Re: Weird:: substitute by using register with combinations

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 7, 2013
      Christian Brabandt wrote:

      > Hi William!
      >
      > On Fr, 05 Apr 2013, William Fugh wrote:
      >
      > > It's OK if execute the following in command-line directly
      > > :%s#combinations#œ̄ṣ́#g
      > >
      > > However, if like this:
      > > :let @w = "%s#combinations#œ̄ṣ́#g"
      > > :@w
      > > the combinations will be lost. :-(
      >
      > It's a combining char ;)
      >
      > BTW: Here is a patch.

      Thanks!

      --
      Birthdays are healthy. The more you have them, the longer you live.

    • John Little
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 8, 2013
        On Sunday, April 7, 2013 11:50:09 PM UTC+12, Christian Brabandt wrote:

        > Actually, it is not quite right. I forgot, there could be several
        > combining chars. So here is an updated patch.

        I checked this using the manually assembled character "œ̄́" which firefox does not render for me (gvim sort of does, when the cursor is on the character). AFAICT test 44 still does not test more than one combining character; I found "שּׁ" from
        http://www.user.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/combining-marks.html near the end, perhaps the test could use it as a real example.

        Regards, John Little

      • Christian Brabandt
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 8, 2013
          Hi John!

          On Mo, 08 Apr 2013, John Little wrote:

          > On Sunday, April 7, 2013 11:50:09 PM UTC+12, Christian Brabandt wrote:
          >
          > > Actually, it is not quite right. I forgot, there could be several
          > > combining chars. So here is an updated patch.
          >
          > I checked this using the manually assembled character "œ̄́" which firefox does not render for me (gvim sort of does, when the cursor is on the character). AFAICT test 44 still does not test more than one combining character; I found "שּׁ" from
          > http://www.user.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/combining-marks.html near the end, perhaps the test could use it as a real example.

          Hm, the test in the patch should have included a character with one
          combining char, didn't it?

          Mit freundlichen Grüßen
          Christian
          --
          Wer alles bloß des Geldes wegen tut, wird bald des Geldes wegen alles tun.
          -- Italienisches Sprichwort

        • John Little
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 8, 2013
            Yes, with one, but the test would not have found the problem (with more than one combining char) that you fixed with the second patch. I just meant to suggest that the test have such a character. If someone could find a character with more, that would be interesting, though the test might then interact with the 'maxcombine' option.

            Regards, John Little

          • William Fugh

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 26, 2013
                On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 1:17 AM, John Little <John.B.Little@...> wrote:
                > Yes, with one, but the test would not have found the problem (with more than one combining char) that you fixed with the second patch. I just meant to suggest that the test have such a character. If someone could find a character with more, that would be interesting, though the test might then interact with the 'maxcombine' option.

                For better test coverage, I added two more characters to the test, with
                two and three combining characters, respectively (real examples).

                I didn't study the patch, though.