Issue 131 in vim: Wrong phrasing in runtime/tutor/tutor

  • vim@...
      Owner: ----
      Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

      New issue 131 by jlmendez...@...: Wrong phrasing in
      runtime/tutor/tutor

      https://code.google.com/p/vim/source/browse/runtime/tutor/tutor#557

      "* Type :s/old/new/g to substitute 'new' for 'old'."
      should be:
      "* Type :s/old/new/g to substitute 'old' for 'new'."

      I doubt anyone is getting confused by this though...

      issue notifications to this address.

    • tooth pik
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 24 11:05 AM
        On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 05:56:20PM +0000, vim@... wrote:
        > Owner: ----
        > Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

        > New issue 131 by jlmendez...@...: Wrong phrasing in
        > runtime/tutor/tutor
        > http://code.google.com/p/vim/issues/detail?id=131

        > https://code.google.com/p/vim/source/browse/runtime/tutor/tutor#557

        > "* Type :s/old/new/g to substitute 'new' for 'old'."
        > should be:
        > "* Type :s/old/new/g to substitute 'old' for 'new'."

        > I doubt anyone is getting confused by this though...

        I am now

      • Gary Johnson
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 24 11:49 AM
          On 2013-04-24, tooth pik wrote:
          > On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 05:56:20PM +0000, vim@... wrote:
          > > Owner: ----
          > > Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium
          >
          > > New issue 131 by jlmendez...@...: Wrong phrasing in
          > > runtime/tutor/tutor
          > > http://code.google.com/p/vim/issues/detail?id=131
          >
          > > https://code.google.com/p/vim/source/browse/runtime/tutor/tutor#557
          >
          > > "* Type :s/old/new/g to substitute 'new' for 'old'."
          > > should be:
          > > "* Type :s/old/new/g to substitute 'old' for 'new'."
          >
          > > I doubt anyone is getting confused by this though...
          >
          > I am now

          Me, too. It was correct in the first place.

          Regards,
          Gary

        • Ben Fritz
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 24 3:01 PM
            On Wednesday, April 24, 2013 12:56:20 PM UTC-5, v...@... wrote:

            > "* Type :s/old/new/g to substitute 'new' for 'old'."
            >
            > should be:
            >
            > "* Type :s/old/new/g to substitute 'old' for 'new'."

            I think it's correct as written, but phrased a little strangely.

            I'd rather it say, "Type :s/old/new/g to replace 'old' with 'new'."

          • tooth pik
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 24 6:17 PM
              On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 03:01:41PM -0700, Ben Fritz wrote:
              > On Wednesday, April 24, 2013 12:56:20 PM UTC-5, v...@... wrote:
              > >

              > > "* Type :s/old/new/g to substitute 'new' for 'old'."
              > >
              > > should be:
              > >
              > > "* Type :s/old/new/g to substitute 'old' for 'new'."
              > >

              > I think it's correct as written, but phrased a little strangely.

              > I'd rather it say, "Type :s/old/new/g to replace 'old' with 'new'."

              I'm guessing here but I bet it was written as it was so as to give the
              user a mnemonic for remembering the :s/// command, specifically the
              word "substitute" -- the use of the words "old" and "new" in the
              example should remove any doubt as to what happens when it's invoked

            • John Little
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 24 6:33 PM
                On Thursday, April 25, 2013 10:01:41 AM UTC+12, Ben Fritz wrote:

                > I think it's correct as written, but phrased a little strangely.

                The confusion seems IMO caused by the "highly informal" usage "substitute X with Y" which "should be avoided in standard English" according to my dictionary, the Concise Oxford, which recommends "substitute Y for X", the original wording.

                Regards, John Little

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 25 3:21 PM
                  Comment #1 on issue 131 by Go.Zu...@...: Wrong phrasing in
                  runtime/tutor/tutor

                  I think that:
                  to substitute 'new' for 'old' is equivalent with: to replace old with new

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 26 8:02 AM
                    On Thursday, April 25, 2013 5:21:41 PM UTC-5, v...@... wrote:
                    > Comment #1 on issue 131 by Go.Zu...@...: Wrong phrasing in
                    >
                    > runtime/tutor/tutor
                    >
                    > http://code.google.com/p/vim/issues/detail?id=131
                    >

                    > I think that:
                    >
                    > to substitute 'new' for 'old' is equivalent with: to replace old with new

                    It is, but it's a less commonly used phrasing, so it is confusing to some.

                    I see the meaning but the OP reversed the meaning.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 30, 2014
                      Updates:

                      Comment #2 on issue 131 by chrisbr...@...: Wrong phrasing in
                      runtime/tutor/tutor