Re: Issue 131 in vim: Wrong phrasing in runtime/tutor/tutor

  • tooth pik
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 24, 2013
      On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 05:56:20PM +0000, vim@... wrote:
      > Owner: ----
      > Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

      > New issue 131 by jlmendez...@...: Wrong phrasing in
      > runtime/tutor/tutor
      > http://code.google.com/p/vim/issues/detail?id=131

      > https://code.google.com/p/vim/source/browse/runtime/tutor/tutor#557

      > "* Type :s/old/new/g to substitute 'new' for 'old'."
      > should be:
      > "* Type :s/old/new/g to substitute 'old' for 'new'."

      > I doubt anyone is getting confused by this though...

      I am now

    • Gary Johnson
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 24, 2013
        On 2013-04-24, tooth pik wrote:
        > On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 05:56:20PM +0000, vim@... wrote:
        > > Owner: ----
        > > Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium
        >
        > > New issue 131 by jlmendez...@...: Wrong phrasing in
        > > runtime/tutor/tutor
        > > http://code.google.com/p/vim/issues/detail?id=131
        >
        > > https://code.google.com/p/vim/source/browse/runtime/tutor/tutor#557
        >
        > > "* Type :s/old/new/g to substitute 'new' for 'old'."
        > > should be:
        > > "* Type :s/old/new/g to substitute 'old' for 'new'."
        >
        > > I doubt anyone is getting confused by this though...
        >
        > I am now

        Me, too. It was correct in the first place.

        Regards,
        Gary

      • Ben Fritz
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 24, 2013
          On Wednesday, April 24, 2013 12:56:20 PM UTC-5, v...@... wrote:

          > "* Type :s/old/new/g to substitute 'new' for 'old'."
          >
          > should be:
          >
          > "* Type :s/old/new/g to substitute 'old' for 'new'."

          I think it's correct as written, but phrased a little strangely.

          I'd rather it say, "Type :s/old/new/g to replace 'old' with 'new'."

        • tooth pik
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 24, 2013
            On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 03:01:41PM -0700, Ben Fritz wrote:
            > On Wednesday, April 24, 2013 12:56:20 PM UTC-5, v...@... wrote:
            > >

            > > "* Type :s/old/new/g to substitute 'new' for 'old'."
            > >
            > > should be:
            > >
            > > "* Type :s/old/new/g to substitute 'old' for 'new'."
            > >

            > I think it's correct as written, but phrased a little strangely.

            > I'd rather it say, "Type :s/old/new/g to replace 'old' with 'new'."

            I'm guessing here but I bet it was written as it was so as to give the
            user a mnemonic for remembering the :s/// command, specifically the
            word "substitute" -- the use of the words "old" and "new" in the
            example should remove any doubt as to what happens when it's invoked

          • John Little
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 24, 2013
              On Thursday, April 25, 2013 10:01:41 AM UTC+12, Ben Fritz wrote:

              > I think it's correct as written, but phrased a little strangely.

              The confusion seems IMO caused by the "highly informal" usage "substitute X with Y" which "should be avoided in standard English" according to my dictionary, the Concise Oxford, which recommends "substitute Y for X", the original wording.

              Regards, John Little

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 25, 2013
                Comment #1 on issue 131 by Go.Zu...@...: Wrong phrasing in
                runtime/tutor/tutor

                I think that:
                to substitute 'new' for 'old' is equivalent with: to replace old with new

                issue notifications to this address.

              • Ben Fritz
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 26, 2013
                  On Thursday, April 25, 2013 5:21:41 PM UTC-5, v...@... wrote:
                  > Comment #1 on issue 131 by Go.Zu...@...: Wrong phrasing in
                  >
                  > runtime/tutor/tutor
                  >
                  > http://code.google.com/p/vim/issues/detail?id=131
                  >

                  > I think that:
                  >
                  > to substitute 'new' for 'old' is equivalent with: to replace old with new

                  It is, but it's a less commonly used phrasing, so it is confusing to some.

                  I see the meaning but the OP reversed the meaning.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 30, 2014
                    Updates:

                    Comment #2 on issue 131 by chrisbr...@...: Wrong phrasing in
                    runtime/tutor/tutor