Re: [RFC] Adding alias command to ease supporting Python 2 and 3.

  • Naoki INADA
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 4, 2013
      I agree with you.

      > > So :python is specified python2 or python3 if it possible. And if both are enabled, I prefer it's python3.

      I feel it is too aggressive for right now.
      I prefer :python means oldest python always and just wait python2 disabled on most platforms.

      2013年4月4日木曜日 18時37分06秒 UTC+9 Paul Moore:

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 4, 2013
        Paul Moore wrote:

        > On Tuesday, 2 April 2013 12:28:40 UTC+1, mattn wrote:
        > > I prefer rename python in current to python2, And define aliased command 'python'.
        > > And I think that command must not be modifiable for users.
        > > So :python is specified python2 or python3 if it possible. And if both are enabled, I prefer it's python3.
        >
        > I agree. Python 3 is becoming more common, so at some point having "python" mean "Python 2" will become obsolete. It requires some work to write Python code that is portable between Python 2 and 3, but it is certainly possible (and indeed it is the recommended approach to writing Python code that is portable between 2 and 3 these days).
        >
        > Very definitely, having :python mean "whichever of Python 2 or 3 is
        > compiled in" makes sense.

        Actually it doesn't. Python 2 and 3 are not compatible. You can't use
        :python without knowing what version it is. Therefore :python will
        always mean Python 2. Otherwise some percentage of the scripts will
        just not work.

        If you don't like this, complain to those who decided to make Python 3
        not compatible with Python 2.

        --
        "A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory."
        -- Steven Wright

      • INADA Naoki
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 4, 2013
          You're right, but...

          Actually it doesn't.  Python 2 and 3 are not compatible.  You can't use
          :python  without knowing what version it is.

          These days, many Python libraries support both of Python 2 and 3 in one source.
          For those, Python 2 and 3 are compatible at some level.

          Jedi-vim uses alias command like this:

          if has('python')
              command! -nargs=1 Python python <args>
          else
              command! -nargs=1 Python python3 <args>
          end

          But, user defined commands can't be script/plugin local.
          So having standard command like it is good idea.

           Therefore :python will
          always mean Python 2.  Otherwise some percentage of the scripts will
          just not work.

          If vim is build with -python +python3, those script just not work, too.
          So, :python fallback to python3 doesn't break any scripts.

          --
          INADA Naoki  <songofacandy@...>

        • Naoki INADA
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 5, 2013
            This path makes :python fallback to :pytohn3 when -python and +python3.