What does mch mean?

  • Seulgi Kim
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 26, 2013
      Hi, everyone.
      I've started to see the source today, and I have a question about the naming.
      What does "mch" mean?
      A lot of function has "mch" in name, but I cannot find no clue.

      What does it mean?
      Is there a documents to explain abbreviation or rule used in the vim?

    • glts
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 26, 2013
        Seulgi,

        On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 8:23 PM, Seulgi Kim <sgkim126@...> wrote:
        > Hi, everyone.
        > I've started to see the source today, and I have a question about the naming.
        > What does "mch" mean?
        > A lot of function has "mch" in name, but I cannot find no clue.
        >
        > What does it mean?
        > Is there a documents to explain abbreviation or rule used in the vim?

        After browsing around in the code for a few minutes I would hazard it
        means "machine-dependent".

        Two things I used to find this information: (1) a combination of the
        commands "*" and ":vimgrep // *.[ch]", and especially (2) the command
        "g CTRL-]".

        :h *
        :h :vim
        :h g_CTRL-]

        Best,
        David

      • Charles
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 28, 2013
          On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 1:23 AM, Seulgi Kim <sgkim126@...> wrote:
          Hi, everyone.
          I've started to see the source today, and I have a question about the naming.
          What does "mch" mean?
           A lot of function has "mch" in name, but I cannot find no clue.

          In ui.c

          /*
           * ui.c: functions that handle the user interface.
           * 1. Keyboard input stuff, and a bit of windowing stuff.  These are called
           *    before the machine specific stuff (mch_*) so that we can call the GUI
           *    stuff instead if the GUI is running.
           * 2. Clipboard stuff.
           * 3. Input buffer stuff.
           */