Re: RDF manifests highlighted as error from line 2 to the end

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 8, 2013
      Axel Castellane wrote:

      > Sorry for the late answer. redif files do have comments that start with
      > /^#/, but they are likely to have no comment at all since they are very
      > self-explicit...
      >
      > However, any redif file must have a name in *.rdf, and must also have its
      > first line, except for potential comments, in /^\ctemplate-type:/.
      > Something like
      >
      > let lnum = 1
      > while lnum <= 5
      > let s:line =getline(lnum)
      > if s:line =~ "^\ctemplate-type:"
      > setf redif
      > endif
      > let lnum = lnum + 1
      > endwhile
      >
      > that happens inside an autocommand for *.rdf files is most likely to catch
      > 99% of redif files. I hope it helps.

      OK, now I have this at line 2566 of filetype.vim:

      " ReDIF
      " Only used when the .rdf file was not detected to be XML.
      au BufRead,BufNewFile *.rdf call s:Redif()
      func! s:Redif()
      let lnum = 1
      while lnum <= 5 && lnum < line('$')
      if getline(lnum) =~ "^\ctemplate-type:"
      setf redif
      return
      endif
      let lnum = lnum + 1
      endwhile
      endfunc

      > Finally, I attached a new version of the syntax file.

      I'll include it, thanks.

      136. You decide to stay in a low-paying job teaching just for the
      free Internet access.

    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 8, 2013
        On 08/04/13 05:34, Axel Castellane wrote:
        > Sorry for the late answer. redif files do have comments that start with
        > /^#/, but they are likely to have no comment at all since they are very
        > self-explicit...
        >
        > However, any redif file must have a name in *.rdf, and must also have [...]

        This is an unhappy choice, since the W3C recommends *.rdf (with an
        all-lowercase extension) for RDF/XML files, see
        http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-syntax-grammar/#section-MIME-Type

        However, ReDIF seems rather confidential: I could find nothing about it
        on Wikipedia (in any of English, French and German, except as the
        reserve force of former Turkish and Egyptian armies), and a Google
        search yielded only
        http://econpapers.repec.org/paper/rpcrdfdoc/redif.htm which resends to
        http://openlib.org/acmes/root/docu/redif_1.html — a document dated
        2007-06-01, with no Table of Contents, where the string "rdf" does not
        appear at all (in any character case), and where it is said that the
        default charset for ReDIF files is Windows-1252 (!), though UTF-8 is
        recommended and must be heralded by a BOM.

        Couldn't RePEc and the W3C agree on file extensions? Isn't there a
        central place where extensions and MIME types (application/rdf+xml, in
        the case of RDF/XML files) are registered? Or do organizations grab any
        three-letter group that suits their fancy, without checking if someone
        somewhere uses the same file extension for a different purpose?

        Learned men are the cisterns of knowledge, not the fountainheads.

      • Tony Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 9, 2013
          On 09/04/13 04:55, Axel Castellane wrote:
          > Sorry Tony, but I believe that RePEc (the organization that uses ReDIF
          > files) does not understand so much about the consistency of file
          > extensions and everything related to the Internet. It is not its area of
          > expertise. Its main focus is economics. Formatted text and Internet are
          > just convenient tools for classifying the papers, authors, etc. and
          > doing some statistics. I think that at the time they started their
          > service, they did not even know that another type of files had a .rdf
          > extension... Most probably, they did not even know about W3C.

          !!!
          And from what I read in that HTML page, it seemed to me that to them,
          the existence of non-Windows operating systems is some quaint feature of
          out-of the way places… They know about it, but only in passing… Or maybe
          I am overgeneralizing.

          > By the way, RePEc is the largest database of working papers of
          > economics. It also cross-registers references about most of the journals
          > of economic literature. It is referenced on Google Scholar. It publishes
          > a ranking of authors which is used a lot in the job market of
          > researchers in economics. In a word, it is quite big. To browse the
          > statistics of any paper, article, author or institution, go on
          > http://ideas.repec.org/. It is not really "confidential". I would say it
          > is more like a niche, which does not attract so many wikipedia
          > contributors, hence its low visibility on Internet, I guess.

          OK, let's call it a niche; it might be of interest to my nephew who has,
          IIUC, an economy degree, but to me, who studied math, worked at various
          times as a computer programmer (in COBOL and assembly language), a
          teacher (math/physics, to children ages 12 to 15) or a translator
          (English and Dutch into French), they could just as well be on another
          planet.

          > I think the new filetype.vim is really highly unlikely to catch anything
          > else than a ReDIF file, so it is not a big deal that it uses a wrong
          > file extension.

          Good. IIUC, with the new filetype.vim, *.rdf files which look like XML
          will be detected as filetype=xml, those which have a redif header will
          be detected as filetype=redif, and if a file comes about which is
          neither, its filetype won't be set unless it fits some other filetype's
          criteria.

          > Finally, I think that the file extension cannot be changed, because the
          > script that reads ReDIF files silently ignores all other files, and I
          > have heard that the person who programmed it (in Perl...) some time ago
          > is not maintaining it anymore...

          Oh, I'm sure there still exist some working programmers with a knowledge
          of Perl, the problem would be what to decide and how to implement it,
          without throwing wrenches this way and that into all the wheels of the
          RePEc libraries. I suppose we will have to leave it unchanged, with name
          collision and all, at least for the time being.

          Feminists say 60 percent of the country's wealth is in the hands of
          women. They're letting men hold the other 40 percent because their
          handbags are full.
          -- Earl Wilson