Re: Issue 131 in vim: Wrong phrasing in runtime/tutor/tutor

  • John Little
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 24, 2013
      On Thursday, April 25, 2013 10:01:41 AM UTC+12, Ben Fritz wrote:

      > I think it's correct as written, but phrased a little strangely.

      The confusion seems IMO caused by the "highly informal" usage "substitute X with Y" which "should be avoided in standard English" according to my dictionary, the Concise Oxford, which recommends "substitute Y for X", the original wording.

      Regards, John Little

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 25, 2013
        Comment #1 on issue 131 by Go.Zu...@...: Wrong phrasing in
        runtime/tutor/tutor

        I think that:
        to substitute 'new' for 'old' is equivalent with: to replace old with new

        issue notifications to this address.

      • Ben Fritz
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 26, 2013
          On Thursday, April 25, 2013 5:21:41 PM UTC-5, v...@... wrote:
          > Comment #1 on issue 131 by Go.Zu...@...: Wrong phrasing in
          >
          > runtime/tutor/tutor
          >
          > http://code.google.com/p/vim/issues/detail?id=131
          >

          > I think that:
          >
          > to substitute 'new' for 'old' is equivalent with: to replace old with new

          It is, but it's a less commonly used phrasing, so it is confusing to some.

          I see the meaning but the OP reversed the meaning.

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 30, 2014
            Updates:

            Comment #2 on issue 131 by chrisbr...@...: Wrong phrasing in
            runtime/tutor/tutor