Re: [patch] Handle files with mixed LF - CRLF line endings when doing tag search

  • Sung Pae
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 5 2:03 AM
      On Fri, Apr 05, 2013 at 10:45:28AM +0200, Lech Lorens wrote:

      > On 03-Apr-2013 Benjamin Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:
      >
      > > I do just check in the file, without undoing the line ending
      > > modifications. Where I work we're only really concerned that all
      > > changes get peer reviewed. Plus, a good external diff tool will be
      > > able to ignore line ending changes. Maybe that doesn't work for you.
      >
      > But this makes discovering who the author of some code is (svn blame,
      > git blame, etc.) much harder.

      git blame has an "ignore whitespace" option: -w

      hg blame has the same option: -w

      svn blame apparently has the equivalent: -x -w

      guns

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 5 9:20 AM
        On Friday, April 5, 2013 3:45:28 AM UTC-5, Lech Lorens wrote:
        > On 03-Apr-2013 Benjamin Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:
        >
        > > On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 5:22 AM, Lech Lorens <lech.lorens@...> wrote:
        >

        > > > How do
        >
        > > > you cope with that? In this case I can't simply check in the file
        >
        > > > – I have to undo the line endings modifications which is quite a tedious
        >
        > > > and annoying task.
        >

        > > I do just check in the file, without undoing the line ending modifications.
        >
        > > Where I work we're only really concerned that all changes get peer reviewed.
        >
        > > Plus, a good external diff tool will be able to ignore line ending changes.
        >
        > > Maybe that doesn't work for you.
        >

        > But this makes discovering who the author of some code is (svn blame,
        >
        > git blame, etc.) much harder. Which means it will not be allowed. I would
        >
        > really love to go this path but I can't and the decision is not up to
        >
        > me.

        Well, svn blame at least has an "ignore whitespace" option. I don't know about other systems, or whether this is TortoiseSVN magic instead of a built-in thing.