Re: Issue 131 in vim: Wrong phrasing in runtime/tutor/tutor

  • Gary Johnson
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 24 11:49 AM
      On 2013-04-24, tooth pik wrote:
      > On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 05:56:20PM +0000, vim@... wrote:
      > > Owner: ----
      > > Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium
      >
      > > New issue 131 by jlmendez...@...: Wrong phrasing in
      > > runtime/tutor/tutor
      > > http://code.google.com/p/vim/issues/detail?id=131
      >
      > > https://code.google.com/p/vim/source/browse/runtime/tutor/tutor#557
      >
      > > "* Type :s/old/new/g to substitute 'new' for 'old'."
      > > should be:
      > > "* Type :s/old/new/g to substitute 'old' for 'new'."
      >
      > > I doubt anyone is getting confused by this though...
      >
      > I am now

      Me, too. It was correct in the first place.

      Regards,
      Gary

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 24 3:01 PM
        On Wednesday, April 24, 2013 12:56:20 PM UTC-5, v...@... wrote:

        > "* Type :s/old/new/g to substitute 'new' for 'old'."
        >
        > should be:
        >
        > "* Type :s/old/new/g to substitute 'old' for 'new'."

        I think it's correct as written, but phrased a little strangely.

        I'd rather it say, "Type :s/old/new/g to replace 'old' with 'new'."

      • tooth pik
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 24 6:17 PM
          On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 03:01:41PM -0700, Ben Fritz wrote:
          > On Wednesday, April 24, 2013 12:56:20 PM UTC-5, v...@... wrote:
          > >

          > > "* Type :s/old/new/g to substitute 'new' for 'old'."
          > >
          > > should be:
          > >
          > > "* Type :s/old/new/g to substitute 'old' for 'new'."
          > >

          > I think it's correct as written, but phrased a little strangely.

          > I'd rather it say, "Type :s/old/new/g to replace 'old' with 'new'."

          I'm guessing here but I bet it was written as it was so as to give the
          user a mnemonic for remembering the :s/// command, specifically the
          word "substitute" -- the use of the words "old" and "new" in the
          example should remove any doubt as to what happens when it's invoked

        • John Little
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 24 6:33 PM
            On Thursday, April 25, 2013 10:01:41 AM UTC+12, Ben Fritz wrote:

            > I think it's correct as written, but phrased a little strangely.

            The confusion seems IMO caused by the "highly informal" usage "substitute X with Y" which "should be avoided in standard English" according to my dictionary, the Concise Oxford, which recommends "substitute Y for X", the original wording.

            Regards, John Little

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 25 3:21 PM
              Comment #1 on issue 131 by Go.Zu...@...: Wrong phrasing in
              runtime/tutor/tutor

              I think that:
              to substitute 'new' for 'old' is equivalent with: to replace old with new

              issue notifications to this address.

            • Ben Fritz
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 26 8:02 AM
                On Thursday, April 25, 2013 5:21:41 PM UTC-5, v...@... wrote:
                > Comment #1 on issue 131 by Go.Zu...@...: Wrong phrasing in
                >
                > runtime/tutor/tutor
                >
                > http://code.google.com/p/vim/issues/detail?id=131
                >

                > I think that:
                >
                > to substitute 'new' for 'old' is equivalent with: to replace old with new

                It is, but it's a less commonly used phrasing, so it is confusing to some.

                I see the meaning but the OP reversed the meaning.

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 30, 2014
                  Updates:

                  Comment #2 on issue 131 by chrisbr...@...: Wrong phrasing in
                  runtime/tutor/tutor