Re: [REQUEST] Officially drop support for

  • Marc Weber
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 28, 2013
      Excerpts from Bram Moolenaar's message of Sun Apr 28 15:07:32 +0200 2013:
      > So we would require at least Python 2.3, right?
      > It was released in 2003, ten years ago.
      > I think that would be OK, unless there is a system that is stuck with
      > Python 2.2.
      Even then people could continue using older Vim versions.
      Having nice python support should be a higher priority.
      Because scripting support differing from VimL may have an positive
      effect on Vim's future IMHO.

      Marc Weber

    • ZyX
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 28, 2013
        > So we would require at least Python 2.3, right?
        > It was released in 2003, ten years ago.
        > I think that would be OK, unless there is a system that is stuck with
        > Python 2.2.

        I already made a patch to make it work on python-2.2 (not pushed currently). Test passes not completely†, but they indicate that python-2.2 is usable. I have not checked python versions other then 2.2‡ and (2.7 + 3.2).

        † problem is with settrace test and with my vim.options; latter is working fine, but old python uses 0 in place of False. There are also strange errors about negative (-1) refcount at DESTRUCTOR_FINISH calls for some WindowDestructor and ListDestructor, I do not know why.

        ‡ no dynamic python and no python3 as I don’t know how to force vim load needed library; while LD_LIBRARY_PATH works fine for ld.so

      • ZyX
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 28, 2013
          Note: when I say “python 2.2” here I mean “python 2.2.3”. Python 2.2 had some problems with compiling or installing, I do not remember exactly which (2.2.3 also had problems with compiling though; I had to execute one of last steps by hand).