Re: Issue 131 in vim: Wrong phrasing in runtime/tutor/tutor

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 24, 2013
      On Wednesday, April 24, 2013 12:56:20 PM UTC-5, v...@... wrote:

      > "* Type :s/old/new/g to substitute 'new' for 'old'."
      >
      > should be:
      >
      > "* Type :s/old/new/g to substitute 'old' for 'new'."

      I think it's correct as written, but phrased a little strangely.

      I'd rather it say, "Type :s/old/new/g to replace 'old' with 'new'."

    • tooth pik
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 24, 2013
        On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 03:01:41PM -0700, Ben Fritz wrote:
        > On Wednesday, April 24, 2013 12:56:20 PM UTC-5, v...@... wrote:
        > >

        > > "* Type :s/old/new/g to substitute 'new' for 'old'."
        > >
        > > should be:
        > >
        > > "* Type :s/old/new/g to substitute 'old' for 'new'."
        > >

        > I think it's correct as written, but phrased a little strangely.

        > I'd rather it say, "Type :s/old/new/g to replace 'old' with 'new'."

        I'm guessing here but I bet it was written as it was so as to give the
        user a mnemonic for remembering the :s/// command, specifically the
        word "substitute" -- the use of the words "old" and "new" in the
        example should remove any doubt as to what happens when it's invoked

      • John Little
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 24, 2013
          On Thursday, April 25, 2013 10:01:41 AM UTC+12, Ben Fritz wrote:

          > I think it's correct as written, but phrased a little strangely.

          The confusion seems IMO caused by the "highly informal" usage "substitute X with Y" which "should be avoided in standard English" according to my dictionary, the Concise Oxford, which recommends "substitute Y for X", the original wording.

          Regards, John Little

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 25, 2013
            Comment #1 on issue 131 by Go.Zu...@...: Wrong phrasing in
            runtime/tutor/tutor

            I think that:
            to substitute 'new' for 'old' is equivalent with: to replace old with new

            issue notifications to this address.

          • Ben Fritz
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 26, 2013
              On Thursday, April 25, 2013 5:21:41 PM UTC-5, v...@... wrote:
              > Comment #1 on issue 131 by Go.Zu...@...: Wrong phrasing in
              >
              > runtime/tutor/tutor
              >
              > http://code.google.com/p/vim/issues/detail?id=131
              >

              > I think that:
              >
              > to substitute 'new' for 'old' is equivalent with: to replace old with new

              It is, but it's a less commonly used phrasing, so it is confusing to some.

              I see the meaning but the OP reversed the meaning.

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 30, 2014
                Updates:

                Comment #2 on issue 131 by chrisbr...@...: Wrong phrasing in
                runtime/tutor/tutor