
        Message 3 of 15 , May 7, 2013
          Thanks for reporting - looks like he finally suceeded - and didn't read
          the message ..

          Hi xingchao,

          (this mail also goes to vim_dev mailinglist)

          If you cannot upload, you should see a message instead.
          Due to attacks we've limited actions to 15 POST requests by IP.
          Another global limit does exist.

          Do you remember which one was hit? The message should have told you.
          Eventually we should allow more operations.

          In any case - do you have any idea why "why I can't upload" is shown
          that often :) ?

          Sincerly
          Marc Weber