Re: c_no_curly_error doesn't seem to work with nested braces

  • William Budd
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 29, 2013
      > Hi! The following example contains a valid C99 (and C11) compound literal:
      >
      > post(
      > letter,
      > &(struct envelope){
      > .stamp = {
      > .value = ONE_CENT,
      > .pic = RAT
      > },
      > .address = &address
      > }
      > );
      >
      > Yet even after setting "let c_no_curly_error = 1", the last closing
      > parenthesis remains highlighted in red as if it were an error.
      >
      > However, if I remove the ".stamp = { ... }" struct member, the
      > highlight disappears, so it seems to me that c_no_curly_error can only
      > ignore un-nested pairs of braces within any given pair of parentheses.
      >
      > Can this be fixed and/or is there a workaround? I wouldn't mind
      > disabling parentheses-related error checking all together, should that
      > be what it takes.

      Sending this to vim-dev since I got no reply on the vim user list, and
      because I guess it's fair to call the above a bug (vim 7.3.875).

      I considered sending a patch of syntax/c.vim, but given that file's
      complexity, chances are I'd end up breaking something without even
      noticing. Would be happy if a dev could take a look.

      Thanks,
      Will

    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 29, 2013
        On 30/04/13 03:23, William Budd wrote:
        >> Hi! The following example contains a valid C99 (and C11) compound literal:
        >>
        >> post(
        >> letter,
        >> &(struct envelope){
        >> .stamp = {
        >> .value = ONE_CENT,
        >> .pic = RAT
        >> },
        >> .address = &address
        >> }
        >> );
        >>
        >> Yet even after setting "let c_no_curly_error = 1", the last closing
        >> parenthesis remains highlighted in red as if it were an error.
        >>
        >> However, if I remove the ".stamp = { ... }" struct member, the
        >> highlight disappears, so it seems to me that c_no_curly_error can only
        >> ignore un-nested pairs of braces within any given pair of parentheses.
        >>
        >> Can this be fixed and/or is there a workaround? I wouldn't mind
        >> disabling parentheses-related error checking all together, should that
        >> be what it takes.
        >
        > Sending this to vim-dev since I got no reply on the vim user list, and
        > because I guess it's fair to call the above a bug (vim 7.3.875).
        >
        > I considered sending a patch of syntax/c.vim, but given that file's
        > complexity, chances are I'd end up breaking something without even
        > noticing. Would be happy if a dev could take a look.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Will

        syntax/c.vim is by Bram Moolenaar, and AFAIK he reads both vim_use and
        vim_dev; but he has a full-time job (well, minus one day per week by
        which Google sponsorizes Vim), and I think he is quite busy, even when
        he isn't visiting the Kibaale project in Uganda.

        If an S and an I and an O and a U
        With an X at the end spell Su;
        And an E and a Y and an E spell I,
        Pray what is a speller to do?
        Then, if also an S and an I and a G
        And an HED spell side,
        There's nothing much left for a speller to do
        But to go commit siouxeyesighed.
        -- Charles Follen Adams, "An Orthographic Lament"