support of PNG toolbar icons in Windows build of gvim

  • Martin Gieseking
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 18, 2013
      Hi,

      since I'd like to see a more modern looking toolbar in the Windows version of gvim, I played around with the code and added optional support for PNG toolbar icons (instead of BMP). It can be enabled in the Makefile.

      Many icon sets like oxygen, tango, or the Gnome icon set provide nice 22x22 PNG icons that currently can't be used with gvim (Windows) out of the box but must be converted and resized. The attached patch offers the additional Makefile option PNG_ICONS that, if enabled, enlarges the toolbar icon height from 18 to 22 pixels, and replaces the default toolbar (see attached screenshot). The icons used in this toolbar are taken from the oxygen and gnome icon set. They can be overwritten by PNG files placed in folder ~/vimfiles/bitmaps. The PNG support doesn't require additional libraries but uses GDI+ functions provided by Windows itself.

      The attached patch (in git/hg format) expects the patch given in bug #129 (http://code.google.com/p/vim/issues/detail?id=129) to be applied. I only adapted the MinGW Makefile because I don't have Visual Studio installed.

      I hope this extension might be useful for others too.

      Martin