Re: Patch 7.3.880

  • Erik Falor
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 5, 2013
      On Fri, Apr 05, 2013 at 06:59:09PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > Patch 7.3.880
      > Problem: When writing viminfo, old history lines may replace lines written
      > more recently by another Vim instance.
      > Solution: Mark history entries that were read from viminfo and overwrite
      > them when merging with the current viminfo.
      > Files: src/ex_getln.c

      This patch breaks the build on linux x86_64 when configured
      --with-features=small.

      --with-features=tiny, --with-features=normal, --with-features=big, and
      --with-features=huge, all build successfully.

      GCC gives this error:

      ex_getln.c:5385:1: warning: conflicting types for ‘clear_hist_entry’ [enabled by default]
      ex_getln.c:5385:1: error: static declaration of ‘clear_hist_entry’ follows non-static declaration
      ex_getln.c:5348:4: note: previous implicit declaration of ‘clear_hist_entry’ was here

      --
      Erik Falor http://unnovative.net
      Registered Linux User #445632 http://linuxcounter.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 5, 2013
        On Friday, April 5, 2013 3:16:54 PM UTC-5, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        > Ben Fritz wrote:
        >

        > > On Friday, April 5, 2013 11:59:09 AM UTC-5, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        >
        > > > Patch 7.3.880
        >

        > > > Problem: When writing viminfo, old history lines may replace lines written
        >

        > > > more recently by another Vim instance.
        >

        > > > Solution: Mark history entries that were read from viminfo and overwrite
        >

        > > > them when merging with the current viminfo.
        >

        > > This sounds like it's referring to command-line history and the like.
        >

        > > Could this also be done for marks and registers? Those are more
        >
        > > frequently annoying to me.
        >

        > That's a completely different part of the viminfo implementation.
        >
        > I suppose for registers something similar could be done. I'm not sure
        >
        > about marks. What marks are you thinking about?

        I was thinking about 'a, 'b, etc. included with the ' item in viminfo, but also file marks. I don't like that these can be overwritten by old data.

        Actually the same can apply to any data in .viminfo, including global variables and the buffer list.

        I'm sure all of these are annoying to some people. For me, the most annoying is when I lose modified register content due to exiting open Vim sessions in the wrong order. I don't care as much about marks. I hardly care at all about history or global variables or the buffer list.

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 6, 2013
          Erik Falor wrote:

          > On Fri, Apr 05, 2013 at 06:59:09PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > >
          > > Patch 7.3.880
          > > Problem: When writing viminfo, old history lines may replace lines written
          > > more recently by another Vim instance.
          > > Solution: Mark history entries that were read from viminfo and overwrite
          > > them when merging with the current viminfo.
          > > Files: src/ex_getln.c
          >
          > This patch breaks the build on linux x86_64 when configured
          > --with-features=small.
          >
          > --with-features=tiny, --with-features=normal, --with-features=big, and
          > --with-features=huge, all build successfully.
          >
          > GCC gives this error:
          >
          > ex_getln.c:5385:1: warning: conflicting types for ‘clear_hist_entry’ [enabled by default]
          > ex_getln.c:5385:1: error: static declaration of ‘clear_hist_entry’ follows non-static declaration
          > ex_getln.c:5348:4: note: previous implicit declaration of ‘clear_hist_entry’ was here

          Yes, I see it now too. I'l make a fix.

          127. You bring your laptop and cellular phone to church.