Re: Issue 131 in vim: Wrong phrasing in runtime/tutor/tutor

  • tooth pik
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 24, 2013
      On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 03:01:41PM -0700, Ben Fritz wrote:
      > On Wednesday, April 24, 2013 12:56:20 PM UTC-5, v...@... wrote:
      > >

      > > "* Type :s/old/new/g to substitute 'new' for 'old'."
      > >
      > > should be:
      > >
      > > "* Type :s/old/new/g to substitute 'old' for 'new'."
      > >

      > I think it's correct as written, but phrased a little strangely.

      > I'd rather it say, "Type :s/old/new/g to replace 'old' with 'new'."

      I'm guessing here but I bet it was written as it was so as to give the
      user a mnemonic for remembering the :s/// command, specifically the
      word "substitute" -- the use of the words "old" and "new" in the
      example should remove any doubt as to what happens when it's invoked

    • John Little
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 24, 2013
        On Thursday, April 25, 2013 10:01:41 AM UTC+12, Ben Fritz wrote:

        > I think it's correct as written, but phrased a little strangely.

        The confusion seems IMO caused by the "highly informal" usage "substitute X with Y" which "should be avoided in standard English" according to my dictionary, the Concise Oxford, which recommends "substitute Y for X", the original wording.

        Regards, John Little

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 25, 2013
          Comment #1 on issue 131 by Go.Zu...@...: Wrong phrasing in
          runtime/tutor/tutor

          I think that:
          to substitute 'new' for 'old' is equivalent with: to replace old with new

          issue notifications to this address.

        • Ben Fritz
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 26, 2013
            On Thursday, April 25, 2013 5:21:41 PM UTC-5, v...@... wrote:
            > Comment #1 on issue 131 by Go.Zu...@...: Wrong phrasing in
            >
            > runtime/tutor/tutor
            >
            > http://code.google.com/p/vim/issues/detail?id=131
            >

            > I think that:
            >
            > to substitute 'new' for 'old' is equivalent with: to replace old with new

            It is, but it's a less commonly used phrasing, so it is confusing to some.

            I see the meaning but the OP reversed the meaning.

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 30, 2014
              Updates:

              Comment #2 on issue 131 by chrisbr...@...: Wrong phrasing in
              runtime/tutor/tutor